I need some advice as to the perfect parrot for me.

Thehattress

May 25, 2013
Parrots
white capped pionus
:yellow1::yellow1:Hi everyone, I'm new to parrotforums and have been researching parrots avidly since the loss of my 9 year old cockatiel Pirl 2 months ago. I am 19 years old, and planning to study zoology and animal behavior. My animals always come first, so my schedule is created around my pets. I loved my bird dearly and am planning on finding a new bond sometime in the nearish future because I miss that presence in my life. I have always had many animals growing up, from cats and dogs to turtles, rabbits, a duck, and multiple wild birds i had rescued. I have less animals now than i ever have and have acquired a lot of experience in care for multiple species at one time, so attention is not much of a problem in having a parrot since I am used to having so many to care for at once. I currently live in an apartment with 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a rat. both dogs and cats are highly trained not to harm any animals i bring into the house, meaning there is no concern in their harming my new bird. In fact my cockatiel used to drive my cat crazy because she would follow her around talking to her, especially when she was eating because my birds favorite mirror is right next to my cats food bowl in the bathroom. my older dog is reaching the end of her days, so i am waiting until she passes to consider bringing this bird home, because otherwise it would be too crowded.
I have been considering a couple species, but because i am in an apartment a cockatoo or amazon are out of the question.
Though I have been looking into African greys, a maximillian or blue headed pionus, an eclectus, or maybe a senegal.
I am interested in a bird with a "better" vocabulary ability, though pur speech is not as important to me as the need for a slightly quieter bird. In saying this, i expect any bird to have the occasional fit and loud moments and it would be wrong of me to desire better. i am more just worried about excessive screamers, like the cockatoo for instance.
An african grey is probably the largest i can go for, but i do want a bird that is larger than say a cockatiel or a conure.
I plan to consistently train and mentally stimulate this bird, as i want it to be the best lifetime companion that it can be, without being mean to everyone else, as my cockatiel was absolutely a one person bird.

I appreiciate all feedback, please give me any advice that may be useful in my new baby :) I am also still researching, and plan to do this right before i bring one home, so please dont be too negatively critical to me.

Thank you! :D:D

OP
T

Thehattress

May 25, 2013
Parrots
white capped pionus
I've read up and gone to a tropical bird store that had them, they tend to be a little lazier. Some people call them perch potatoes and that seems to be a little accurate. I would like a bird that i can play and goof around with. I think I might be leaning more toward an African grey. I realize they are a much larger consideration than most other birds, and I am completely willing to take that responsibility. My cockatiel spent almost every moment with me and out of the cage, she had free range of the whole house as well, and i plan to do the same with this bird.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Another bird to look into is the African red bellied parrot. They are quieter ,can occupy themselves They have the ability to learn a good vocabulary, They are very affectionate and I don't think they ae prone to plucking like an unhappy african grey. Although I must Say I am currently watching 2 cags and a zon and they are all delightful. Just be realistic into how much time you will have with your studies. I wish you luck and can't wait to see what you choose:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts