Housing conure in tank

Russellm0704

Sep 5, 2011
Hey I'm planning on getting a green cheek conure soon, I was wondering if he could be housed in a glass tank with a screen lid? The tank is 4 feet long, 20 inches high, and a foot wide, with the proper accesories in the tank would this work?

Last edited:

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Personally, I would never house a bird in a tank, unless it's a baby being handfed. Conures love to be able to climb around to their various perches, and in a tank, they wouldn't be able to do that.

OP
R

Russellm0704

Sep 5, 2011
I would be able to set up a lot of perches for climbing, and it is 4 feet long and 20 in high, would this not be enough Space or is it just the hight issue?

OP
R

Russellm0704

Sep 5, 2011
I would be able to set up a lot of perches for climbing, and it is 4 feet long and 20 in high, would this not be enough Space or is it just the hight issue?

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I don't think that would give the bird enough climbing room. Plus using a cage gives a little more fresh air, and they can climb all over it and get exercise.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
Parrots are climbing creatures & he can not climb glass. I believe that it would stunt him in a way because he could not get around as he normally would.
Why would you even consider an aquarium for fish for a bird?

mcw009

Apr 21, 2011
VA
Parrots
Icarus the Moustached Parakeet, Smudge, Pudge (RIP), and Floki the Budgies
12" wide sounds too narrow to me anyway, be it tank or cage. I agree with the above posters; adult birds don't belong in tanks.

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I usually don't post truly negative things on forums, however I think I'm about to make an exception. Why are you considering this? If it is a matter of expense then you shouldn't get the bird. If it is a matter of containing the mess then you shouldn't get the bird. I cannot think of another reason for you wanting to do this. Please rethink this, I don't care how many perches etc. you put in there for climbing, there is no air circulating, no way for him/her to climb around the perimeter of the cage. Again, I have to ask what is your motivation for wanting to do this?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I don't know that I would do it but I knew someone that kept a tiel in a really big tank and the woman we got our bird from had a caique in a 75gallon tank with a wire(not screen) top. The cage was full of perches and toys and this really cool confetti looking bedding. She said that's what the bird came in and she really seemed to like it. There was plenty for her to climb on and she would even climb to the top and hang upside down from the wire top.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
WHOA?!

Like Brianlinkles, I try to stay positive ... but in this case I'm positive this is a bad idea.

All other issues aside, that is far to small for a conure.

OP
R

Russellm0704

Sep 5, 2011
Y'all are very rude on this forum, I obviously do not have a conure yet and I was just asking your opinion on the tank, money is not an issue for me so I will obviously buy a cage now that I know the tank can't be done. I thought it was responsible of me to ask this question to experience conure keepers before I even considered doing it. I would never bring home an animal without knowing everything about it and doing 3-4 months of research. I asked a question that I did not know the answer to(and I have seen birds in tanks before which probably meant they were not well taken care of). It would be one thing for you guys to be rude if I brought a bird home and put it In a tank and then ask, but for me just asking a question? I know I will probably get slammed by some of you for writing this long reply but wow, I don't feel comfortable to even ask another question here. I was just trying to see if it was possible.

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
I'm sorry if some people were rude to you, I hope I was not one of them. I think if you have an appropriately sized aquarium it is okay, plenty of people keep birds in acrylic cages and I don't really see it as any different. I would personally choose a bird cage of an aquarium but I have known 2 birds that are very well taken care of and live in an aquarium.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
No one was rude. You asked a question, it was answered.

OP
R

Russellm0704

Sep 5, 2011
Icywolf I appreciate your comment, yes some people were very sarcastic and rude, I asked a question and it could have been answered without attacking, I came here to ask the question and if the answer was no I planned on going to but a cage, but it shouldn't be answered sarcastically or rudely, read some of the previous comments more closely and you will see what I mean, on all the reptile forums I have never had this problem, but I'm sure this is only a small handful of people who act this way

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Icywolf I appreciate your comment, yes some people were very sarcastic and rude, I asked a question and it could have been answered without attacking, I came here to ask the question and if the answer was no I planned on going to but a cage, but it shouldn't be answered sarcastically or rudely, read some of the previous comments more closely and you will see what I mean, on all the reptile forums I have never had this problem, but I'm sure this is only a small handful of people who act this way

That's surprising, I have been a member of many reptile forums and quit using them because of how nasty some of the people have been. I used to love kingsnakes' forums but I stopped using them because of how arrogant a lot of the members became.

OP
R

Russellm0704

Sep 5, 2011
Icywolf you are right, I joined that forum years ago and it only took a few days to leave, I'm talking about specific forums like beardeddragon.org or geckoforums.net, but besides that I was honestly just asking a question and that's all I was doing. I didn't harm any animals in the process

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I usually don't post truly negative things on forums, however I think I'm about to make an exception. Why are you considering this? If it is a matter of expense then you shouldn't get the bird. If it is a matter of containing the mess then you shouldn't get the bird. I cannot think of another reason for you wanting to do this. Please rethink this, I don't care how many perches etc. you put in there for climbing, there is no air circulating, no way for him/her to climb around the perimeter of the cage. Again, I have to ask what is your motivation for wanting to do this?

I went back and read what I wrote. I am sorry if it sounded rude however I don't really think it did. I think maybe you are interpreting alot of people that are passionate about birds opinions as rude. I think whenever you post on a forum then you must be prepared to listen to the good as well as the bad. Sometimes we tend to get enthusiastic and it may come accross as abrasive. I have posted on this site and have had lots of help. I did have one of my posts answered with alot of should we say enthusiastic bird owners that jumped on me. I did reply that I felt "wronged" however I also replied that I understood their "zeal". I really hope that you stay on this forum and that you don't take it personally.

Most Reactions