I think Emmett has PMS. . .

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
. . .yep -- parrot molting syndrome. I've been concerned b/c I been finding a few feathers on the bottom of his cage. I am hoping he's not plucking. It's been a busy week for me and we haven't had as much time together as usual. Still, I try to make up for it in the evening. The feathers I am finding are small and some that look old and tattered. The worst part of all of this is that he doesn't really want to be bothered with. Yesterday, it took forever for him to step up to me. Most attempts were met with a grouchy "No!" and a lunge at me when I ask. He's never done this with me before. Whenever he isn't interested, I take a step back and wait and try again a few minutes later. Eventually, he comes around.

If he is indeed molting, how long can I expect this behavior to last? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Tammy

May 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
It depends on the bird. It is mating season also. I don't know how old your bird is so I don't know if that would come into play. Extra sleep is always good advice for hormones. It's good to back off when he's clearly not interested. When my OWA does this I just say "Ok, I'll be back in a little bit in case you change your mind." Respecting your bird's moods/feelings always increases trust & bonding.

Mr. Precious goes through periods where certain times of day he suddenly wants to be left alone & it has nothing to do with molting. He sleeps on a playstand in my room & always came down with me first thing in the morning. Well he will go several days in a row of an open mouth lunge when I reach for him so I just let him sit up there for an extra hour for some quiet time.

OP
Fiwi

Fiwi

Feb 26, 2012
Maryland
Parrots
5 YO Red Sided Eclectus
Thank you for your reply Tammy! It's comforting to know that it's not just Emmett! He's been a little better of late. Still not sure if he's molting. A random feather here and there. He has a thin ring of missing feathers around his neck. ???
BTW, he's 5.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
It's molting season here as well... Max just lost his longest tail feather the other day... Now he looks young again... lol

Most Reactions