I don't understand my new pineapple conure...

Sans

Apr 2, 2014
Parrots
Tater - grey cockatiel
Tot- pineapple conure
Hi all,

My partner and I recently got a pineapple conure two weeks ago, and I'm a bit confused. I've never owned a conure before and am used to tiel behaviours. Tot will go all skinny, crouch down with his wings slightly out and almost tremble while staring at you intently.... I think he's excited but I'm not sure. I've had him do this before, taken him out, played with him then put him back on his cage. He then proceeded to run back in his cage and run around it, every so often doing the same thing.

I've also seen him do this with our tiel (our tiel does not typically 'play' and usually blatantly tells him to go away)

Any clues?

Thanks!
Sabrina:)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I've noticed all my birds do that when they're excited/curious/interested in something. My conures do that if they're wanting to fly somewhere, and they're trying to judge the distance. My eclectus, I know for a fact would not jump and try to fly anywhere, but he still does that sometimes when he's in/on his cage.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Its normal. My GC does it too. She is clipped so she does it all the time when she wants to fly somewhere but she can't.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like a begging behavior if they crouch low and quiver their wings. My mitred conure does this when he's inside his cage and sometimes while he's out of it, too, but he can fly so can easily reach me if he so wishes to. My red throated conure really doesn't do this behavior though, as she'll just fly!

In cockatiels, the tiels usually pace side to side when they want to go somewhere.

Hotrod

Mar 14, 2014
Florida
Parrots
1 year old sun conure: Hotrod
Hotrod, my sun conure, does this sometimes. When he is in his cage and wants out (sometimes he does it when he is excited or wanting to try to fly, though) he will climb to the top, hang by one foot, skinny up, and shake himself and his wings.

truthfulreaction

Jun 5, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
Haru - Green Cheek Conure
He's begging you to pick him up, when he runs around the cage every so often and goes back to doing that he's just being impatient. :)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
He's begging you to pick him up, when he runs around the cage every so often and goes back to doing that he's just being impatient. :)

I wish that applied to *all* conures! Hah.
My YSGCC does that to me quite frequently(Mostly if I'm on the bed making something/eating something/doing something he wants to be a part of) but I know for a fact if I try to pick him up I'll get bit haha. Sometimes he'll fly over and once he does that we're fine and dandy, just can't touch him when he's on "his" property. :rolleyes:

kagan1042

Feb 11, 2014
Qld, Australia
Parrots
*Verde Birdy gcc 20.12.13-15.03.14 RIP sweet girl *

* Frootie - cinnamon gcc 26.01.14 *
* Pinky - Galah - early 1980's *
Frootie does this too. I think it's when she super excited and wants to fly to us and she's thinking about how far away we are. She's only just sussed out how to fly straight this week :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts