If I move into condo will neighbors complain about my birds?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Juliet..personally.I doubt you'd have any problem with Rascal and 'Nut.
BB doesn't scream ( Thank GOD!) But when Smokey was alive,even though she didn't scream,when she was vocal,at times she was LOUD! I have a house,with a small yard ( 1/4 acre) and when she started to "Woo" I could hear her half way down the street!
But coz my neighborhood has dogs,no one said anything lol.

I doubt very much that Coconuts screaming would be bothersome. Does he do this ALOT???

Jim

It's not constant thank goodness but it does happen quite often. 'Nut is a young immature baby so I'm hoping as he grows up he'll snap out of it at least a LITTLE bit. His screaming isn't flock calls... it's screaming for attention and now out of bad habit... does it right into my ear when he's sitting on my shoulder... ouch! :34: I play with him a LOT and he has tons of toys... but the screaming has become a habit.. something he just now does". Yikes. I never had this issue before.... I understand flock calls which they do of course if they think I'm leaving the house... but never had this prob before I'm having with 'Nut. I hope he eventually sings more than screams... singing habit is awesome... screaming habit.. NO!

In the morning,as soon as BB hears my bed "squeak" from me getting out of it,he goes right to it! whistling,talking,chirping and singing :p it's loud,but sooooo sweet lol. Puts a big :D on my face right away1 Makes my morning a good one lol. He's a happy little boy!!

Jim

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Juliet..personally.I doubt you'd have any problem with Rascal and 'Nut.
BB doesn't scream ( Thank GOD!) But when Smokey was alive,even though she didn't scream,when she was vocal,at times she was LOUD! I have a house,with a small yard ( 1/4 acre) and when she started to "Woo" I could hear her half way down the street!
But coz my neighborhood has dogs,no one said anything lol.

I doubt very much that Coconuts screaming would be bothersome. Does he do this ALOT???

Jim

It's not constant thank goodness but it does happen quite often. 'Nut is a young immature baby so I'm hoping as he grows up he'll snap out of it at least a LITTLE bit. His screaming isn't flock calls... it's screaming for attention and now out of bad habit... does it right into my ear when he's sitting on my shoulder... ouch! :34: I play with him a LOT and he has tons of toys... but the screaming has become a habit.. something he just now does". Yikes. I never had this issue before.... I understand flock calls which they do of course if they think I'm leaving the house... but never had this prob before I'm having with 'Nut. I hope he eventually sings more than screams... singing habit is awesome... screaming habit.. NO!

In the morning,as soon as BB hears my bed "squeak" from me getting out of it,he goes right to it! whistling,talking,chirping and singing :p it's loud,but sooooo sweet lol. Puts a big :D on my face right away1 Makes my morning a good one lol. He's a happy little boy!!

Jim

I LOVE it when 'Nut sings... not only because I know he's happy then but it's so cool to listen to it... I wish he sung more! For some reason I don't think it's loud when he sings... maybe because when he screams it's way louder AND very annoying! LOL

Poor 'Nut all he wants to do is play.. right now it's Rascal's turn out of the cage and boy is 'Nut VERY unhappy about it and is letting me know it screaming and screaming... I am currently setting another cage up in separate room which is where he'll be only when I have Rascal out (and vice versa) and will play the radio for him because covering half the cage so he doesn't see me out with Rascal doesn't work anymore... cuz he KNOWS what's going on... me lovin on Rascal while he's trapped in a cage!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Jim

I LOVE it when 'Nut sings... not only because I know he's happy then but it's so cool to listen to it... I wish he sung more! For some reason I don't think it's loud when he sings... maybe because when he screams it's way louder AND very annoying! LOL

Poor 'Nut all he wants to do is play.. right now it's Rascal's turn out of the cage and boy is 'Nut VERY unhappy about it and is letting me know it screaming and screaming... I am currently setting another cage up in separate room which is where he'll be only when I have Rascal out (and vice versa) and will play the radio for him because covering half the cage so he doesn't see me out with Rascal doesn't work anymore... cuz he KNOWS what's going on... me lovin on Rascal while he's trapped in a cage!!

Juliet? Can you capture 'lil 'Nut on video screaming? I'd like to hear what it sounds like,so I can prepare myself...just in case! :eek:

Jim

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Jim

Juliet? Can you capture 'lil 'Nut on video screaming? I'd like to hear what it sounds like,so I can prepare myself...just in case! :eek:

Jim

Sure thing... I'll get it on video :)

His screams aren't as loud as flock calls thank goodness!... but the fact that it happens so often is what makes it bad. I can't be on the phone when he's doing it I have to lock myself in the car in my garage. Lately he always does it whenever I am on the phone... not sure why that triggers him.

... but tomorrow I will be moving a cage into spare bedroom and buying a radio.... from now on 'Nut will be in that cage with radio playing only while I have Rascal out. This should help until I can finally have both out of cage at same time.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
It could just depend on the condo's Association/ordinances. Some walls can be thin but I think maybe the newer built ones have differences? I know some condos can be very strict with noises. But it's not like you're bringing cockatoos, macaws or conures in.

I know the several times I lived in apartments, they consider "pets" mostly cats and dogs, "small animals" like a hamster, etc. They were fine when I had Baby. Some even list "exotics" as separate as well. Yay for living in Florida! :D The ones who are also "pet-friendly" are good. When I lived in apartments, he was mostly quiet. I guess if I had my windows open I could hear him in the walkway or if I was next to my bedroom window. I heard my neighbor's music and chatter more inside and outside my apartment...more than I heard Baby. :rolleyes: If some complained about Baby, which they never did, it was also fine because I was friends with the manager (she had a cockatiel too) and some people had cockatiels and parakeets too. Even though their birds were mostly on the patio.:34:

RE: leaving music on. It sounds tacky but I purchased a bird CD just for Baby on Amazon that is nice and soothing for me and him.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Here is short vid of ‘Nut when he’s “screaming”… he does it MUCH worse when I’m on the phone as he then increases volume and the screams are much more rapid (less silence in between each scream he just fires them out one after the other) even when I'm in plain sight, trust me it is literally impossible to use the phone anywhere in the house when he does it and when I’m on the phone it triggers him to go even more haywire... it’s ONLY Coconut you can hear in video… Rascal was dead silent and doesn’t have this issue at all.

I work from home and I cannot even use the phone which is HUGE problem… singing is not a problem at all… it’s this out of control screaming!!! My house is empty (no furniture) so you can hear the echo.

‘Nut is super calm and relaxed at night when we watch TV. It’s so nice … but during the day he’s out of control. I’m concerned if I will have problems in a one bedroom condo from neighbor complaints… plan to put ‘Nut in tiny cage cover it when he’s out of control and hope he eventually learns to not do this???

[ame="https://youtu.be/oCK28UQRQOk"]Coconut screaming nonstop - YouTube[/ame]

‘Nut is always nice and relaxed in the evenings… here I’m the one bothering him with my hand and very annoying voice when he’s trying to snooze. My bad!
[ame="https://youtu.be/2jhRZ9otQNQ"]Coconut chilling out in the evening hours :) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

I love it when they "attack" with their little beakys lol..BB does that when I aggro him,he just keeps hitting and hitting my fingers :rolleyes: :p I think its funny lol.

Only time it's NOT funny...is when he suddenly attacks my EAR! He'll be just sitting on my shoulder,and out of the blue,he rapidly beaks my ear! It kind of pinches is all, but it is very annoying! :mad:

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Here is short vid of ‘Nut when he’s “screaming”… he does it MUCH worse when I’m on the phone as he then increases volume and the screams are much more rapid (less silence in between each scream he just fires them out one after the other) even when I'm in plain sight, trust me it is literally impossible to use the phone anywhere in the house when he does it and when I’m on the phone it triggers him to go even more haywire... it’s ONLY Coconut you can hear in video… Rascal was dead silent and doesn’t have this issue at all.

I work from home and I cannot even use the phone which is HUGE problem… singing is not a problem at all… it’s this out of control screaming!!! My house is empty (no furniture) so you can hear the echo.

‘Nut is super calm and relaxed at night when we watch TV. It’s so nice … but during the day he’s out of control. I’m concerned if I will have problems in a one bedroom condo from neighbor complaints… plan to put ‘Nut in tiny cage cover it when he’s out of control and hope he eventually learns to not do this???

Coconut screaming nonstop - YouTube

It has been a long time since I lived with a tiel, so forgive my ignorance... but that does not sound like screaming! More like an urgent "contact call." Perhaps I am wrong and that actually is tiel screaming?

Regardless, can you isolate some of the differences between day and night when Coconut is mellow? Something in his environment is driving the need for unwanted vocalization during the day.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I love it when they "attack" with their little beakys lol..BB does that when I aggro him,he just keeps hitting and hitting my fingers :rolleyes: :p I think its funny lol.

Only time it's NOT funny...is when he suddenly attacks my EAR! He'll be just sitting on my shoulder,and out of the blue,he rapidly beaks my ear! It kind of pinches is all, but it is very annoying! :mad:

Jim

I LOVE how gentle 'Nut is when he bites me unlike Rascal he bites REALLY hard (he will put a hole through your fingernail). Coconut just tickles my fingers no matter how mad he is at me... growling and everything making it look very vicious. It is very funny indeed :D ... he's so sweet to not want to hurt me... unlike Rascal who thinks he is supposed to bite through fingernails as if it were a nut to crack. Ouch!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Coconut screaming nonstop - YouTube

It has been a long time since I lived with a tiel, so forgive my ignorance... but that does not sound like screaming! More like an urgent "contact call." Perhaps I am wrong and that actually is tiel screaming?

Regardless, can you isolate some of the differences between day and night when Coconut is mellow? Something in his environment is driving the need for unwanted vocalization during the day.

At night before bedtime 'Nut is very relaxed because he knows it's bedtime. I only watch TV for one hour then go bed at 8:30pm or 9pm (I go bed early)... but the room is darker then so he knows it's bed time... he puts himself to bed at night. Thankfully he's been chilled out now for past hour or so :)

I have noticed that by the end of the day towards late afternoon he mellows out... earlier in the day he's a lot more haywire and goes bonkers like a mad man. I'm home all day sitting in same chair in living room working on my laptop... but in late afternoons he's just more mellow.... thank goodness!

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Do you think if every now and then I have Coconut and Rascal on the screened in porch the condo has people are going to complain? Not talking about them screaming... but if Coconut is just singing outside on the condo's porch?

As he loves to sing outside. I'm starting to get really turned off about me living in a condo... then I'd also have to deal with HOA which I do not have right now in my house. I don't trust HOA... HOA isn't regulated by anyone and I've heard too many horror stories.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Do you think if every now and then I have Coconut and Rascal on the screened in porch the condo has people are going to complain? Not talking about them screaming... but if Coconut is just singing outside on the condo's porch?

As he loves to sing outside. I'm starting to get really turned off about me living in a condo... then I'd also have to deal with HOA which I do not have right now in my house. I don't trust HOA... HOA isn't regulated by anyone and I've heard too many horror stories.

HOA can do pretty much as they damn well please Juliet! I had a friend who lived in a "gated community" in Napels Fla and they would not allow him to park his pick up truck in the driveway! It had to be garaged! ( It wasn't a piece of junk either!)
Then he and his wife changed the wood chips around their shrubs..and IN THE NIGHT..the HOA sent people to rake all of it up and put the "proper" shavings around the shrubs...and they CHARGED my friend for doing it!!

Jim

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

HOA can do pretty much as they damn well please Juliet! I had a friend who lived in a "gated community" in Napels Fla and they would not allow him to park his pick up truck in the driveway! It had to be garaged! ( It wasn't a piece of junk either!)
Then he and his wife changed the wood chips around their shrubs..and IN THE NIGHT..the HOA sent people to rake all of it up and put the "proper" shavings around the shrubs...and they CHARGED my friend for doing it!!

Jim

I've been reading lots of horror stories online people being victimized by HOA. It doesn't sit well with me that they are not regulated and can do whatever they want it makes me nervous!

I guess I will really have to research the HOA... see how many delinquencies they have, their track record of doing "special assessments" and if they contemplate doing any in the next 6 month or year, how big their reserve is... do they allow tenants etc and I'll IGNORE what their "bylaws" say since it's RUBBISH and will focus on their fine print instead which tells the real story... hopefully that might help lessen chances me getting screwed.

I've been trying to research online... but I still have no idea what I'm doing :34:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Our HOA had a rigorous screening of Kiwi (apparently with all pets), but hasn't been any issue since we moved in. In fact, every time I've contacted them, they have been nice. Yes, there are rules (some I'm not personally fond of) and if you do not abide by them, they can force you to comply or move. Be sure to take the time to read the HOA bylaws before moving in and be certain you are ok with what they are entitled to do and expect you to do.

Also, as I sit with a peeling tub/shower with no fixtures trying to figure out how to fix the mess, I was thinking of you mentioning wanting a fixer:D. Be certain you get a really good home inspector and are fully aware of the foreseeable issues you face, how much they will cost to repair, whether you will need a pro or can DIY those repairs and what is urgent VS cosmetic. Also expect and plan to run into unforeseen issues, like we just did that will put your other renovations and updates behind schedule and bring other things you planned to do in the future to an immediate need. Also prepare to have hours and hours of tedious work be for naught because you run into issues and have to go in a whole other direction than what you initially planned. That or look into a rehab loan if you have a few months to wait (we did not or we'd be in a house instead of a condo), where you can have professionals go in, fix it up and have it perfect when you move in.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Our HOA had a rigorous screening of Kiwi (apparently with all pets), but hasn't been any issue since we moved in. In fact, every time I've contacted them, they have been nice. Yes, there are rules (some I'm not personally fond of) and if you do not abide by them, they can force you to comply or move. Be sure to take the time to read the HOA bylaws before moving in and be certain you are ok with what they are entitled to do and expect you to do.

Also, as I sit with a peeling tub/shower with no fixtures trying to figure out how to fix the mess, I was thinking of you mentioning wanting a fixer:D. Be certain you get a really good home inspector and are fully aware of the foreseeable issues you face, how much they will cost to repair, whether you will need a pro or can DIY those repairs and what is urgent VS cosmetic. Also expect and plan to run into unforeseen issues, like we just did that will put your other renovations and updates behind schedule and bring other things you planned to do in the future to an immediate need. Also prepare to have hours and hours of tedious work be for naught because you run into issues and have to go in a whole other direction than what you initially planned. That or look into a rehab loan if you have a few months to wait (we did not or we'd be in a house instead of a condo), where you can have professionals go in, fix it up and have it perfect when you move in.

Thanks for the advice :)

I just hope I'm not making a really stupid mistake by selling a 3BR/2BA house which has been appreciating in value and is now worth about 300k to buy a cheaper tiny 1BR/1BA condo for about 150k as I know condos appreciate in value much slower and I keep hearing it would be bad investment to buy 1BR/1BA condo.

... but I really need to lower my monthly expenses (property tax in tiny condo would be half what it is in my house) and I need to invest the profits from selling my house and invest it (I'd be getting 10% return) to at least START to generate stable income since my job is commission based only.

I'm single female with NO kids... I don't need a 3BR/2BA house. I plan to go look at several condos and hope to figure this whole mess out :) :52:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
The thing you have to keep in mind is that everyone is different, everyones life situation is different and what may be a good investment for some may not be right for another. You say you need to reduce your expenses. You are single, have no intentions of living with a S/O or roommate, don't want kids and you're right that a large home is not really necessary for someone in your situation. While a house may appreciate in value faster, a condo may allow you to save more money that you can use as you please and won't be tied up in the equity of a home that's more space than you use and has become a financial burden.

I would also be sure you check out different real estate agents. I'm kind of gathering the one your working with may not be addressing the questions you have properly. We had initially contacted an agent who was experienced selling condos but wasn't interested in addressing our concerns about them, wan't being all that helpful finding listings given the extremely tight time scale we were on, was actually kind of a snot and we ended up contacting another agent who didn't even typically show condos but ended up being really helpful and really working to help us get in the best option for the situation we were in. I'd shop around for the right agent if I were you, especially if it is not an absolutely dire situation to get out of where you are.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
The thing you have to keep in mind is that everyone is different, everyones life situation is different and what may be a good investment for some may not be right for another. You say you need to reduce your expenses. You are single, have no intentions of living with a S/O or roommate, don't want kids and you're right that a large home is not really necessary for someone in your situation. While a house may appreciate in value faster, a condo may allow you to save more money that you can use as you please and won't be tied up in the equity of a home that's more space than you use and has become a financial burden.

I would also be sure you check out different real estate agents. I'm kind of gathering the one your working with may not be addressing the questions you have properly. We had initially contacted an agent who was experienced selling condos but wasn't interested in addressing our concerns about them, wan't being all that helpful finding listings given the extremely tight time scale we were on, was actually kind of a snot and we ended up contacting another agent who didn't even typically show condos but ended up being really helpful and really working to help us get in the best option for the situation we were in. I'd shop around for the right agent if I were you, especially if it is not an absolutely dire situation to get out of where you are.

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head. Right now at this time in my life my priority is definitely to reduce expenses and save more money. Plus this would also get me at least $1,500/month stable income (after I invest the money I have from selling my house) when right now I ZERO stable income. The commissions from my insurance job are quite big but they don't come often enough and are very difficult to get... so priority is stable income to sustain me in between commissions... not holding onto a house I don't need or belong in. I can always invest in better properties in the future when ready and able. Hopefully :)

I just stumbled upon a new concern about HOA. I read that HOA will often demand to go inside your condo to do pest control? I NEVER allow people to use pesticides inside my home... only the exterior because I'm very sensitive to such toxic chemicals/pesticides as are my birds... what if they put gel bait to kill ants and my tiels eat it because I didn't even realize they put it there. This is yet another issue I will have to make sure I won't have problems with.

I definitely plan to change the lock on my condo's front door... it's just creepy to think they might barge in when I'm out of town and not there... I know they aren't supposed to (unless there is emergency) but I've now read a lot of such stories online about HOA going into peoples homes without consent or knowledge. I know I tend to over analyze stuff but that just creeps me the heck out, yikes :34:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Be certain you read the laws and by-laws. I am not sure they can enter your condo without notice unless there is a major emergency like fire or water flooding (unless, of course, they state in their by laws that they can). Have your realtor to include as a condition of your offer that you have to find the terms agreeable so you can back out if they are not something you'd be ok with. Ours has a few I find to be a nuisance (such as having to have blinds and not being allowed to hang laundry outside), but nothing too outrageous. They are allowed to do whatever they wish to the exterior, but have to give prior notice if they plan to rip off the roof or re-paint the patio. I was sure to read every word of the book I got from the HOA and had the realtor contact them with some things I wanted clarified before the sale proceeded. Don't be afraid to do the same. You need to be informed of what you're getting into so you aren't shocked when they barge in because you agreed to that term buy buying in that complex.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Be certain you read the laws and by-laws. I am not sure they can enter your condo without notice unless there is a major emergency like fire or water flooding (unless, of course, they state in their by laws that they can). Have your realtor to include as a condition of your offer that you have to find the terms agreeable so you can back out if they are not something you'd be ok with. Ours has a few I find to be a nuisance (such as having to have blinds and not being allowed to hang laundry outside), but nothing too outrageous. They are allowed to do whatever they wish to the exterior, but have to give prior notice if they plan to rip off the roof or re-paint the patio. I was sure to read every word of the book I got from the HOA and had the realtor contact them with some things I wanted clarified before the sale proceeded. Don't be afraid to do the same. You need to be informed of what you're getting into so you aren't shocked when they barge in because you agreed to that term buy buying in that complex.

I'll be reading every line of the HOA laws/rules. I'll make 100% certain I know all the details that's for sure... don't want any surprises! :)
What makes this situation embarrassing is that I don't have a mortgage on my house as it's been paid off (I'm thankful for that... I know many aren't that fortunate)... but the upkeep costs... taxes.... house needs new roof (super expensive!!) and everything are too expensive (I just had to get a new AC unit 7 months ago... expensive!!!). It would be... or at least should be much cheaper in tiny 1 BR/1BA condo... and I'll at least be starting to form stable income with investing the money from sale of the house... rather than continuing to sink in this house which is a money pit.

Last edited:

mekat

Jul 5, 2015
Have you looked into buying a smaller house or even a duplex and renting out the other side? How about renting a condo for a year to see if it is something you can handle? I have lived in a lot apartments and single family homes and it is quite an adjustment.
I never had problems with my birds when I lived in an apartment but it was an end unit and I kept the birds (2 tiels & 2 parakeets) in the corner where there were no shared walls. I did live in apartment that was in the center of the building once but at the time only had one tiel, once again no problems at all with the neighbors.

Personally I hate sharing walls with other people you lose a lot of serenity, privacy and freedom when that happens. The birds were never the issue it was always the noisy (and nosy) neighbors and the not being able to completely control your surroundings that drove me nuts. Keep in mind when you live close to other people the neighbors can make or break your experience. So don't just check out the condo meet the people you will be sharing walls and facilities with as well.

Last edited:

Most Reactions