I don’t know how to tame two mated Indian ringnecks

Septic

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringnecks, galar, budgie
So I’ve just got a mating pair of two Indian ringnecks that have mated already. The thing is I want to tame them but I’m aware that taming two birds that are already bonded to eachother is quite difficult and I’m finding not much recourses to help. Is it possible to train them? I’ve had birds before but i wouldn’t say I’m good at taming I’m a beginner.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
It's absolutely possible. But my "bird guy" says it's a long process. Those birds you see on youtube playing peekaboo were either hand raised their entire lives or they put a lot of work into them. Your looking at a time scale of like 9 months he told me.

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
“Echo” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
I've heard of befriending mated pairs being done, and I absolutely believe its possible... with one adjustment of phrasing; I don't really believe in "tame" animals. I think the word carries a lot of stigma from many perspectives, and it's not always clear what's being intended; if tame is an animal who "does what we want, when we want it" -- or if tame is an animal who "willingly obliges our requests when it does not impede them to do so, and shows a proclivity and preference for sharing our company and direct interaction" ?

So, I don't suggest approaching your birds with the intent to "tame" them.
Approach them with the intent to build a growing relationship based on communication. Step one? You both have to learn each other's languages. The IRNs may or may not understand your body language and moods. They may or may not have had good or negative experiences with humans priorly.

They don't know what it means when you perform an action, until they have observed it long enough in context, to form that understanding.

Likewise, you'll begin to get a knack for learning if they are aggitated, relaxed, calm, sleepy and content, angry, scared, stressed, anxious... just by watching them. Spend a LOT of time watching them. From a distance (8-10 feet or more) may be necessary at first, you want to find a place where they are comfortable being watched by you and doing their normal behaviors, rather than focused on you. They may at times prefer you simply not stare directly at them, or make eye contact, as it can be intimidating.

It's not an Indian Ringneck species example, but i recently watched a video of a lady who befriended a mated pair of wild lorikeets. They were wild birds who landed on her balcony, and over time, they ended up being welcome to bounce around her apartment and would take seed from her hands. They later brought their offspring to introduce to her. Mated birds, who still had room for a relationship with befriending a human.

You're not trying to destroy their pair bond, but rather asking them to include you as a member of their idea of "who is in our flock." I don't have pair bonds with either of my parrots, they don't treat me as their mate, nor anyone else (though Echo did make some flirty heartwings once at a friend of mine. She was very flattered and amused.) and we have wonderful growing relationships.

I can't give you advice from personal experience on how to work with a mated pair of parrots, but there's a LOT of resources online already about people who have worked with pair bonds... between a parrot and their chosen favorite person.

That might give you a good start, into understanding how to reshape and direct their behavior and your understanding of their viewpoints' dynamic.

As for working with Indian Ringnecks specifically -- My mom and i had a traumatized, cage-terrified, IRN calm in three days and willingly going in and out of his cage on his own that same week, and taking treats from our fingers in about two weeks. The pace is going to be different for every bird. Some will be interested and curious right away; some may have to work first through their fears and uncertainties that block them from even considering interacting with you in any way but flight-or-fright responses.

The big thing is; they won't be curious if they are in fear, so you have to prove to them you're safe to be around. Once they aren't afraid of you, fleeing or biting won't be the first thought on their mind in interactions.

I really think that being genuine, honest, and open with them in both your body language and your voice and facial expression is important with IRN especially. Think of them like tiny little empaths: you can't hide your emotions from them, and they don't want you to. They just want you to be in control of them and thus, yourself. If you're "hiding something" they don't know what or why is being hidden, and Unknowns are scary, which makes you associated with "scary."

So, if you're having a bad day, not feeling good, can't focus well, it's not a good day for you to force yourself to do training or desensitization practice with your birds. They'll forgive you for it; acknowledge them, tell them about it even if they won't understand the words themselves, and do their normal care.

At that point in such a situation, they may also choose to show interest in interacting with you even despite your mood. That's the only time in which I'd say, it can turn out okay to interact with your bird even if you don't feel great mentally, because you're both aware of it and the IRN had the opportunity to decide they're okay with it and aren't stressed out about it. The key is not to force any interaction on them; invite, don't coerce. Bring them treats, set them down and then take a step back to give them space to have it. Work up to offering it form your fingers.

Some folks have had good luck with offering treats in a cup, if they struggle to get them over their fear of our spooky fingers.

If they back away from you, take a delliberate step back from them to show you are paying attention to their body language. I did that and still have need to do that now and then, with Echo, and it served a long way towards earning his trust. Knowing I was willing to leave and give him space, made him more willing to welcome me into his space.

You basically need two things;
-Their interest
-Their trust

And you need to give them two things;
-Your trust
-Your honesty

TL;DR: Once they no longer fear you, then they may begin to become interested in you. Not just as a scary human predator who might possibly decide to grab them with our alien-looking, wiggly five-toed deformed paws, but as someone they'll invite social cues with and actively want to engage and interact with you.

Well... I got a little off topic there and rambled away again, but I hope any of it proves useful. You should check out some of Cottonoids threads -- they've got some fantastic writings of their experience working with an IRN.

Most Reactions

Latest posts