How playful is your pi?

Ginnybird

Dec 18, 2015
New Jersey near Philadelphia
Parrots
Ginny Indigo, blue-fronted Amazon
I've mostly narrowed my theoretical choice of a second bird down to a few species of pionus, a Jardine's or a red-bellied. (I say theoretical because I know what it's like to click with a bird that isn't a species you were thinking about at first. That's how I got Ginny! And because some species seem harder to find.)

My question is about playfulness. I read about species a lot. Sometimes I read that pi's are less active or more perch potato-esque.

The thing is, I get great pleasure from, among other things, just watching Ginny swing sideways or upside-down and chew on toys. It's amazing how relaxing I find it to watch a parrot swing around and destroy things. :rolleyes: This was never a benefit I anticipated, but it's awesome.

So I'm wondering from pi guardians, past and present: how active is your lil guy or gal like this? Does your pi enjoy climbing and swinging in addition to chewing?

I imagine older birds of any species slow down, but wondering about an overall picture.

Thank you so much. I wish I could meet all your beautiful pi's.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Talli, my BHP, plays all the time! He will hang off his toys, talk to them, throw them...he is a funny guy. He has a playstand next to his cage, and crawls all over it. My WCP doesn't play nearly as much, but she isn't a perch potato either. She likes to play with toys on the floor rather than her cage, and is not nearly as boisterous as Talli.
This is just my experience, I'm sure other Pi parronts will chime in with theirs as well:)

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Jimmy white cap plays all the time. She also likes to hang upside down and fly. She will take a few breaks to daydream and look out the window, but she is much more active and playful than my green cheek conure. She loves hanging toys to beat up the most.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Raven loves toys. I can see why they say Pi's are perch potatoes, but that doesn't mean they don't do anything. Raven isn't fast and hyper, and while he enjoys periods of just sitting, he absolutely loves toys. Any kind, he's not particular. Shreddable, plastic, wood, leather, etc. and he's spoiled and has many toys of all kinds. When sitting outside his cage, he can access a giant foot toy box on top of his playtop style cage. Sometimes you'll see him put one back and take another, but usually they get dropped on the floor ;).

I had a female Pi before I had Raven, and she was very different in personality and temperament from Raven, but she also loved playing with toys. Seems Pi's especially love foot toys if they have them.

I think a Pionus would be a nice addition. Since you have Ginny, and Pionus are close relatives of zons, and share some similar traits.

Last edited:
OP
Ginnybird

Ginnybird

Dec 18, 2015
Parrots
This is wonderful to see.:D

Yes, I love the pi similarities with Amazons. And their differences, too... those great big eyes, and lil raspy voices, for those who do talk... I think I'm just a sucker for the whole family, both cousins.

I've met four pi's, and while their shyness level varied, they were all charming and beautiful!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
This is wonderful to see.:D

Yes, I love the pi similarities with Amazons. And their differences, too... those great big eyes, and lil raspy voices, for those who do talk... I think I'm just a sucker for the whole family, both cousins.

I've met four pi's, and while their shyness level varied, they were all charming and beautiful!

Well then, I think you're mind is set, and you're ready to go for it :D! What species of Pi's have you happened to meet?

OP
Ginnybird

Ginnybird

Dec 18, 2015
Parrots
I held a white-capped hen at an expo. Was quite taken with her -- so sweet, and also beautiful. She was also so much more calm than I'm used to. Serene, poised. A well-socialized girl.

I watched a BHP and BWP at another expo. Considering all the activity they were also relaxed, preening.

I spent some time with a 16-year-old BHP at a rescue. He had come in a cage with no toys and had been handled with an oven mitt. I liked him and got some sense of curiosity from him, though he was hand-shy, and I loved his chatty little voice. It didn't quite feel right, though. I got the feeling that he could like me, but would love some other adopter out there more. He was a good little guy, but didn't feel like my good little guy.

I'd like very much to meet a maxi.

Your BWP is quite handsome!

Most Reactions

Latest posts