Identify this parrot?

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
I have seen these guys many times before and have always wondered what they were. I saw some more this morning.

They are about the size of a cockatiel with a long, thin straight tail and a little black beak and I think I didn't see any iris around their eyes. The male's (I assume) feathers have a shiny mother-of-pearl texture to them. They are green all over except yellowy-green near the chest. The edges of the wings are plain brownish. Between the wings is a big red spot. The female (I assume) is dull and sparrow-coloured except greenish in between the wings down to the tail.

I tried to take a photo with my phone but it didn't turn out. There were two males and a female foraging in the grass and two males in two different birch trees nearby. One of the males in the trees looked like he didn't have a tail! Maybe injury, maybe a sub-species?

I am located in the central west of NSW but I am fairly sure I have seen them in Canberra also.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hard to say, sounds like some sort of grass keet, maybe a red rump parakeet, only one that comes to mind offhand thats sort of drab green with a yellowish chest and a red spot between the wings, though some color mutations can be quite beautiful with turquoise and blues and bright greens...

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Its a terrible photo, but are these the birds? I found these guys along the Murray, but I have seen them down in the city too (I'm in SA).

RedRumps.jpg

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Looks like two males there Ben, the hen is usually a lot less colorful..... Hen on left, male on the right...

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Looks like two males there Ben, the hen is usually a lot less colorful.....

Yea I noticed that, not sure where the females were on that particular day. Maybe back at the nest? I'm not too familiar with their behaviour.

Probably at the beauty shope fetting their feathers done and a pedicure :p, I'm sure I'm gonna catch heck for that comment....lol

OP
Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
Yup, those are the ones! Funny you say they are shy, they let me within a metre or so before they edged away. Red rumps is a funny name, it makes me think of baboons.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
Probably at the beauty shope fetting their feathers done and a pedicure :p, I'm sure I'm gonna catch heck for that comment....lol

You are a brave person;)

Yup, those are the ones! Funny you say they are shy, they let me within a metre or so before they edged away. Red rumps is a funny name, it makes me think of baboons.

Well shy in comparison to most other parrots around here I spose. Yea the name is kinda funny, but it is true, they do have big red bums.:p

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots

Think of mandrill's instead, they look sort of like a baboon but with a color splash

mandrill.jpg

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
I'm fairly proud of myself for being able to ID the bird with limited clues and not even being an Aussie at that....lol :p

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
I'm fairly proud of myself for being able to ID the bird with limited clues and not even being an Aussie at that....lol :p

Not hard, we're not all that bright:p....now I'm the one who is brave lol

i'm not all that bright either :32:, thats why I was fairly proud of myself ;)

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia

Most Reactions