I Feel So Bad!

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
Wasent sure where to post this, but I just needed to vent. I work at a holistic pet store and we do sell birds. Mainly parakeets but we also had a pair of conures.

I say HAD because the sun cheeked (I think that's what it was) was sold about two weeks ago. I feel awful because the two conures were so bonded. The one left behind just seems so anxious and depressed. I feel horrible for him/her. He/she has a huge cage and a couple toys. And customers give him alot of attention because the bird is so desperate for attention, he runs to the front of the cage and bobs his head ect.

I am not personally allowed to open his cage or take him out, because I am fairly new. But I wish I could just to give him/her some one on one attention.

He also is fed a pellet based diet with no fresh fruit or veggies :(. The saddest part is he will probley be alone for a long time to come because they ask $400 for a conure, which to myself and most other people is outrageous.

Anyways like I said I just needed to vent.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sun x green cheek hybrid? Or the suncheek mutation of the green cheek conure? (one is typically a green bird, the other a burst of bright skittles like colors)

Pellets are far better than what they *could* be feeding him... and that's seed. $400 for a conure is actually a normal price range.... doesn't matter if you could get that same bird from a breeder for $200, parrots aren't exactly money makers since they require food, cleaning, toys, perches, etc. All things that cost money. The longer a bird sits in a store, the more it ends up costing the store in money.... so for them, it's best if they have a quick turn around with as much profit as they can get per animal.

Sad way to think of it that way, but not many people go into a pet store with the intention of buying two expensive birds.... :(

At least he is friendly, and hopefully he'll find a home quicker because of it!

OP
Fae88

Fae88

Oct 10, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Bruno (male Grey Cockatiel, under a year old)
The one who was sold had a bright orange head and a green body with other colors here and there. The bird that is still in the store has that deep blue/purple/black/I stink at describing these birds lol, head. And then the rest of his body is green with some other colors as well. I am definitely not an expert on Conures.

The bird left behind lets out this loud distressed call most of the day now. He only quiets down if a worker or customer talks to him and gives him attention. He never did this call until he was alone.

It is DEFINITELY better for him to be on a pellet diet. I just wish he could have more variety and fun toys since he is alone now. I will probley bring it up to my boss, she is very open to suggestions about the care of the animals in our store.

Like I said I am just new and hesitant to speak up. But I will for the conures sake :).

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Bright orange head usually falls into the sun, jenday or gold capped conure area, unless hybrid or mutation.

You say purple and I first think blue throated conure. Blue crowns are blue and green. Nandays are blue, black and green. The pyrrhuras come in all sorts of colors.

I hope your boss is willing to listen! :)

Most Reactions