Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
I've just come back from spending the weekend at my boyfriend (Andy)'s house. I spent most of the time playing with their newest edition to the family...

Where they live there are wild rainbow lorikeets, and about 5 days ago a very young and seemingly unwell/injured lorikeet turned up in their yard. It was unable to fly (wasn't even trying). They put it in the spare cage they had, and at first it was very scared, but soon warmed up to them and accepted their touch and would happily step up. A visit to the vet confirmed that it was a wild bird, not a lost pet, and apart from having mites it appeared in good health. The vet believes that it never fledged properly as it doesn't seem to know what its wings are for and the muscles are very weak. It probably would have died in the wild, so they decided to keep it and name it Sunny. We're calling it a he, but we don't know the gender.

The thing that surprised me so much is that this bird is so affectionate and accepting of everyone! It is clearly content and is keen to be let out of the cage and step up. As soon as he steps up he climbs up to your shoulder and starts preening your hair, your eyelids, eyebrows (and in my boyfriend's case, his beard!) and chirps happily when you whistle or talk to him. He often looks as though he is about to launch into flight, but he never does and never even flaps his wings. He climbs everywhere and entertains us with his less-than-graceful acrobatics. I just can't believe this was once a wild bird but the vet is sure that it is. He thought the odds of a pet bird, with the inability to fly, turning up at their house where there is a population of wild ones was very low. It just surprises me because I've met so many "hand raised birds" that bite, or are aggressive or fearful to new people, or even anyone except for their chosen person, yet this bird loves everyone and sees all people as members of his flock! He is such a sweetheart.

We bought him some toys on Saturday and he was very happy with them. He needs a bigger cage though as the one he is in is a budgie cage, but they'll get around to it. At least now he has some toys and perches to play on. Either way, he is getting lots of love and attention and is clearly a happy chappy =]

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Wow that sure surprised me as well, being a wild bird, settling down into captivity so quickly. Not biting, preening everyone and playing with toys already.
Perhaps Sunny knows just how lucky he was, being taken in, by a very loving flock. How much longer would he have lasted in the wild for.
He is just showing his appreciation with lots of love and affection. His way of saying
Good luck

OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Yeah, that's what Andy's mum thinks. She said he knows that without people he wouldn't survive so he's accepted us happily. He did bite a couple of times on the first day, but he never bit hard enough to break the skin and since then he only uses his beak for preening and eating. Hopefully he doesn't suddenly decide he doesn't need us anymore!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Yeah, that's what Andy's mum thinks. She said he knows that without people he wouldn't survive so he's accepted us happily. He did bite a couple of times on the first day, but he never bit hard enough to break the skin and since then he only uses his beak for preening and eating. Hopefully he doesn't suddenly decide he doesn't need us anymore!

He was probably using his beak to protect himself in the beginning. Sounds like he is already starting to trust you. Hopefully the biting phase is a thing of the past.
I reckon he already know "the grass is greener on the other side" already
I hope decides to stay, and brings you so much joy, and you have brought upon him.

OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
I have my first shift back tomorrow, Ant =]
Looking forward to it. I've been so bored sitting at home doing nothing! Plus I need the money lol.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
What a nice story. Are you aware of the diet of this bird? I know it is different from the standpoint of nectar. The nectar will make the poop very liquidy. I saw one in the rescue org. and was amazed at the beauty. Now you have a little rainbow angel.

OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Yeah, we've researched it, never fear =]
His poo is VERY liquidy and he can projectile it fair distances lol.

OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Thanks Ant, I shall! It'll be good to see my work friends again =]
Also I should be starting my new job in a couple of weeks or so.

Most Reactions

Latest posts