Hi everyone... I have a dilemma...

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
Hi! My name is Kelli and I currently own a male budgie named Echo. He is my first and only bird and I've had him for a little over a year now. The reason I find myself here is that I recently found a local breeder who handfeeds, raises several different types of birds, budgies included. After speaking with him at great length he sensed that maybe I was looking for something other than another budgie (although he currently has 160+ handfed babies to choose from) and told me of a baby Sun Conure he thought would be a perfect match for me. I, of course, feel in love with his sweet little pic and have been very excited about this new adventure. He won't be weaned and ready to go for another couple of weeks but I'm hoping to drive down see him this weekend anyway. My problem is I've been a member of a "budgie forum" all this time and when I posted asking their opinions on this new addition all the feedback I've gotten is negative! I am well aware they are loud etc! I've done nothing but research this for weeks. So here I am, seeking people who actually "like" their parrots and wanting your opinions. Maybe my budgie community is a little biased and I understand that... But am I wrong or "breaking a non parrot only" code to want to branch out to this bird? Is it really impossible to have both a budgie and Sun Conure(not in the same cage of course and only supervised if they decide they like each other)? :p Please help me out here... I have to admit I'm a discouraged now and have started to second guess myself. But on another note, I've enjoyed reading pages and pages of the posts on here and look forward to joining this community of people "owned by parrots"! Whew! I feel a little better already, having gotten that off my chest! Thank you! :D

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I think several of our members have conures and budgies together. I've heard of a few sharing a cage so even that is possible (but not necessarily likely or a good idea in most cases).

So welcome to the forums - have a look around and feel free to ask any questions.

OP
C

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
I think several of our members have conures and budgies together. I've heard of a few sharing a cage so even that is possible (but not necessarily likely or a good idea in most cases).

So welcome to the forums - have a look around and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks! I'm hoping to find some encouragement that it will work out! :)

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
Hi first off NOWAY you're a KellI too! LOL how cool is that?

ok well I have some experience with my cousins budgies started out with a cockatiel and added a jenday conure to the mix when i wanted a bigger bird. First off to say if I had known just how loud and persistent he would be before I got him... I probably never would have gotten him. It's not soo much that he's loud but that it's constantly! I can't do anything in my room sometimes. This doesn't mean I love him any less he really is a sweetheart, but sometimes I have been in tears of frustration just wishing for a minute of semi quietness. I'm not trying to discourage you. Just know what you are getting into. Some people have no issues. I love him to death and he will always be an important member of my family, just be sure you know what u are getting into. and good luck :)

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
BIRD CRAZY!!!!

Are you back, you here to stay??? Hang out, check your Private Messages talk to us!! We've missed you (at least I have, no one else here knows who you are, except for maybe Auggie's Dad)!!

*For the record, this girl is the ONLY YANKEE'S FAN I'll EVER, EVER TALK TO ... basically cause she knows her stuff!!*

OP
C

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
Yes birdcrazy, I'm a Kelli too... :D

So is it that a Sun Conure in particular is louder than most other parrots?, which I've read... My budgie isn't very loud now and when he is it isn't enough to bother us. I'm a homemaker and am home everyday and was hoping to build a great bond with this young Conure. Is it not possible that with all the attention and company that the noise level won't be at least tolerable? I don't mind the natural loudness but I wonder with alot of attention and care won't that help prevent "excessive" loudness?

I will say that having bought my budgie from a petstore and him not being a handfed baby may have limited us in the hands on bonding dept. I would truly love to have a bird that I can bond with and have it enjoy spending time with me. So am I looking at the totally wrong type of parrot?

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I think you are looking at the right type of parrot. And I also would say you are right, with good socialization and attention the 'loudness' can be kept under control. But at the same time I did get a good laugh at reading that last post - if you would even think of comparing the sounds a budgie makes with what of a sun conure, you're in for a BIG surprise.

OP
C

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
I think you are looking at the right type of parrot. And I also would say you are right, with good socialization and attention the 'loudness' can be kept under control. But at the same time I did get a good laugh at reading that last post - if you would even think of comparing the sounds a budgie makes with what of a sun conure, you're in for a BIG surprise.

No I wasn't comparing the two at all lol :09:... I actually have a family member with a pair of sun conures (although they are neglected and bored stiff with no attention) and they are huge screamers... So I know they are/can be loud. I simply meant the natural sounds/loudness isn't an issue as I look at it as part of the package. I just hope with plenty of attention/training etc. that I won't end up with and excessively loud bird... Guess I won't really know until I go for it and see... :D

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
yeah you won't really know until you go for it.... it sounds like you've thought this through pretty well though. Just know what you could be getting yourself into, and if watching the hilarious antics of a sun and building a relationship with him still seems worth it then go for it. One thing here.... would it be possible for you to maybe offer to "baby sit" the relatives suns to get a feel for what you might be getting into...

OP
C

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
yeah you won't really know until you go for it.... it sounds like you've thought this through pretty well though. Just know what you could be getting yourself into, and if watching the hilarious antics of a sun and building a relationship with him still seems worth it then go for it. One thing here.... would it be possible for you to maybe offer to "baby sit" the relatives suns to get a feel for what you might be getting into...

That could be a good idea, I've spent a lot of time with their birds when I visit. The pair of Suns are pretty bonded to one another and only one person in the household is allowed to hold just one of them as the other won't allow it. The are VERY vocal as they chat with each other all day. The downside is even they have nothing very positive to say about their birds and I don't know how I'd be able to do more with them other than to move them here... And they woudn't go for that. I will say that all their birds stayed in a room with the door closed so there's no interaction other than occasional feeding, not much cleaning etc. It's not a great life for them and I can't help but think they'd be much happier where they get more love and attention.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
yeah it's sad I had a cousin with a parakeet and the poor thing lived in an EXTREEMLY tiny cage that was filthy, they did give it alot of out of cage time but still I felt soooo bad for it. Besides casually cleaning the cage and sneaking a toy here or there when I was over there really wasn't much I could do either :(. maybe when they see how happy your sun is being taken care of and interacted with it will inspire them to take there parrot care up a notch.

OP
C

Crazy Bird

Feb 22, 2010
yeah it's sad I had a cousin with a parakeet and the poor thing lived in an EXTREEMLY tiny cage that was filthy, they did give it alot of out of cage time but still I felt soooo bad for it. Besides casually cleaning the cage and sneaking a toy here or there when I was over there really wasn't much I could do either :(. maybe when they see how happy your sun is being taken care of and interacted with it will inspire them to take there parrot care up a notch.

I really hope so! They also have an Amazon and Tiels etc. I noticed after all the great things we've said about our budgie and how much apart of the family he is that they've taken more of an interest in their Amazon (could be because of all their birds that's the one I said I'd adopt from them in a heartbeat, she's a sweetheart despite the conditions) and they've been the most adamant about how awful their conures are so maybe seeing what's possible with time and tlc they'll invest more into their own birds. ;)

Most Reactions