If I move into condo will neighbors complain about my birds?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Have you looked into buying a smaller house or even a duplex and renting out the other side? How about renting a condo for a year to see if it is something you can handle? I have lived in a lot apartments and single family homes and it is quite an adjustment.
I never had problems with my birds when I lived in an apartment but it was an end unit and I kept the birds (2 tiels & 2 parakeets) in the corner where there were no shared walls. I did live in apartment that was in the center of the building once but at the time only had one tiel, once again no problems at all with the neighbors.

Personally I hate sharing walls with other people you lose a lot of serenity, privacy and freedom when that happens. The birds were never the issue it was always the noisy (and nosy) neighbors and the not being able to completely control your surroundings that drove me nuts. Keep in mind when you live close to other people the neighbors can make or break your experience. So don't just check out the condo meet the people you will be sharing walls and facilities with as well.

This morning I drove by some condos to check out the outside and tried to imagine myself living in it... it'll definitely be an adjustment. People certainly are crammed on top of each other... kind of felt "claustrophobic".... but maybe it won't feel like that when I'm actually inside the condo. I really need to see the inside of several and hang out there for a while... and investigate the HOA etc.

I REALLY don't want to ever rent real estate not even as a temporary thing... as it's money out the window. I rent a car but when it comes to real estate I'm not a fan of renting. I would totally get a duplex and rent out half... but right now I think (not sure) what makes most sense is a 1 BR/1BA condo because I really need to lower my expenses... if I go crazy after 1 year there I can try to sell it if I'm on the verge of going crazy there... hopefully not :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I completely understand your desire to trade-off more "house" than you need in favor of lower costs and seeding an investment strategy.

My only comment is to deeply assess the "value" of owning a home and all of the attendant benefits vs living in a condo with a potentially pesky HOA breathing down your back. It is certainly an adjustment moving from your own "four walls" to a shared community.

Have you considered either a mobile-home or manufactured-home park? I assume there are HOAs as well, but at least the dwellings are not directly attached and this may mitigate the noise somewhat. OTOH, mobile homes are not nearly as survivable in Florida hurricanes.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I completely understand your desire to trade-off more "house" than you need in favor of lower costs and seeding an investment strategy.

My only comment is to deeply assess the "value" of owning a home and all of the attendant benefits vs living in a condo with a potentially pesky HOA breathing down your back. It is certainly an adjustment moving from your own "four walls" to a shared community.

Have you considered either a mobile-home or manufactured-home park? I assume there are HOAs as well, but at least the dwellings are not directly attached and this may mitigate the noise somewhat. OTOH, mobile homes are not nearly as survivable in Florida hurricanes.

I can see myself living in a tiny condo but cannot see myself living in a mobile home. I'm a little worried if it's going to be a HUGE shock or just how big of a difference being in a condo is than a house. I mean... when I'm in a hotel on business travel I've always wondered what it would be like to live in a hotel and the noise in the hotel from others didn't bother me at all UNLESS the noise was from screaming or crying babies or a dog that would not stop barking and barking and barking... that would drive me INSANE. :eek:

... but I assume the walls in a hotel are MUCH thinner than that of a condo... I still haven't even looked at any condos yet but have a list of a few I want to go see next week. Should be interesting and/or depressing! This is supposed to be a temporary thing... maybe a year or two max.... HOPEFULLY.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Sorry if this is a daft question, is it not possible just to downsize your house? A way of bypassing these people controlling, self appointed organisations?

We have one bed houses over here, obviously there are By-laws relating for noise and nuisance but I don't think two little birds would be a problem really.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Sorry if this is a daft question, is it not possible just to downsize your house? A way of bypassing these people controlling, self appointed organisations?

We have one bed houses over here, obviously there are By-laws relating for noise and nuisance but I don't think two little birds would be a problem really.

My house is a tiny 1,300 SQ FT house and has no HOA. The condos I'm looking at are about 800 SQ Ft... and if I found a smaller house with 2 bedrooms I would still have lower expenses living in a 1 BR/1BA condo... I think... not sure. As you cans see I have no idea what I'm doing :) :(

I have a day/time scheduled with a realtor to look at a few condos on wednesday... I'll see how it goes... all I know is my priority now it to at least START to generate stable income and the best way I see is downsizing my house to a condo and use the profits from the sale of my house to invest and get 10% returns on it...

Most Reactions