Bird hanging behavior

Noelohwell

Jun 29, 2018
Central Virginia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
So I've had Charlie about a month now. The attached picture is something he does a lot. I've never seen a bird do this. He hangs from his beak in the cage, no feet attached. Does anybody have any ideas as to what he's doing? My 2 legged child has some neurological issues and I worry that Charlie's behavior is the sign of something worse.

I appreciate y'all looking. Thanks!

Attachments

• 37709661_10156430088112980_2659601246133944320_n.jpg
    37709661_10156430088112980_2659601246133944320_n.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Hi Noel,

could be just chillin' or indeed one of those restricted, repetitive behaviors...

(mine hangs on one toe from the ceiling, beak in the side bars, other leg dangling and sometimes weakly flapping her wings, for hours -> definitely disturbed behaviour on that one - she just gets herself in a trance-state that way. Since I know she had to spend a great deal of time without any direct interaction for some unknown time, I am not surpised; though it still breaks my heart every time she does it ... )

Your gorgeuous one was tested for all the usual diseases right?

He has been through a lot of changes lately; it could be something like sucking his thumb: only done for comfort only till he is completely comfortable with you and the situation (it wil peter out) of it might be a favorite behaviour (not sure if you can train him out of that -maybe someone else knows!).

(How is the charging at people and dogs going btw? I feel I sort of highjacked you post about that one ... sorry!)

Is he doing it for long periods of time or is it 'daily 10 minute yoga' ?

(what is he doing in the CAV cage anyway? Does he like it better in there? The ones here are forever swapping cages as well.)

Last edited:
OP
Noelohwell

Noelohwell

Jun 29, 2018
Central Virginia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
The picture is actually just the upper topmost portion of his cage. The cage is 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. He's hanging from what I call the "tower" portion. the wall opens to a playpen.

It's not small by any measure. :)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)

Opinions may differ about that ;)

( https://naturalinspirationsparrotcages.com/p/wingspan-info was the latest discussed in another topic)

Usually those in your picture are used to house CAV's that get out regularly ... hence my confusion.

(mine is roughly in 1meter x 1 meter x 2 meters aka 3,3 feet x 3,3 feet x 6,6 feet and it really is too small! :01:
The only way she fits is because of all the missing primaries and tail, the moment they grow in she'll need a larger one / or when I can get hold of one of course :eek: I am looking ...)

Last edited:

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
I saw that it was one of the split level cages in the pic. If that is going to be his cage he needs to spend most of his time out of it. JMO

I actually considered that style cage for my CAGs new home but went with a conventional playtop as they have more usable room.

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
A Yellow-Naped Amazon girl, named Kuba
Well I'd say he wants out of that cage. It's much too small for him.

Yeah, if that's how small the cage is, then wow. Can he even stretch his wings in there? You need a cage much bigger than that, one. Two, let him out and allow him to hang around the house like a dog or a cat or a human.

I don't know how long each day you keep him in that thing, but eventually he may develop physical and/or emotional issues. I'm not happy seeing him in that cage.

How long is he out of the cage each day? I agree with TOM, it looks like he wants to get out.

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
The picture is actually just the upper topmost portion of his cage. The cage is 5 feet high and 4 feet wide. He's hanging from what I call the "tower" portion. the wall opens to a playpen.

Can you please post a picture of the entire cage?

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots

Opinions may differ about that ;)

( https://naturalinspirationsparrotcages.com/p/wingspan-info was the latest discussed in another topic)

Usually those in your picture are used to house CAV's that get out regularly ... hence my confusion.

(mine is roughly in 1meter x 1 meter x 2 meters aka 3,3 feet x 3,3 feet x 6,6 feet and it really is too small! :01:
The only way she fits is because of all the missing primaries and tail, the moment they grow in she'll need a larger one / or when I can get hold of one of course :eek: I am looking ...)

Great link. Bookmarked it.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
Noel: I am not telling you that you are a bad birdperson or anything like that.
(just me being hopelessly tactless in general/ again, sorry)
I love the fact you keep comming in with questions (and that you are also figuring out all things B&G, just as I am) - sorry there are no easy, quick fix answers here.

For a normal persons point of vieuw you cage is indeed extremely large.
(Parrotpeople are not normal people, so they look at things a little bit different)
The birdcages you see in the shops are usually all smaller, so yea- I see you are doing your best.

Unfortunately you have an extremely large bird there - so everything needs to be upscaled a factor many-many. (I suck at numbers, sorry).
I was shocked myself when I found out just how large a minimal cage should be!
(thought I was doing pretty okay - then found out I was really lacking in providing enough wingspace / my house is not parrotproof so she can't be out all day every day.)

How is he out of the cage?
Are you guys settling down a bit?

OP
Noelohwell

Noelohwell

Jun 29, 2018
Central Virginia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
We are struggling with out of cage time actually. He immediately leaves the cage when he's out and charges everyone and everything. When he's out, everyone has to be alert and all other animals have to be put up. I can't pick him up by hand as he will bite. He's eating the better food a bit and we are backing down on the Wal-Mart crap he's on now. But he's aggressive. Very aggressive.

I'm truly not looking to be attacked and I'm doing the best I can. I appreciate everyone's input and yes, I understand that he needs a bigger cage. I am working on that.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
I was hoping he would be settling down a bit by now.
(this is no fun for you if he keeps this up)

Can you get him to charge an empty sodabottle?
(it's Sunny's favorite game, and she really blows of a lot of steam with it- running after it, atacking and grabbing it, throwing it around,sometimes even tripping herself up and falling over it))
He sounds like he is really in need of releasing some more energy (and you really need a hug! Doing al you can and he is being quite a challenge.)
* You can always tie it to a piece of string if you do not want to risk your fingers.

At first I was afraid I would be feeding her aggressive state, but it turned out okay.
(She had no stamina at all and was panting after 5 minutes, and a lot happier.)
My friends always think of the greys as cats-with-wings, for Sunny I need to think "puppy".

(LOL you have dogs- you must be beter at this than I am! ;) )

I am only a small step ahead of you, we really need a veteran/ mentor here!
There is so much to figure out.
(Could he also be cranky because of molting/ heat/breeding season ? I do not now...
all I can think of is: this guy wants to move (a lot) - so how can it be made fun for both of you?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Both of you should

a) read and read and then read again all the threads started by birdman666 who is our resident macaw expert. He has been sadly absent lately but hopefully will return with his very sage advice for macaw owners. Also read his response ( posts ) to other macaw owners in the past, with similar problems and questions.

b) read the stickies at the top of the page in the macaw subforum.

c) read the "I Love Amazons" on the amazon subforum, which has reams and reams of info that is applicable to all parrots.

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
I call it the "Birdy Treadmill!"

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMotPnx2ZYA"]Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo on Birdy Treadmill - YouTube[/ame]

caiquewalk

Feb 16, 2018
Media
Charlie has a similar thing he does by contorting his body into weird exorcist poses. It just means he wants out of his cage. Lucky boy though that it’s usually only for 10 minutes at a time while I leave the room.

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
Noel: I am not telling you that you are a bad birdperson or anything like that.
(just me being hopelessly tactless in general/ again, sorry)
I love the fact you keep comming in with questions (and that you are also figuring out all things B&G, just as I am) - sorry there are no easy, quick fix answers here.

For a normal persons point of vieuw you cage is indeed extremely large.
(Parrotpeople are not normal people, so they look at things a little bit different)
The birdcages you see in the shops are usually all smaller, so yea- I see you are doing your best.

Unfortunately you have an extremely large bird there - so everything needs to be upscaled a factor many-many. (I suck at numbers, sorry).
I was shocked myself when I found out just how large a minimal cage should be!
(thought I was doing pretty okay - then found out I was really lacking in providing enough wingspace / my house is not parrotproof so she can't be out all day every day.)

How is he out of the cage?
Are you guys settling down a bit?

Yeah, Noel, don't take any criticism in a bad way. You're trying to learn what to do and that is to be respected. There are mistakes that will be made and, to be honest, after 3 years with my bird, I'm still learning and adjusting certain things. Please keep asking questions.

ChrisYNA

Jul 3, 2018
NJ, USA
Parrots
We are struggling with out of cage time actually. He immediately leaves the cage when he's out and charges everyone and everything. When he's out, everyone has to be alert and all other animals have to be put up. I can't pick him up by hand as he will bite. He's eating the better food a bit and we are backing down on the Wal-Mart crap he's on now. But he's aggressive. Very aggressive.

I'm truly not looking to be attacked and I'm doing the best I can. I appreciate everyone's input and yes, I understand that he needs a bigger cage. I am working on that.

Well, this will take time. I would keep animals away for now. I would also not try to touch him if he doesn't want to be touched. Give him time to learn to trust his new people. Allow him to hang out in the room, out of cage, and relax. Give him space and don't be pushy. It could be weeks, but things will settle down. New people. New environment. He's probably scared and bewildered right now. I would guess that's why he is aggressive.

Glad you're getting him off Walmart food. The original owner of my bird fed her this generic bird food from Walmart that wasn't even for her species. I'm still trying to improve her eating habits.

Find what your bird likes to eat and try giving it (carefully) to him by hand. A walnut or apple or some other snack. Also, if you can, hold the food bowl for him for his main meal when he's hungry (I do that for my girl, sometimes food bowl in one hand and water bowl in the other if she's not eating in her cage). You need to desensitize him to your hands and that will take some doing.

You know what I did when my bird would bite in the beginning? And she bites hard. I mean, skin ripped open and blood, black and blues inches wide, etc.. I made the decision to overwhelm her with kindness. That's what I did. I made the decision. That meant feeding her snacks by hand. Speaking softly. Trying to make her feel safe. Not forcing her to do things she didn't want. Not freaking out and screaming when she did bite. We have a great relationship today.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Most of us are hopelessly bird-o-centric here, and passionatey so! Thank you for being so open-minded and receptive!!!!!!!!! I praise you, sincerely.

You've gotten some wonderful advice above.

Thank you for asking, and even more, for listening!

OP
Noelohwell

Noelohwell

Jun 29, 2018
Central Virginia
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
ChrisYNA, thank you so so much for your words! That's something I can do for sure. I was stressing us both out with the "I should's" instead of the easier "I can's."

Most Reactions