Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
I know that and appreciate that! And I do my best to make sure she feels loved, too.
She's well cared for by my family members, she's on Harrisons high potency fine (seems she love it) and fresh fruits. She can't have as much "out of cage" time there as she normally have at home, but she definitely is not alone staying there!

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Cytrynka still undergoes intensive molting that started around July. She's full of pin feathers, now she sports a nice hedgehog under her beak :)

pin_feathers_invasion.jpg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
This thread has some of the most beautiful photos EVVVVVER!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Sooooooooooooooo cute!
You can help her preen those feathers (btw) as long as you leave space between where you rub off the keratin and the blood-supply. You may already know this, but just thought I would mention it.

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
I'm trying to help her, but finally it's up to her if she wants me to "preen" her or not. Sometimes she wants me to help her, sometimes she gets upset (and then I pass). Maybe I don't do it the best way (as she sometimes "beaks me off"), but I try to be as gentle as I can.

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Thanks for your thumbs-up :) So here comes another one of my baby:
cyt_wall.jpg

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Hi fellow Parronts,

Recently I've noticed that Cytrynka became more and more cuddly to me. She's like a magnet, whenever she spots me she flies to me and want to be with me all the time.
When she's with me, she becomes aggresive towards other family members who would like to take her away frome me.

I have also noticed that she's extremely cuddly, preens me a lot and loves to dive under my shirt (damaging them promptly, one by one, to the extent that I need to wear special clothes when at home).
As she's reaching her twos, I'm wondering if this is the sign of some sexual/mating/nesting behaviour? Obviously I'm afraid she'd lay eggs, which would be extremely unfavourable (and dangerous).
Any hints? Distracting, earlier sleep time with cage covered?
Here's how she looks when cuddles.
cyt_shoulder.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I dunno, looks like a case of over-bonding to me, good luck! ;)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
She is a wonderfull looking bird ...but yes... hormones etc..

Eggbinding is something to keep an eye out for, not something to have nightmares over (till it occurs) - there are plenty of birds who do not suffer that fate ever.
Just make sure she has al the nutrients her body requires and sunlight etc. helps to prevent this.

Usually: lengthening the nights helps.
Bird hormones get stimulated by (seeing) the lenghtening of the days (real or artificial).
So keep her under covers for minimal 12, maybe even 14 hours if need be.

(mine always get extra horny in the fall -> because of the lamplight / its annoying but I cannot cover the cage -> too large)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Definitely make adjustments to the amount of day. This can fool your bird into thinking its a different season.

Sunnies need a MINIMUM of 10-12hrs of sleep a day, so anything less than that may promote egg-laying.

As far as the behaviors you are describing. You pretty much described Skittles to a T. If you are in a living situation where Cytrynka will be exposed to people on a regular basis, its best to socialize her with them. Others can probably provide better advice with that as thats not my area.

Personally, I like that Skittles is super-possessive of me. It gives me the PERFECT excuse for not having people over and also a great excuse to get out of activities or trips I don't want to be a part of.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
My Daytona is at 20mo. Fall is conure hormonal time and this is her first time. When I'm not there to sit with, she's regurgitating on the other birds or their cages and is clucky. There are ways, mentioned, for stopping egg laying. If she sneaks eggs by you, buy fake eggs or just remove them... It really depends on the bird.

Last edited:

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Right now, she finished lunch and heard me in Sherman's room. She's calling for me.

Conures choose a potential mate, "flirt" to assure the bond, mate, nest. You probably didn't even know you were being considered. Wait until you don't "do your job." Some birds bite for that! Some birds barely show hormonal signs.

I've got 3 conures and they're each acting out right now. Cytrynka is just protecting her mate. Be glad she chose you and not an inanimate object! HAHA

Aratingas are seldom subject egg binding or even egg laying unless a breeding pair. BTW, has she been DNA'd to let you be sure she's female? There are other hints but they usually aren't trustworthy until her 3rd year.

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Right now, she finished lunch and heard me in Sherman's room. She's calling for me.

Conures choose a potential mate, "flirt" to assure the bond, mate, nest. You probably didn't even know you were being considered. Wait until you don't "do your job." Some birds bite for that! Some birds barely show hormonal signs.

I've got 3 conures and they're each acting out right now. Cytrynka is just protecting her mate. Be glad she chose you and not an inanimate object! HAHA

Aratingas are seldom subject egg binding or even egg laying unless a breeding pair. BTW, has she been DNA'd to let you be sure she's female? There are other hints but they usually aren't trustworthy until her 3rd year.

It is a bit reassuring, to know that they are not overly prone to egg laying/binding. She's been DNA'd by her previous owner, so I'd say we don't have doubts she's a "she" - unfortunately, as I'd prefer "him" and not be anxious about the whole eggs issue. But she's a she and I have to live with it. Her behaviour is indeed "over protective", I'd also say, she's kind of jelaous. But only when she's with me, otherwise she's friendly to family members. Yes I feel special that I'm "choosen one", but it would be generally easier if she would get along well with all of us. Maybe she'll return to "normal" after her hormonal phase, if there's such thing as "normal" when it comes to parrots, anyway :D

Animewookie

Sep 30, 2018
New Jersey
Parrots
Family owned, son...lovebird, Tiberius
Chicken, Chelsea
Daughter, ...spectacled Amazon...Cooper, chickens...Bogart and Jim
All kids, 4 keets...Bluebird, Graybird, Cricket, Somthing
Twins chickens...
Well hey there gorgeous 😊

Most Reactions

Latest posts