Safety of wood floor adhesive

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Anyone ever glue and nail a wood floor and how did you handle it with your bird(s)?

I have one more long weekend scheduled which I am so looking forward to while sitting at my desk with a knot in my back. However my friend is scheduling to have a wood floor glued down a day and a half before I get there. I don't feel safe with bringing myself, my pets or Gilbert but mainly Gilbert for obvious reasons.

Do you think it would be safe to dry for a day and air out only a day before we go?
This is the product: http://www.mapei.com/public/US/products/ULTRABOND_ECO_980_SDS_EN.pdf

I want to go, and even thought 'maybe if I get there and leave the house open to air out and bring Gil to the beach with me??' but obviously as much as I am DYING for a vacation that has long been scheduled, his safety needs to be my top priority.

What do you think?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
If you read the safety sheet, is says PEOPLE need to use respiratory protection when working with this product.

If the fumes are potentially toxic to US. There's NO WAY I'd take a chance with fumes with a bird. When in doubt, don't on this one!

Unless he can be outside and away from the fumes.

Otherwise, conures are one of the first birds to keel over and drop dead from toxic fumes. Only slightly less vulnerable than canaries...

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Yeah, I did see that and it concerned me. It supposedly is quick drying so I am wondering if a couple days later it would be safe. As it stands, I am not planning to go when I had scheduled but at minimum to delay my trip.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, I did see that and it concerned me. It supposedly is quick drying so I am wondering if a couple days later it would be safe. As it stands, I am not planning to go when I had scheduled but at minimum to delay my trip.

In all likelihood it probably would, if the place were aired out good...

But in the event I was wrong on that? Potentially fatal!

So, I'd wait a few more days.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Ooh my friend is thinking of waiting to do the work. So it all may work out fine! Thanks for your input.

Most Reactions

Latest posts