ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Okay. I got my two yellow sided green cheekedd conures Bella and Zora on the 27th of may. They're really shy of me. When I open their cage door, theey come out instantly and hang out on their little play gym. They won't let me hold them, take them out, or put tem back in their cage. They don't bite, but just run away. I can sit beside them but can't really do any holding. Zora, however, will take treats from my fingers. I give them the right care and they're healthy. I know I need patience, but how can I get them to trust me and to allow me to hold them? ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

Dlong

Jun 12, 2012
Atlanta Georgia
Parrots
Conure- Oscar Wild
Cockatiel - Cisco
Well I have a cockatiel that has the same exact reactions as you describe above. When I first got her I gained her trust and I was able to pet her and feed her, but when another bird was introduced was when she became this way. When I removed the other bird from her environment was when she started to become more attached to me. I am not recommending this I am just saying when a bird has solo time with their owner they seem to appreciate it more than when you try to engage them as a flock. My cockatiel still is very shy and I accept it at this point(2 years) and leave her be. She sometimes will fly to me when she wants a treat.

We call her Grandma Bird because she would be content just sitting at the top of her cage for 100 years. I leave her cage open almost all day until bed time and she never leaves the comfort of her top perch on top of her cage even though she has accomplished flying skills...

Last edited:

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, but I recall reading that if you have two they bond with each other and you're more of just a bystander. It will probably take more effort to have them warm up to you.

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, but I recall reading that if you have two they bond with each other and you're more of just a bystander. It will probably take more effort to have them warm up to you.
I'm sure that that's what happened. They can't leave eachother's sides. They're the best of friends. Maybe they'll turn out like Grandma Bird. :) I hope I do one day get them to trust, but I'll still love 'em to death if they don't. I won't give up though. I'll try to get more tips so I can keep at it.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
just keep doing what your doing. gave them treats, get them out every day, let them know your not going to hurt them. which im sure you wont. they will see that your trying to be friendly and come to you. just gave it some time. hope this helps any.

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Thanks MacawGuy! :) You guys have helped a lot! I'm so glad I found this nice site! :D

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
ok they will take treats from your hand hold the treat on the other side of your arm so they have to set up on your arm to get the treat let them stay there have another treat ready let them learn that your arm is a good perch for treats (it's solid and easy to hold onto) and that is where the treats are served. See if you can work from there.

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
ok they will take treats from your hand hold the treat on the other side of your arm so they have to set up on your arm to get the treat let them stay there have another treat ready let them learn that your arm is a good perch for treats (it's solid and easy to hold onto) and that is where the treats are served. See if you can work from there.
Hm. I've tried this. When they see they have to get on my hands, they give up. However, when I try this with a perch it goes fine. Is there anyway to transition to a finger?

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
As a matter of fact I have a solution. Wooden cooking spoon hold the spoon part in you hand sticking out the handle like your forefinger get them stepping up on this when they do it without question cheat the handle back into you hand until its the same length as your finger now offer the treat and roll slowly the handle until they are standing on your finger.

OP
ConureCrazy

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Well, I was reading up on clicker target training. Would that be any good? I was thinking I could get them up on mh hand with this. Has anyone used this? Was it successful? I don't kniw just thought, that the method was useful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts