I'll soon be a parront! :)

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
I've seen snow in pretty much every month (except maybe June or July) so nothing's really new. Sometimes winter starts in September. Problem is, I'm not really suited to this weather. I get cold really easily. I'm sitting by a space heater atm lol. I was born in Nevada so...

The breeder said the weather is better today. They got 13 inches of snow! He should come today nonetheless.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
It's currently overcast and chili here in northern Nevada... chili as in 65°.... last week, it was 70's to 80's, which was a nice respite from the 90-100+ temps we were having the weeks before. I can handle the cold better than I can the heat, but do prefer temps in the 50's to 70's.

My S.O. is the opposite.... he handles the heat better than the cold!

Neither of us were born here, but we've both lived in Nevada for 15+ years. I grew up 15 minutes across the border in California and often went grocery shopping in Nevada (closest major city and grocery stores!) so we've both been familiar with the Nevada weather for most of our lives. I hate it! lol

It's been a few years that we've gotten a proper winter... lately, it's like it can't decide if it's supposed to be winter, spring or summer - during winter!

So I can't say you are missing much! Unless you mean southern Nevada.... I haven't really visited that area much so can't comment!

Must be antsy waiting for your new baby!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Don't you live in the general vicinity of Terry in Edmonton? I prefer cold to heat, but that part of the world is a special kind of cold! Not sure I could manage for a season let alone many years!

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
So, that was interesting. We got to the airport early and looked at the screen and the flight was delayed. It was supposed to arrive at 5:30 and it was delayed until 5:48. Not that much. We talked to the lady at one of the WestJet booths (only two, it's a small airport lol), and she said it would be at least 6 when he would be unloaded and brought out. The lady was so nice.

We were there around 4:30 or 5, so we thought we could do a little more shopping. We live around 45 minutes from Grande Prairie so any excuse to get groceries at a cheap price than the smaller town (10 minutes away) we take. We went to Walmart and picked up some groceries and came back to the airport a little late. We arrived at 6:15 but luckily he wasn't unloaded yet. We showed the lady my ID and I signed the papers. The first thing we noticed was that he was in a plastic carrier (like would be used for small cats) with millet, apples and oranges for moisture, and a perch. I'm really impressed with how he came.

His coloring is amazing, my Mom, my brother, and me instantly loved him. He didn't look very stressed. We took him out to the truck and we drove home after getting some gas and stuff. He handled it well, and he was eating millet (stress eating I guess), but he was fine. The breeder was concerned and wanted to know as soon as we picked him up, which was nice. :)

He was looking at me and nibbling my fingers through the carrier. Eventually he started hanging on the wire door looking at me. I thought maybe he was being friendly, so I opened the carrier. Probably a bad idea in hindsight, but I couldn't help it! He climbed up onto the door and then up my arm and straight to my shoulder. He was playing with my hair and going from one shoulder to the other, it was so cute. He would nibble at my eyes, but I told him no. But then, he started climbing on my face! It hurt, and he started freaking out. Luckily I was able to get him back in the carrier, so he would be safe.

When we got home, I brought him in and set him near his cage. He was just hanging on the side of the carrier. He was probably very stressed. We brought in the groceries and let him settle for a bit. When I opened the carrier to put him in the cage (although I wasn't going to push him), he was reluctant at first but soon stepped onto my hand. He climbed on my shoulder, did the usual stuff, this time climbing on my face less. My parent were also there. We wanted to put him in his cage to settle down, but he just wanted climb all over me! :D He was preening my hair and stuff, it was so cute.

By this time it was about 9 PM, so he really had to go to sleep. He wouldn't go in his cage, he kept climbing up my arm or flying to my shoulder, lol. Eventually, we got him in and covered him for the night and I promised him we'd snuggle tomorrow. He was doing the flock call for a bit, but now he's quieted down.

The breeder obviously did a good job. He looks healthy, has gorgeous colors, and he's really friendly. On the first day he was climbing on me! Wow! :D

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
It's currently overcast and chili here in northern Nevada... chili as in 65°.... last week, it was 70's to 80's, which was a nice respite from the 90-100+ temps we were having the weeks before. I can handle the cold better than I can the heat, but do prefer temps in the 50's to 70's.

My S.O. is the opposite.... he handles the heat better than the cold!

Neither of us were born here, but we've both lived in Nevada for 15+ years. I grew up 15 minutes across the border in California and often went grocery shopping in Nevada (closest major city and grocery stores!) so we've both been familiar with the Nevada weather for most of our lives. I hate it! lol

It's been a few years that we've gotten a proper winter... lately, it's like it can't decide if it's supposed to be winter, spring or summer - during winter!

So I can't say you are missing much! Unless you mean southern Nevada.... I haven't really visited that area much so can't comment!

Must be antsy waiting for your new baby!

We get -40 degrees here sometimes (happens to be the same in Fahrenheit I think) but mostly it's just -20C (-4F) which by our standards isn't too bad. I've been to northern and southern Nevada, they're really hot. It's better than two feet of snow though!

I think it was southern Nevada where we lived. Logandale/Overton area. I don't remember much, because I was only there until I was 2 or 3, but we go back to see family from time to time. We also visit California, Utah, and pretty much every western state. My grandparents used to live in Anaheim/Las Angeles, so I've been to southern California a lot and really like it there.

My Mom doesn't like the cold temperatures either, but my Dad has the air conditioner on until the fall. He'll sometimes go out in a T-shirt and shorts in the winter, doesn't bother him much, lol.

Don't you live in the general vicinity of Terry in Edmonton? I prefer cold to heat, but that part of the world is a special kind of cold! Not sure I could manage for a season let alone many years!

I live around 4 hours from there, but we go there sometimes. :)

And btw, I've been to Quebec and it's the same temperatures as here in the winter, but very humid. This makes the cold feel so much colder. Imagine wet snowflakes that just roll off of you when you're walking, lol. So pretty there, but it's cold and I don't speak French worth crap, so I'll stick with the west. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad your new baby is home now! Don't be surprised if he regresses or changes in behavior! Hopefully no issues there!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Wow, you are off to a great start! Seems the breeder did a great job with socialization, and he's comfortable with you. Did you give him a name yet?

You're already several steps ahead of many new parronts with him. Building trust and bonding have already begun. Bet he starts the next day ready to explore. Looking forward to seeing him grow!!

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Ya, that's what I thought! He already likes me, so at least we don't have to get him used to me. His name is Phillip, btw. :)

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

No kidding about cold and humidity. Winter in Denver so much easier than managing in Chicago or most anywhere in the northeast part of the U.S.

Funny you mention your Dad wearing T-shirts in the winter. I was once in Fairbanks AK in December or January. Was surprised to see some guys around 1am outside a dive bar in T-shirts and tanktops!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Congratulations on getting your baby home! It sounds like a fabulous first day. Can’t wait to see pictures and here all about him!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
No kidding about cold and humidity. Winter in Denver so much easier than managing in Chicago or most anywhere in the northeast part of the U.S.

Funny you mention your Dad wearing T-shirts in the winter. I was once in Fairbanks AK in December or January. Was surprised to see some guys around 1am outside a dive bar in T-shirts and tanktops!

Humidity just sucks in general. We went to the south once and as soon as we got to Arkansas it felt like we were breathing soup. I don't know how people live down there, lol.

And that's funny. Pretty sure my Dad just plays it up most of the time. He did used to work with a bunch of Mexicans though and he'd be in his normal clothes in the winter and they were fully suited up in parkas and were thoroughly confused. XD

I couldn't live in Alaska. Too cold, too isolated and I like my internet!

Congratulations on getting your baby home! It sounds like a fabulous first day. Can’t wait to see pictures and here all about him!!

Ya, I'll post lots of pictures. ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts