Hunter Trouble

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
There is a person in my orchestra i would really like to get to know outside of practice, but i just learned they are a hunter, and i have always been very adiment about my distaste for hunting. Is there a way i could tell them hunting is wrong without offending, or am i just overreating, because besides being a hunter, this person is the whole package.:white1:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I would say it would be best not to say anything! It could cause alot of bad feeling between you.

I do not agree with hunting at all!! Maybe it would be best if you dont get to know this person out of practice, then you will not need to put yourself in that position of having to say something!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
If it comes up in a conversation bring it up. I am against hunting but for it. I think hunting for fun is terrible and just psychotic. Who in their right mind says they like to kill animals for the sport of it? If its out of need for food it's fine- I'm no vegetarian, but if you hunt for food make sure it's a necessary because there are plenty of meat at the store. No need to kill more animals, unless you live in the Middle of no where or have no money.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
I am totally against hunting and always have been. However, my sister is a Falconer and she hunts with and without her bird. My brother works for the DNR and hunts constantly it seems. I have learned to respect their opinions and they respect mine. Personally, I don't think you can make a judgement about someone based upon this. I also think that it is a little unrealistic to pass judgment if you are eating meat--someone is killing an animal somewhere. If they are hunting respectfully, within the laws and eating the things they kill, then I personally think it is ok for others to do. Up to you...but it does seem to be a little harsh if you don't know the entire story. Just my opinion, mind you, but I have been dealing with this my entire life!!!

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Do you want to get to know this person on just a friendship level or more? If Just friendship then y'all could probably just avoid the subject. But if you want more it might not be possible. Think of how passionate you are against hunting, most hunters are that passionate FOR hunting. This is coming from a hunter. I will not get into the whole why its wrong or right debate on here but Im just giving my opinion. Good luck! I hope you can work it all out!

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
I am totally against hunting and always have been. However, my sister is a Falconer and she hunts with and without her bird. My brother works for the DNR and hunts constantly it seems. I have learned to respect their opinions and they respect mine. Personally, I don't think you can make a judgement about someone based upon this. I also think that it is a little unrealistic to pass judgment if you are eating meat--someone is killing an animal somewhere. If they are hunting respectfully, within the laws and eating the things they kill, then I personally think it is ok for others to do. Up to you...but it does seem to be a little harsh if you don't know the entire story. Just my opinion, mind you, but I have been dealing with this my entire life!!!

Eating meat has nothing to do with being for or against hunting. Hunting for fun is wrong in my mind. I dont think there is a need for hunting as companies raise and kill animals specifically for food, which is why I can eat meat and be againsthunting. Hunting is creating extra killing and food when there is plenty readily available.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Lets try to keep this thread civil and just try to answer what the OP was asking.

Thanks Guys :)

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
I say if you like everything else about this person get to know them better! I'm all about being non-judgemental and respecting others personal choices... Perhaps if you guys get to know each other and develop a good friendship/relationship you can keep the hunting in the agree-to-disagree/do-not-discuss category?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I wouldn't say anything and to tell them that hunting is wrong would most likely offend them no matter how you attempt to do so. Saying that hunting is wrong is like the Vegan who thinks anyone who doesn't subsribe to their Vegan-beliefs is evil and that they are morally superior simply because they are Vegan. That's simply not true.

Believe it or not, hunting is actually necessary still in many parts of the US. Did you know that every few years, even thought it's Federal Property, they issue Deer Hunting Permits to a select number of hunters at Valley Forge National Park? Why? Because the park is smack up against several major through-ways and has dense populations all around it. The deer that live there know that they are protected and become brazen, then a hazard and then a problem. So every 3-6 years or so, they issue permits to hunt on the land as a means to thin out the herds. The meat is then donated to places like Medicaid-Funded Nursing Homes and Prisons. The Hunters don't even get the meat themselves.

I think hunting for meat is fine. I think hunting for sport, as long as you aren't just leaving carcasses to rot, is fine. When you hunt for the sport, you then utitlize the meat and other portions of the body, such as the skins and furs. You become self-sustaining. I have many family members who enjoy hunting (it's not necessarily the kill that they enjoy, it's the challenge of being able to be severely patient, cunning and out-witting an animal in its own element, etc) and supplement the meat they buy at the store with the meat that they hunted.

I also believe that hunting is much more humane than the way we slaughter animals for meat that's sold in stores. Have you actually looked into how that is done Mara? One to two bullets is definitely more humane that the slitting of the throat and leaving the animal to bleed out.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Theybhaveba lot of laws being created for slaughtering just because some companies are rruthless doesn't mean they all are. Either way I'm not defending the companies. I'm just saying if it's already been done and there's plenty why bother to add to it if it isn't necessary?

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots

American Bulldog Mix,
Hunting due to the deer thing you said is needed, but hunting for meat or fun ulness of course you live no where near the store or dont have the funds to buy what's readily available isn't needed. Of course people who don't have a local store or raise animals for slaughtering or are boneless have to do what they need to get proper nutrients and if an an over population of deer or other animal is causing hazards or danger or messing up the food chain then yes hunting is also necessary. I personally don't have the heart to kill an animal, but yes in some cases I can respect hunting is needed but ifyou are hunting for meat and there's no shortages your local grocery store than why hunt? I don't understand the need for it when its not needed. Trust me I have this conversation with my dad every October he goes hunting.

momto3

Mar 19, 2012
Hey, Birdsquak--didn't mean to open up a can of worms here! Just saying, keep an open mind because you might end up crossing someone off your list unintentionally...

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years, for the simple reason that the system that produces our meat is stunningly cruel to animals. I was married to a hunter for 10 years and while I didn't want to hear about his hunting trips, I would FAR rather have someone hunt for meat to eat than to eat what is in grocery stores, for the protection of the animals.

As for this guy, if you can "agree to disagree" with him, and respect his opinions as you wish for him to respect yours, then why not get to know him and see how it goes? Hunting is not "wrong". That is your opinion of hunting. Talking to him can't hurt and certainly implies no long term commitment.

Jenlynn

Nov 19, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Sun Conure, and Blue Indian Ringneck
Hunting is necessary to control disease and population in wild animals. Hundreds of years ago there were many more natural predators in many parts of the US. Without them, the deer population is unchecked and they quickly over populate causing car accidents, food shortages and starvation among the species, inbreeding, and disease.

You may be surprised to know, hunters are typically one of the biggest proponents of conservation. They often work with local game authorities for ways to plant feed plots and to protect the wild species so they are around for years to come.

Companies that raise meat house the animals in such horrible and inhumane conditions. These animals only know crampt quarters and are often pumped up with antibiotics and hormones to decrease the amount of time until they are able to be harvested and to keep them healthy in the horrid conditions. (That's partly one of the reasons I got a few laying hens for eggs....chicken conditions are awful and horribly sad)

A deer who is hunted is often killed instantly or within a few minutes of being hit. Animals who are raised specifically for our consumption often watch dozens of animals die in front of them and then die a slow death themselves.

My family breeds whitetail deer for stockers in hunting preserves. My dad loves the deer like they are pets. The doe fawns are bottled fed and follow us around like dogs and the baby bucks are gorgeous with their mothers in the field. We watch every inch of their antler growth in the spring and summer and truly fall in love with each animal. We know they will eventually be harvested but it puts all meat into perspective for us. Factory farmed meat still comes from animals with a soul as well. My Dad also plants food plots in our fields for the wild deer and every night has his binoculars out watching the wildlife. It's his hobby and passion in life.

My father doesn't love deer meat and neither do I. So you could say he hunts for the sport of it or for fun. He will often pay to butcher the animal and give it away to needy families or people who do want it. To him, getting up before dawn, sitting in a tree freezing for hours, and outsmarting one of the most intelligent and savy animals in the world is exciting. I think its a guy thing...I don't get it. Now if they release cows into the woods...I might consider hunting for filet mignon but I'll let the deer to the pros haha.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Jenlynn, thank you for your insightful post. I really liked the points you brought up, however, i do have one thing to tweak: depending on the health and well-being of the group, a deer can chose to have one, two, or re-absorb thier baby, if disaster strikes As i said, i like this person, but i was a little uncomfortable about the hunting part, untill i learned they eat/ use most if not all the parts of the animal, and unless they hunt things like wolves, bears or other game just for fun or for the trophies, or have taxidermy all around the house, i really dont want to try and change somebody or press MY beliefs upon them. Besides, if hunters like thier sport, that means more people who want to keep wild land untouched and have love and respect for wildlife.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If it's about hunting, well I guess that's a personal choice. My grand father was a hunter, and he often hunted deer. It was part for necessity, part for the thrill of the hunt. It didn't matter if he was hunting with a rifle or with binoculars, he still loved deer! Thanks to him and some of his other hunter buddies, I have tried deer, antelope, moose and I'm not sure what else... lol

I'm not a very big fan of venison, and I could never intentionally kill an animal, not even for food (but heck, if I was starving and had no access to food, who knows, that might change!). I'm of the belief that all of us should be hunters, or at least our men should be! And we should grow our own fruits, vegetables and other fresh produce. It is extremely unnatural for us to buy food from a market. Mind you, I am my own worst hypocrite! I do not have a garden, and my thumb is definitely not green! I eat mostly beef, which comes from the store.

We are constantly losing a lot of wild life due to over-hunting. (not just land animals but fish, too) The valley I grew up in, it was common to see deer, bald eagles, red tailed hawks and the occasional antelope. Now? Well, can't say for sure, but I know that in my highschool years, antelope disappeared, deer and the large birds of prey extremely rare. Further south, I know they are still extremely abundant (all in California), but no longer in that valley I called home.

Thinking about overpopulation of prey animals, I do recall reading an interesting article that suggested bringing back big animals (including predators) into the USA, although I'm not sure where it's at now... it did mention how large prey animals could help control the over-population of some animals in certain areas, and of course, the animals would be "controlled" in a preserve of sorts, so that the animals should not pose any threat to humans.

If it's about love, well, can you truly love someone if you don't love them for the good and the bad? It doesn't mean you have to agree to or even like everything about them, but accepting them as a whole. I don't drink, smoke or do illegal drugs, so I could not fully love someone who smokes or does illegal drugs. Drinking, I give "lee-way", because I don't mind if people drink to just enjoy a drink, however I would not be able to stand someone who enjoys drinking just to get drunk. The guy I'm currently seeing plays MTG. I don't care for the game, nor do I have any interest in learning how to play it, but it doesn't negatively impact my life. He also has no problems with my game that I play nor the amount of pets that I have! He doesn't truly know my birds, nor how annoying they can get, but he accepts them as 'part of the package'.

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
I hate hunting too, I guess you cant stop them from doing it. This boy I know (well, I dont REALLY know him) hunts, and I guess since I love animals so much I cant really bring myself to be friends with somebody that kills them.

(I hate hunting for sport, I mean, If your doing it to eat I understand even though I could never do it)

sillysally

Nov 13, 2010
Indiana
Parrots
Pickles-white winged parakeet; Yoda-Quaker parrot; Solo- Senegal parrot; Kiwi-white winged parakeet-Forever in our hearts, RIP
I would just avoid the subject. Its highly unlikely that they are going to stop hunting just because you tell them it's wrong.

While I do not agree with hunting for sport only, I'm all for hunting for food or population control if done respectfully and humanely. Meat from wild game is generally healthier and modern industrial farming and slaughter practices are far more stressful than an animal living out its life in the wild before being killed by a hunter. In addition, in situations where species are invasive or out of control hunting is necessary.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Maybe the people who love the outdoors and wildlife are the people who enjoy it the most. Do you think hunters don't love and respect what they have? Sure a few bad apples in every bunch but the people you call hunters are the biggest protectors of the out doors and wildlife. organisations like Ducks Unlimited have bought and protected many acres of land to help ducks. Hunting is a management tool. I think everyone should try a little harder to understand the issues and not get too reactive.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
As my grandma always said- "if you don't have something once to say, don't say anything at all". Why even bring the subject up at this point? You say you want to get to know this person better, and nothing will send them running faster than you harping on about something they do that you don't agree with. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, hunters included. And for that matter, how 'special' is this person that you want to get to know them better when you KNOW they are avid about something you are fundamentally against? Just saying, when theres someone you disagree with on a serious matter, they should be really special.

BTW, I do have personal experience in this matter. I've been a vegetarian for 14 years, my husband had never even met a vegetarian before me. Obviously, I am against eating meat, and feel very strongly on the subject. But I also knew from the minute I met him, my husband was a very special guy. I can overlook the meat-eating aspect (he's a grown man, he can choose what he feels comfortable eating) so long as he respects the fact I personally don't feel comfortable cooking/touching it. He's always been respectful of me, cooking it himself when he wants it and not trying to get me to eat it, and I've been respectful of him by not trying to force a vegetarian lifestyle down his throat. It's never caused any issues in our marriage because we do see eye to eye on pretty much everything else. Then again, I probably never would have gone out with him in the first place if I didn't feel a instant connection. I turned lots of guys down (pretty much didn't date) because I simply didn't want to deal with a meat-eater, because most would not be so respectful of my personal beliefs.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts