Here's the potential little guy!

guesswhokatysue

Jun 11, 2012
Maine, US
Parrots
Maverick (GCC)
photo2.jpg

This is the conure I talked about in my other thread..He has NO name (and we don't know if its a he or not). This one I have been told is maybe 8-10 weeks old :). I held him, he bites a little, but nothing that broke the skin. He will need some training for sure. I don't know if any experts on here can see anything wrong with him, if so, please let me know. He seemed alright to me, but then, I'm new at this!

Also, we need names! The other one had a cool name, Maverick, and we were going to keep that..but now..now we have to start from nothing (not gonna lie, we still might name this one Maverick because we liked the name). But we welcome ideas!

Last edited:

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Awww, he is adorable. Green cheeks are so adorable, I love mine so much.

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
He/She looks pretty good. I am always hesitant about buying exotic birds from a general pet store, but if you are confident the place looks like it is taking good care of all animals, then go for it.

Are they hand feeding it? Get used to the squawking. Pro-tip, if you're going to record a video of your conure on your phone, I would NOT play it back with the conure present. I did that with my iphone and she went NUTS on a squawking spree. Most likely the jailbreak call "Hey get me the hell outta here!" type.

OP
G

guesswhokatysue

Jun 11, 2012
Maine, US
Parrots
Maverick (GCC)
He is eating all his pellets by himself, but he gets a lot of out of cage time. I used to work for the pet store (at a different location) and whenever we had exotic birds we took them out A LOT. The two people I talked to there said he is such a sweetie, but he is still learning what hurts (when he bites) and what doesn't. I know that will have to be worked on, but hey that's birdie ownership :).

I am more likely to get a bird from THIS pet store than the other store we were looking at. This store has a bigger cage they keep him in and I know he gets a lot more attention, which make me feel better.

Thanks for that tip! I do that to my dog sometimes, I recorded him being a jealous whiny baby (he's a young boxer, it's funny) and played it back to him. He tried to eat the phone. When I played a couple youtube videos of the birds squawking both him and my cats jumped through the roof (to be fair it was perfectly quite and peaceful to an angry squawking Cockatoo!). I will definitely remember to keep that away from him. :D

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
So he is not a Green Cheek, but a Dusty conure?

OP
G

guesswhokatysue

Jun 11, 2012
Maine, US
Parrots
Maverick (GCC)
He is officially home. According to the pet store he is a Green Cheek Conure, and a few months old. I think that we were sold on the name the OTHER conure had (even though we didn't get him). However we are going to steal his name and call our little one Maverick. (boyfriend was so sold on that name). Below is a picture of him on the top of his new cage.
471416_4061456772512_1295843603_o.jpg

I know a lot of people ask on here how to help curb biting, and I need some suggestions. He doesn't do it ALL the time, but he does bite. What's a good way to help him learn that it's not ok? I know not to let him get my hand moved by biting, to hold my ground, so that's a start. Can some of it just be an unsure thing? I know we just got him, and he isn't biting hard enough to break the skin, but it can hurt. We know we need to work on trust, maybe after a couple of days seeing us he will not feel the need to bite so much?

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
He is a very pretty Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, just like my Maxx. Congrats, you are going to love being owned by him :)

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
He's a cutie! Congratulations on Maverick!

I do suggest you get him in to a vet ASAP for a variety of reasons, but most importantly because birds don't show symptoms of illness until they're pretty ill. There's some diseases that they can pass on to humans as well, and it's not possible to tell just by looking at the bird whether or not they have those diseases. Not to mention being around other birds is another good reason to get him in and checked.

Most Reactions