Impacted Crop

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
We waited an hour before Ju was finally seen by Morris. Anyways, he massaged his crop and it wasn't as full as it should've been due to vomiting. Morris said Ju's crop issues are likely dietary and that I should cut out all grains and sweet foods so that the pH in his crop can get back to normal and whatnot.

I'd changed their diet a couple of months ago, so it makes sense that this might be the problem.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Did he suggest what to feed in lieu of grains? Are you allowed to give any seeds?

I hope this makes a positive difference. I know diet changes helped little Beau so much. Hoping the same for Ju.

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
He said to feed low-carb and -sugar veggies, along with pellets. He also said to reduce how much seed they have because of the carbs, but my guys only have a small amount of seed in their diet, so I'll still give it to them while really pushing the pellets and veggies. Oh, I forgot to mention that he didn't charge us for the appointment.

I've noticed that the budgies haved seemed kind of sluggish, so hopefully the diet change helps.

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Fudge, I think it might be tainted spray millet! I started giving them the organic spray millet that I'd ordered online I think on the weekend, a day or two before the Monday when Ju started getting sick. They started acting a bit funny (or maybe I imagined it) after I gave them some tonight. I'm going to avoid giving them any for a week, and see what happens. If it is the millet, I'm going to have to contact the store.

OP
Teddscau

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Taking Ju to the vet today. I'm paranoid that he might have AGY. He started vomiting badly Monday night. Yesterday morning, there was vomit EVERYWHERE. I disinfected a bunch of stuff, but he's still sick, so everything is germy again.

I'm having a fecal wet mount done, and if that doesn't show AGY, I'm doing an x-ray, gram stain, and maybe more tests. He was even coughing up foam at one point, and one of his poops was bright green. -_- If it is AGY, I'm treating the whole aviary. And disinfecting it every day. I hope there's just some sort of impaction or something simple like that. Not that there's anything good about an impaction or candida or something like that, but it's better than AGY.

Last edited:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Hang in there. I'm hoping the best for your flock.

Most Reactions

Latest posts