I have a new sidekick!

dee99gt

Nov 4, 2010
Ohio
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo, Goffin Cockatoo
Greetings! I have been looking around for sometime for a larger bird. 7 years ago I used to have a few cockatiels that I have for several years. After my first pet ever a yellow cockatiel died I couldn't handle owning any of them because she was best friend. I did adopt a bare-eyed cockatoo, however due to my landlord forcing me to get rid of him I had no choice. For about a year now I decided since I live in my own home and just have a dog that Im ready for another bird. I visited the local pet store few times a month. Finally tonight I fell in love with a 6 month old umbrella cockatoo. I spent 3 hours sitting at the petstore playing with him and it was an amazing feeling. I will post pics up soon!

I hope to learn a lot from the forum. :white1:

They took a DNA test today so I'm not too sure how long it will take to find out. I like the name Harley. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Congratulations! I'd love to know a U2 named Bono or the Edge.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
You must be so excited, WE ALL KNOW THE FEELING
Nothing better in life, than been a guardian to such a delicate precious feathered friend.
Umbrella cockatoo are beautiful birds, many members will verify my statement.

Below is a link pertaining to names for parrots

http://loveofbirds.com/name.htm#D

Good luck and keep us updated

Last edited:
OP
dee99gt

dee99gt

Nov 4, 2010
Ohio
Parrots
Petstore wants to wait another week before I can get him =( I was a tad upset.. cause I was really planning on bringing him home tonight, but his cage and ton of toys are all set up!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Congrats on the new fid! (fid=feathered kid) :)

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
Congratulations! I'd love to know a U2 named Bono or the Edge.

YES!!! "It's a beautiful day!! Don't let it get away!" Bono would be an AWESOME name for a new baby U2!!

OP
dee99gt

dee99gt

Nov 4, 2010
Ohio
Parrots
Going to visit him today and play with him at the petstore..

Here is a question tho. I was searching petfinder for a rescue to possibly adopt a parrot in the future. Most of the rescues require you to live within 60-100 miles before they will consider. Is this normal? I am pretty big on adopting animals from shelters/rescue group. I have a 6 year old pug I rescued from the pound that I actually got for free because they were going to put her to sleep and now I couldn't live without her. I don't have a problem with buying a parrot from the petstore again, because I absolutely love my baby cockatoo I'm buying from there. His/Her cage is massive. I could actually sit and be on my knees inside the cage and have room to move around.

Most Reactions