How do you decide which species? IRN, Eclectus, African Grey

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
SilverSage knows what she's talking about :) I'm fortunate that I have a very forgiving IRN, but then again I spoil the snot out of him. I was singing (badly mind you, thankfully birds don't care! ;) ), and he fell asleep on my hand just before I was about to put him to bed.

I managed to capture a video awhile ago of him getting his night time cuddles and talking away, enjoy! Forgive my poorly pedicured feet and man hands, hahaha.

[ame="http://youtu.be/i9Fdm2Pm9V8"]Late night Indian Ringneck cuddles - YouTube[/ame]

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Omg that voice is adorable!!!!

CrazyAnimalLady

Aug 10, 2015
Well... I am a grey person. One of my boys is very cuddly and I can do just about anything to him. My other grey took a long time to get to where he is and I can handle him with ease. But. Most other people can't. He will go to others if I make him. But quickly wants to return to me.

Honestly. My boys can be bratty. I have been bitten. I have been tested. I have been hurt. Emotionally and physically. Sometimes both.

But. My boys are worth it. I love them so much and my life would not be the same without them. Greys.... They take a special kind of person. You have to be committed to them. Forever. No matter what. They tend to try you. Push you and test you but... Once you break through that barrier. They will love you so strong and true.

The key to a bird that is not nervous about everything is exposure constantly to all kinds of things that may set them off. I take my boys out. I push them to try new things and I support them through it. I encourage them. They learn things are not always the same and sometimes they don't go as planned but after a long hard day there are always cuddles and love and support from mom. And. They have each other.

My greys are very stable. They are not nervous wrecks. They are very emotionally healthy. And if you do decide on a grey you are welcome to message me any time you have questions or need support.

I have worked with birds my whole life. I have fostered ring necks,eclectus, greys, macaws, amazons etc.

There is a huge reason I chose to share my life with greys. They are complex and challenging. And you must earn every bit of their trust. But. I find when you truly earn something it is worth more then when it is just given freely.

Greys are not for people who give up easily. Or who are afraid. Or people who are nervous themselves. If you are nervous they pick up on that and they will become nervous too. Thinking there is something to fear if you are afraid. You must always keep yourself together around a grey. Even when your terrified.

My boys. I can't even fathom life without them. We are a team. I love them. And they love me.

View attachment 15190

View attachment 15191

View attachment 15192View attachment 15193

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I got Buddy my GCA when his owner passed away and her son (my cousin) reached out to me asking me to take him. At the time I had been looking at cockatoos for several months thinking I wanted a cockatoo. I went to pick up Buddy at the pound (the police were called due to a death in the home) amid Buddy chose me, making goo goo eyes at me and asking for a head scratch which I caved in on.

Venus (my eclectus) I found at a pet store I was visiting. She came right too me. There was a green wing macaw that kept trying to get close to me too. I took Venus home that day and now call her velcroe Venus because she is with me constantly. Bottom line she picked me again.

Both Buddy and Venus are my fids. While Buddy's situation was complicated, he picked me right away and it's been love ever since. Same with Venus, but both wanted to interact with me immediately. So I can offer advice that if they show interest where they want to be close but not bite, that's a great sign.

Most Reactions

Latest posts