Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Cytrynka started her holidays. She traveled almost 400 miles to the south of country, where she will stay for part of the holiday with my other family members and Fio (the Lovie). She will stay in a cottage, in her travelcage which is actually quite spacious, while we'll do some home renovation. Here she is in her new set-up (or maybe not that new, she's been there a year ago for her first holiday).
cyt_cottage.jpg

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I love Cytrynka's bright yellow plumage. At 1.5 yrs she's shed most of her baby green feathers but I'm curious to see if she's got a few more surprises for you. Hope she enjoys the holidays with Fiona and your family.

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
I still see plenty of dropped greenish feathers so the transformation continues, but I think it will be only visible when compare the photos as the changes will be more subtle. I don't expect I will not recognize my Birdie :)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Such beautiful yellow! Its funny to see a sunny with so much yellow and so little orange when Skittles is the exact opposite. I really like the difference (don't tell Skitty!) but Cytrynka is a beauty!

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
I'm glad you like her looks. But just as with Skittles, her appearance is just the "intro" to great personality. When it comes to looks, I believe Skittles is unusual for a sun, to have soo much deep orange on the neck and belly, almost like he was a red factor. And I know you don't consider him as red factor, but he definitely stands out from nominal in terms of his "orangeness" :D

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Its funny how so many people (particularly 'non-bird') get drawn in by the plumage of suns, but have literally NO IDEA just how opinionated and comical they are.

I swear, I think spouses have more freedom than sun owners. lol. Skittles has an opinion on EVERYTHING and he lets me know it! Sometimes its funny, sometimes its cute, and sometimes is incredibly aggravating! lol.

I've seen red factors in pictures and Skittles plumage is like 'neon', its a VERY bright orange whereas the red factors have a deep red, Skittles has more a reddish orange. But I did check with my vet and his breeder to find out for sure. lol. I have seen sunnies that look just like Skittles and I've seen sunnies that look just like Cytrynka. I love that name btw.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My Ollie seems to be in the middle of Skitty and on color. Not yellow but not red either. It's wonderful the variations they haveMy babies personally shines much brighter than his plumage also! My love, my everything, my baby Ollie. <3.

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
Suns are always stunning no matter what colors they are. Sun conures rule! I think cole(formally chloe before a dna test) looks like his dad.

Last edited:
OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun conures rule, definitely :D Small birds, packed with great personality. With Cytrynka I was visiting my friend who have lots of parrots. I wanted to interact with her friendly CAG, but Cytrynka promptly reacted and showed him "who's the man". :orange: They're truly amazing creatures.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Yeah, they have such HUGE personalities. Skittles is extremely jealous. But I've made it work to my advantage. When I call him and he decides to ignore me or 'challenge' me, I just talk sweet in my 'birdy voice' to some inanimate object (like the remote) and he flies right over as if to say "oh no you don't!". lol.

OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Good one, lol :>>
Actually today I was dicussing with my son... maybe Skittles is a member of not yet discovered sub-species of ORANGE FACTOR Sun Conures? ;):D

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
Definitely jealous little buggers. They are not liking the new lovebird I brought home. They are completely fine talking to each other across the room but if I am holding the new baby they wont even let me touch them until I put the little baby down. I got a pretty good nip from one of them:(.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Good one, lol :>>
Actually today I was dicussing with my son... maybe Skittles is a member of not yet discovered sub-species of ORANGE FACTOR Sun Conures? ;):D

Don't know. But I do know that Skittles plumage is a LOT different than when I first got him. He was 1yr-2wks old when I got him so he had his adult colors. This photo shows his color-changes. They were taken with the exact same camera and developed at the exact same place.

13164292_177853562609508_1199020800877513963_n.jpg

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Yeah he is way more oranger now than he was at a year old. I hope Ollie becomes more oranger too! &#55356;&#57162;

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Its his diet, I'm convinced of it. His feathers literally "shine", I kid you not. Not just the neon coloring (which has always been there), but the feathers have an incredible sheen on them.

Look at his beak and his feet in the first and second picture. Notice the difference?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Umm I personally don't see a difference in the beak and feet other than the feet are more flushed in the 2nd picture.

P.S. I think we hijacked this thread. :p

Last edited:
OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
So Skittles shines with both his feathers and personality :) Indeed he was already bright the moment you've adopted him. No wonder you spotted him immediately in the pet store. But now.. now his colors are so saturated you can barely see the red "glasses" around the eyepatch :) I think it's not only the diet, it's the testimony of his health and happines imo.
And regarding hijacking, any Sun hijacking is welcome :D Especially that due to my temporary separation I'm not able to post pics of Cytrynka on a frequent basis :orange:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
You could be right on that. Skittles is pampered like crazy. He's free-flighted and I can tell he is just as happy as a clam going about his day from place to place with daddy. He behaves remarkably well when I have to run errands and is all excited when I come home. I've been going out pretty much EVERY DAY for the past two months for about 1-2hrs and he's just fine. It's usually about the same time each day and on the days I don't go out, he will go in his cage on his own around the time I go out, its funny. He's like a 'sundial', get it? lol. But his diet is just PART of it, he also gets plenty of exercise and plenty of love and attention which are just as important as diet.

While it was his coloring that first caught my attention, it was actually his personality that captivated so much of my attention and led me to buy him. I've seen beautiful parrots before and while I've wanted to own a "true parrot" (yes, I know budgies are true parrots, but they are VERY delicate) I would never buy a parrot simply cause of the coloring.

I think most sun owners on this forum would say the same re: sun personalities.

PS, I have a tendency to brag about him (hence the hijack) but I only posted those pictures to answer the OPs comments about Skittles. :) But I have to say, I do think Cytrynka is just an adorable bundle of sunshine!

Last edited:
OP
Aratingettar

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
It's been over a month since Cytrynka went for a holiday with my family to the cottage in a mountainous area of the country. Fortunately I had a chance to visit them, I was curious on how will she react to me after sooo long being away.
I've arrived there just after midnight, but she was instatnly very excited and cuddly, my sweet dear conure :) She was sticking to me like a magnet so I was very happy about that. I used the time there to do some mountain hiking with my older kids, but also tried to spend as much time as possible with her. Here's Cytrynka preening my face:
cyt_preen.jpg

Love my little Conure :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That's conure love for you! Cytrynka is looking well and healthy!

Most Reactions