I would like to see your setup

Hurricane

Sep 6, 2010
If y'all would be so kind could you post pictures of your setups to give me some ideas?

I ordered a manzanita tree the other day which should be here soon, and I was thinking of setting it near the cage and doing something creative to link them together and hang a play gym from the ceiling for him as well. I have some ideas, but nothing that I really like so far.

So... pictures of cages and play stands/trees would be nice.

I also ordered a net for him to climb on, does anyone use anything like this? :D

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
I won't show you any photos of the cage since it's overdue for a cleaning, lol. Here are some pics of a hanging gym I made. It was really really easy and cheap to make. If you have a hook in your ceiling already you don't even need any nails, screws or drills. Hanging gyms are probably easier to make than standing play gyms because gravity does all the work of keeping the perches in the right places.
29xzmte.jpg

vie07a.jpg

2e548ox.jpg

awoo09.jpg

If you're interested, this is how I made it. (imperial measurements are wildly approximate and if you don't understand metric, use your judgement!)

Ingredients:

-Eucalyptus branches (or any bird-safe wood) $0
-Pruning saw $3
-Sandpaper $1
-Spool of cotton string $2 (+ scissors)
-10 metres (30 feet) of sisal rope $25 (i could only find a thin rope though, if you can get a thicker one it's better but will cost more)
total = $31!

1. cut the branches with the pruning saw into six pieces about 3 - 6cm (1 to 2 inches) in diameter and about 50 - 80cm (2 - 3ft) in length.
2. Sandpaper any rough spiky bits left over from the sawing and any nodules left from thin branches that may be spiky/poky.
3. Cut about 3 metres (9 feet) of the rope, and double it over. Tie a loose knot at the doubled-over end, so there's a loop of rope.
4. Cut another 3-metre (9 feet) length and thread it through the knot, start at the bottom of one side, go over-under-over-under the bits of the knot through the loop. You should have a loop, a knot, and four lengths of rope hanging from it. Tighten the knot if you can.
5. (See step 9. before continuing) Lay one branch on top of the other to make a cross. Fasten them together using the cotton string (look at one of the pics above).
6. About 40cm (1 1/2 feet) down from the knot, fasten the cross to the rope with string. (Make sure the lengths of rope above the cross are all the same length so it's not tilted at an angle) Hold it up so you can see which bits of rope are next to each other.
7. Fasten one branch to the rope at the end using two bits of rope that are next to each other. Fasten another branch with the other two bits of rope.
8. Fasten a branch 10-20cm (4 - 8 inches) above the ends of the two branches, then the same on the other side (You are trying to make a sort of square shape at the bottom).
9. Make a rope ladder by doubling over the remainder of your rope. Make a twist at the top so you have a circle about 40 cm (1 1/2 feet) in diameter. Fasten the twist with cotton string, and fasten together the rope a handspan on either side of the twist. Keep doing this all the way down and you'll have a rope ladder. (look at the pics for what it is supposed to look like) Hook this over the two branches that will be your cross before fastening them together. This rope ladder will hang down the middle of your play gym.

Oh and with the nets, don't buy them, make them! I have seen some absolutely unbelievable prices for made up nets, totally not worth it. There is a special knot you do, and once you get the hang of it, it's quite easy. I don't remember what the website was I saw the instructions for the knot though.

Last edited:

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Here are some shots of the ones I made for my birds.

This one I made for Eddie. It is constructed of Eucalyptus branches which are screwed and tied together:

EddiePlaystand.jpg

EddieOnPlaystand.jpg

And this one I made for Buddy out of the same materials:

Playgym1.jpg

hanginout.jpg

No rocket science to it but a few things you need to remember:
-Always use birdsafe wood
-Always inspect the wood (even when purchased) for any nasties.
-Use natural sisal rope
-Countersink any screws deep inside the timber
-If you are just using rope for joints, always check them to make sure they stay tight

:):):)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Mishka's Playpen / Trolley
It's a great invention, (for my little birdie brain) haha

I attached a playpen to a hostess trolley
Hung a chain with a bell, from the top, her favourite swinging spot
Attached a ladder, easy assess for her
Mishka often has little snacks between meals on here
Placed a board at the bottom, where she often walks and plays on
Mishka can easily be wheeled into any room in our apartment
It's her favourite seat, near the tv set

PLAYPEN.jpg

Last edited:

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Awesome thread!!!!! Hope lots of people put photos on :) I love the idea of the hanging playgym. Will go on a mission and try get one made - might ask someone to do it for me as I probably would hurt myself - hahahaha...

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Awesome thread!!!!! Hope lots of people put photos on :) I love the idea of the hanging playgym. Will go on a mission and try get one made - might ask someone to do it for me as I probably would hurt myself - hahahaha...

Just miss the ant's and you will be fine, otherwise

OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Sep 6, 2010
All of these are amazing! Now I want to make a hanging gym on my own! I was thinking of buying one, and the get a grip net I was dragging my feet on since they are $200 or more! I had a passing thought of getting creative, but with these instructions how could I not?

THANK YOU!

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Brilliant thread altogether!

Definately on the agenda for Cal....but maybe I'll wait a while as her new huge cage PACKED with toys is still largely unexplored!!!

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I don't have any nice pictures to show you, nor have I even begun building my 'play net' plan. I'm still drawing the blueprints for it right now. I'll show you when it's finished!

What I plan on doing:

-Buy cotton rope, and a bunch of new toys to hang on the net.

-Make a net out of the cotton rope, with loops on the ends that can be untied. The loops will be for hooking the net onto their perch in the office, and hooking it on to their cage. This will allow for the birds to climb from the perch on to the net. Since this thing isn't going to be pretty, I'll unhook it when they're not using it and put it away.

-Hang plenty of toys on the rope to play with.

And then, it's finished! I can't wait to see their reaction!

Mrspy

Jul 13, 2010
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure: Kiwi

Pacific Green Rumped Parrotlet: Peeps
Dang all of those playgyms are really nice guys! :) I have one but it's not really complicated.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
I was on the net and saw a birdie tent - hahahaha...was the cutest thing I ever saw!!!! I then decided to make my own and will see if Rosie likes it. I might have to make a couple of adjustments but it was easy and cost me nothing. I used thick cotton and a clean dishcloth I had in the cupboard. I then used a hook ring that was left over from Hugo's toys - sob and hung it up. Will see what she does....she loves hiding under things and in things so maybe she will hide tomorrow morning so that I can have a lie in. Hugo loved sleeping - shame but this one is up so early!!!!!

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets

You could do something like me except use thicker rope. It really wasn't that hard to do and my birds love it.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Chaos - that is so impressive - WOW!!!!Ok, I want one like that!!!! My ceiling is very high, maybe I can put a shelf up above Rosie's cage and use the underneath to attatch everything. Im useless at DIY but very willing to learn. Can you maybe tell me how you started etc. How big is your cage for your lovebird? I need to get a bigger one as Rosie's isnt very big - its the right size for a lovebird but I want one that is really big but doesnt have bars that are too far apart. I would be very grateful if you could give me the measurements :) Your birds look so happy :) What kind of a lovebird do you have? Are you not scared that they decide to launch from the top? Any help to get started would be appreciated.

Chaos_1.0

Jul 1, 2009
East Texas
Parrots
Cockatiel, Lovebird, 3 Parakeets
I don't remember the exact measurements of the cage and because i am away at college, I will just give you the estimates. The cage is 3 feet long, 3 feet wide, and about 4 feet tall.

For the play structure, I started with 3/8 in cotton rope but that was a little too small for what I wanted. I still have it up but I bought some 5/8 and it is much studier. Then I made a net using How To Make A Climbing Net For Your Parrot those instructions. then I just took ceiling hooks like this except a lot smaller 6" Ceiling Hooks - Planter Hardware - Ace Hardware. Then add whatever toys and stuff you want.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Just to throw another into the mix. Here is a real simple hanging one I made up for Eddie on the back veranda. Its too cold atm for him to go out there, but spring weather will get here.....eventually *sigh*, anyone would think it was still winter!:rolleyes:

HangingGym.jpg

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
I found the website that shows you how to tie the special knot for the net. Don't go and buy one!!!!! Waste of money!!!!

They all want $200+ when you can buy enough rope for about $20, and spend two hours making it.

You would have to pay yourself more than $90/hour to make it worth your while buying one from a shop!!!!!

How To Make A Climbing Net For Your Parrot

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Thanks Chaos for info....thanks folks for all those links - gonna go and check them out. Am excited to get creative...:)

xaranth

Aug 31, 2010
Portland, OR
Parrots
None yet! Doing my research :)
Such a cool thread guys. Aussie Ben, I especially like your setups. May I use one of the photos for an excerpt on my Posterous blog to promote this thread for anyone interested?

Cheers,

Most Reactions