I'll soon be a parront! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Phillip - Green Cheek Conure (RIP)
I got the 18 inch one, probably not ideal so I'll most likely upgrade later. I got the black one. :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It's very nice. I do like longer and wider. I got one of those 120 ones with no play stand is cheaper made and square, but is very large, I think 21 deep/wide, and 34 long and 54 high with stand mabe 34 high cage part. Might be will rust easier don't know yet but very roomie!!! When is the baby coming home!!?!?!?? Very cute pics!!

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
The breeder said he/she is on two hand feedings now so it should be 2-3 weeks. And I should know the gender by about that time too. :)

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
I got the DNA test results back and it's a boy! He's on 1 feeding now and will be weened completely by this weekend. Then they're just going to monitor the weight to see if he's eating and he'll finally come home! I'm so exited! :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Be extra careful that he doesn’t regress since they are force weaning him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I had a green cheek conure come in that exact cage... except for the seed guards, no nuts or bolts required to put it together! The side with the dishes was put on upside down.

I recently upgraded that cheekie's cage to a bigger flight cage. I'm not a fan of small cages and wouldn't even want to put a budgie in a cage that small... but that's me!

Agree with SilverSage. You might want to consider getting some "baby food" (could easily be cooked sweet potatoes, toss in a little bit banana or maybe steamed carrots) as comfort feedings if needed. If he does regress, you may actually need hand feeding formula...

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Thanks for the advice guys. They're going to monitor his weight for a week, but I didn't really think of the possibility of him regressing. So what should I do if he does regress? I'll definitely look up the signs and watch very closely.

I had a green cheek conure come in that exact cage... except for the seed guards, no nuts or bolts required to put it together! The side with the dishes was put on upside down.

I recently upgraded that cheekie's cage to a bigger flight cage. I'm not a fan of small cages and wouldn't even want to put a budgie in a cage that small... but that's me!

I did end up taking the seed guards off because it's really wide with them on. It'll be more messy I guess but what parrot owner doesn't deal with mess? :)

I had my little brother help me with assembly and we actually accidentally installed the dish side upside down. We switched it, but maybe it's a common mistake? I also put the play top in backwards, but it was a pain to get it on so I'll leave it.

I'll probably upgrade to a bigger one sometime in the future. From the pictures it looked bigger, so I'll probably by a bigger one sometime.

Exciting times!

Yep! :)

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I think the cage is a little too small... Kermit is in a 32x23 dometop. Longer and wider are far better than taller in my opinion. I saw that exact Prevue cage at a pet store, and it looked really small to me. Personally, I wouldn’t put a GCC in that size cage. A 24x22 is the minimum I would ever consider for a green cheek. They are very active birds and need a lot of space! I used to have Kermit in a 24x22 and I can see how much happier he is in a larger cage - I would never even think of putting him in an 18x18. I would upgrade to the 30x22 (the second largest size offered) if I were you.

Your baby is adorable by the way! :)

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
I think the cage is a little too small... Kermit is in a 32x23 dometop. Longer and wider are far better than taller in my opinion. I saw that exact Prevue cage at a pet store, and it looked really small to me. Personally, I wouldn’t put a GCC in that size cage. A 24x22 is the minimum I would ever consider for a green cheek. They are very active birds and need a lot of space! I used to have Kermit in a 24x22 and I can see how much happier he is in a larger cage - I would never even think of putting him in an 18x18. I would upgrade to the 30x22 (the second largest size offered) if I were you.

Your baby is adorable by the way! :)

Ya, it looks really small to me too. I'll upgrade soon I think. And yes, he is adorable! :)

Coming down the home stretch, you must be really anxious!!

Yep!!! :)

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
He's coming tomorrow! Yay!!!

There is a potential problem though. I'll be moving to the States maybe a year from now, and I'd do everything in my power to take him with me. I'd be filling out a CITES permit form, and in it you're asked to have paper work from the breeder. I could get this, but it also requires that he have a microchip or leg band. I contacted the breeder and she told me that they didn't band him. What should I do?

I contacted US Fish and Wildlife to see exactly which forms I should fill out, hopefully I get a reply soon.

Here's the spot in the form I was looking at, what would "identifying markings" mean in this case?
MsrMwVM.png

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Find an avian vet that will chip him. Some vets wont because green cheeks are such small birds, but there are chips small enough that would work with a green cheek.

Identifying markings - what makes your bird unique, in appearance, from other birds? Does your bird have a unique feather that other birds don't? Maybe a missing nail? A weird beak that curves?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

A year gives you plenty of time to arrange the details. From what other members have experienced, make sure the paperwork is completed flawlessly and have available whatever secondary documents are "recommended." Seems a modern small chip would be best?

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Ok, thanks. The breeder suggested that I could have a vet put an open band on him, but I heard those are dangerous (get stuck on the bars or something). A chip would seem like the best option. I can get the other stuff I'd need for the form so I'm not worried other than that. :)

OP
NightEule5

NightEule5

Apr 4, 2017
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
The breeder didn't end up being able to get to the airport today, there was a blizzard. A blizzard in October? The thought that winter is coming so early is depressing, I shouldn't be living in Canada lol.

Anyway, he'll be coming tomorrow if the weather is better. So I'll have to wait again. :/

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I had a conure shipped to me.... she was supposed to be in transit for about 12 hours.... it ended up being about 24 instead! She arrived safely and fine, despite me, the person who shipped her and some other people freaking out!

It's great that the breeder is doing what they can to ensure the little one arrives safely! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Disappointing, an October blizzard is most unwelcome! Definitely a change of seasons; Terry experienced snow in Edmonton a few days ago. Thankfully Canadians are well experienced and manage far better than many of us to the south!

Hope your baby arrives tomorrow!

Most Reactions

Latest posts