I search of information

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
Bossy my Blue&Gold grinds her beak when in her cage is this normal thing to do?

Parrots in the wild constantly grind down their beaks on tree branches to keep them sharp and well-conditioned. Captive parrots will use anything that's around, be it something in the cage - you can get a sand-papery perch if your bird is OK with it - or your furniture (I have to replace 3 room doors already, but it's alright... my bird's happiness matters most). Mine will wipe/grind her beak after each meal, even on my damn shirt if she's sitting on my shoulder (be wary of this because I somehow got her into this habit and now have little holes in many shirts on the left shoulder).

Anyway, google "parrot overgrown beak" and look at images. This is what happens to captive parrots who don't have anything to grind their beaks on. You can go to your vet and he or she will grind it down nice and smooth to perfection with a drill-type thing, but it looked terrifying in a video on youtube (vibrations to the brain from the electric drill), so I only had it done one time in the 3 years when hers was just getting too long.

Anyway, it's normal. You can also get a stone at a pet store that you attach to the cage and hope your bird figures out what to do with it.

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
I hope that's what you meant. If you meant just moving her beak around and making these little sounds, it's the bird relaxing. I read something about endorphins getting released when the bird does that, putting the bird in a relaxed state, often before sleep. Mine does that.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Cockatoo does it every time she is resting. It is healthy and keeps it in good shape.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thats parrot for " I am content and relaxed". My Salty does it when on my shoulder just hanging out.

Most Reactions