I am new to the forum and the bird world in general

TookieTookieBird

Dec 3, 2009
Chicagoland Area
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo, 3 Parakeets
Hello Everyone,
I'm a member to lots of animal forums and am excited to find one for parrots. Through the years we have owned lots of animals, from dogs to hedgehogs, Snakes to honey possums, fish to snapping turtles, my sister and I even nursed 2 baby raccoons back to health with mini baby bottles back when we were in school getting up an hour earlier to feed the little guys. My uncle bred canaries when I was just a little baby, those were all of the birds I had been around. All those animals and we have never owned a bird. Until....this past may. A woman was getting rid of a bird down the block from my grandmother, free with the cage and all. It is an Umbrella Cockatoo. I guess you could say we started out BIG and backwards I might add. He is quite the bird he is. Everyone we meet that has experience with birds asks, "Why did you start off with an Umbrella, bad idea!!!". OH well, we still love him, he really isn't that bad!!!!!!!:white1:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi TTK
I always so things happen for a reason...You were meant to get the Umbrella Cockatoo.
When I first got an African Grey I did not know the first things about birds. He was given to us.
Bought a parrot book and tried my best. At least today there is the internet, forums, websites etc where help is a finger tip away.
You have joined a great forum, friendly people, with loads and loads of advice.
Read thru threads etc, ask for help and you will be assisted.
Good luck
Take care

Greydad01

Nov 8, 2009
Tempe, Az
Parrots
Zoey(7yr.old African Grey congo)
I believe the addage of 'you don't choose your pets, they choose you' holds true for you Tookie, as with many of us!!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there
How is it going with the Umbrella Cockatoo?
Do you have any idea how old he is?
Does he have a name yet?
Keeps us updated okay
Take care
:white1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts