Important question: cigarette smoke and my tiels....

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I'm going to call some companies who specialize in that service to meet me at that condo and wrote me an estimate as it is the SELLER who should pay for that and/or reduce price accordingly...

Perhaps with some actual quotations from companies to decorate and fix the ducting etc the seller may actually realise how much it will take to make into a habitable space again. Quotes on paper may be taken more seriously. Choice can be given ie seller gets the work done or reduce the price and you get it done? :)[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm hoping... I read on forum that this family had to pay $12,000 dollars to decontaminate a 2400 SQ Ft house from cigarettes and that on average it's usually about $10,000. It's VERY insanely expensive!! :eek: They used a company called SERVPRO which also services FL. I just have to make sure they give FREE estimates hopefully! I plan to get at last 2 estimates from two different companies who specialize in this.

I NEVER in my wildest dreams would have never imagined it's this DIFFICULT to clean things up... it really is a serious chemical contamination! 4,000 chemical many of them highly carcinogenic. It's dangerous stuff!

I learned you cannot clean the ducts... they have to be replaced. The cigarette chemical is very oil/sticky and it has coated the ducts.

Condo needs a new AC unit anyway it's so old... condo built in 1988 and it's original AC unit in super bad shape.

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I think I can kiss this condo GOODBYE.

The owner was DUMB enough to try to paint the walls to cover up the smell with using a special type of PRIMER first that encapsulates the chemcials from the cigarettes. I just contacted 2 companies who specialize in cleaning up these contaminations from smokers and it says on their website the following:

1. First, whatever you do DON’T PAINT!!
Painting only seals in the smoke odor and guarantee it will to rear its ugly head in the future.

If you’re an investor, this could compromise your home warranty you’re offering.
Latex paint forms a plastic-like film on walls. It might look okay. And the property might smell okay for a little while.

But the problem with painting over cigarette smoke before a thorough cleaning is that it seals the odor into the walls.

After that, as the property ventilates or “breathes,” the pores of the paint open and allow the cigarette smoke smell to come back.

So, after the walls are painted, there’s very little that can be done to remove the smoke smell unless you sand the paint off the walls.

I desperately need to move ASAP but this condo is not looking good at all. The smoke is not only on the walls but INSIDE the walls!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow! I was going to highly endorse your idea of meeting with restoration companies at the condo for an estimate, but the prior post seems to scotch the deal.

Seems you would have a time bomb unhealthy for you and your tiels.

Hopefully something equally attractive but untainted comes your way.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Wow! I was going to highly endorse your idea of meeting with restoration companies at the condo for an estimate, but the prior post seems to scotch the deal.

Seems you would have a time bomb unhealthy for you and your tiels.

Hopefully something equally attractive but untainted comes your way.

Yes, this is VERY unfortunate as that condo would have been PERFECT and it's super rare a condo like that pops up... being that it's an end unit with panoramic water view.

The realty is that the paint on the walls in entire condo would have to be sanded down (this is at least a few thousand dollars extra) on top of the several thousands of dollars it costs to remove the chemical contamination.

I'm meeting with PuroClean company tomorrow morning at the condo to get an estimate... but I highly doubt the seller is going to adjust his sale price appropriately or FAIRLY... this seller will REFUSE to do that the realtor said and will just rent out the condo to another smoker in that case.... because NOBODY is going to buy that condo... unless they are a smoker themselves.

Condo in current condition is a very serious health hazard...but smokers don't care about that of course. :mad:

... what's even more upsetting is that HOA allows this type of serious damage to be done to a property.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

What a shame. If you really want it, get written estimates and try to convince the owner via realtor.

Good point about the HOA. AFAIK, the "walls" of a condo are owned by the association while the inner contents are "owned" by the deed holder.

I guess if you have the spare time it may be worth to attempt all above. Bummer it is such a prized location. :(

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
What a shame. If you really want it, get written estimates and try to convince the owner via realtor.

Good point about the HOA. AFAIK, the "walls" of a condo are owned by the association while the inner contents are "owned" by the deed holder.

I guess if you have the spare time it may be worth to attempt all above. Bummer it is such a prized location. :(

There has been a random interesting twist of events! I just put in an aggressive offer on another condo which is a foreclosure condo that I just found out about today! There is a very nice lady who works in HOA for those condos... and she told me about it, go figure! It's almost right next to the other contaminated condo. This condo does not have those spectacular panoramic water views (you still see a little lake if you look to the left and a tiny bit of lake if you look far to the right though) and at least it has NO chemical contamination AND it's an end unit.

I'm REALLY hoping I manage to get this condo... I will know by this friday if my offer was accepted or not. It's also a gut job... which is what I was looking for (fixer upper).... I will be very happy if I can get this condo! :D

... but just incase I'm still getting the free estimate tomorrow morning on the other condo in regards to the chemical cleanup...

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Well, maybe this one is meant to be! Let us know how it turns out!!

Sure thing :) ... I will make sure to post pictures. This condo needs at least $30,000 thousand worth of renovations (it's a gut job just like the other smoke contaminated condo is)... I think I placed offer in too high by about $9,000... I basically offered the price the banks wants which was stupid I know but worried what if there are other bidders (realtor told me a LOT of people do all cash offers in that community... don't know if that is really true or not) . It's a foreclosure property and the investor just backed out after he realized he is not allowed to rent out the unit condo for at least 2 yrs after buying it.

Oh well... my mother says I did not overpay... I just HOPE I get this condo!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Good luck! So hard to strike a balance between getting the best possible deal and not losing out for a few $$$$.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Good luck! So hard to strike a balance between getting the best possible deal and not losing out for a few $$$$.

Yeah tell me about it! :( :eek:

Turns out there are multiple bidders on this foreclosure condo (which is the clean condo with NO smoke issues) so I'm not sure what's going to happen...

I haven't completely given up the other smoke contaminated condo yet though as I got quote by PuroClean (which is company who specializes in cleaning up such contaminants) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... I mean it is bad (few thousand dollars) but I was expecting it to be in the $8,000 range but it's not even close to that. Seller of that condo MUST lower price... he should be the one paying for it... not the buyer. It is HIS mess caused by HIM and it is a very dangerous health hazard.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I have officially scratched the smoke contaminated condo OFF the list for good! Upon doing further research I now understand more than ever how incredibly dangerous that condo it. It is full of third hand smoke. NONE of the companies who specialize in cleaning this up will guarantee they can resolve the problem because it's not like a fire where they know the SOURCE of the smoke they said. When it come to cigarette contamination the entire house... every inch and orifice is infected... so they cannot and will not offer any guarantees problem will be resolved.

It has penetrated deep within the walls, wall studs, drywall, ceiling, attic... everything... it's crazy!

I and my tiels would be exposed to THIRD hand smoke which is even more dangerous than second hand smoke because with third hand smoke you are completely immersed in it every second you are at home. WATCH VIDEO:

[ame="https://youtu.be/G2vlk_b6UyE"]Clearing the Air of Thirdhand Smoke - UCTV Prime Cuts - YouTube[/ame]

Read link: Thirdhand Smoke - no-smoke.org

Upon further research I now also learned the special type of primer that must be used before painting the walls is only a TEMPORARY “band aid”… the smoke smell always eventually comes back.

A big NO THANKS to that condo.

Numerous surveys say that smoking in your home lowers value by at least 29%

... and on average smokers could lose over $64,000 off their sale.

When I stand OUTSIDE that condo's front door even BEFORE I open front door to go in... it smells like an ash tray... it's full of poisonous gases, chemicals and metals. Yuck.

It's huge shame this condo has been RUINED. It had AMAZING panoramic water views! :( No worries.... another smoker will get it. Good riddens.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Turns out there are multiple bidders on this foreclosure condo (which is the clean condo with NO smoke issues) so I'm not sure what's going to happen...

I haven't completely given up the other smoke contaminated condo yet though as I got quote by PuroClean (which is company who specializes in cleaning up such contaminants) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be... I mean it is bad (few thousand dollars) but I was expecting it to be in the $8,000 range but it's not even close to that. Seller of that condo MUST lower price... he should be the one paying for it... not the buyer. It is HIS mess caused by HIM and it is a very dangerous health hazard.

Well let me ask you this... probably naĂŻve as I've never owned a condo. My understanding is you never own the walls of a condo but rather the space inside. If so, would the condo association bear any responsibility for rehabilitating a unit in such poor condition? Do any of the CC&Rs dictate an owner's responsibility to maintain a healthful condition. Kind of a long shot, but makes me wonder if the HOA might pressure the current owner. OTOH, they may not care as long as the hazards don't leak into other units and all bills are paid!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Well let me ask you this... probably naĂŻve as I've never owned a condo. My understanding is you never own the walls of a condo but rather the space inside. If so, would the condo association bear any responsibility for rehabilitating a unit in such poor condition? Do any of the CC&Rs dictate an owner's responsibility to maintain a healthful condition. Kind of a long shot, but makes me wonder if the HOA might pressure the current owner. OTOH, they may not care as long as the hazards don't leak into other units and all bills are paid!

That is a really good point! I've been emailing the HOA lady back and forth. She is SUPER nice and has been very helpful. I sent her email about that condo being a big health hazard... I'll see what she says further about it.

It's crazy how cigarettes can do this much damage. Who knew! I knew about second hand smoke of course... but this 3rd hand smoke is far more problematic since the entire inside of my home would be off gassing it 24/7 :eek:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

That was a fascinating video! I shudder to think of the second-hand smoke I was exposed to by my dad and step-mother - both 2-pack a day smokers. Thankfully I lived most of the time with my mom and visited during the summer and assorted school-breaks.

It does seem that ideal condo will go to a happy smoker, eager to soak up some free poison!! :eek:

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
That was a fascinating video! I shudder to think of the second-hand smoke I was exposed to by my dad and step-mother - both 2-pack a day smokers. Thankfully I lived most of the time with my mom and visited during the summer and assorted school-breaks.

It does seem that ideal condo will go to a happy smoker, eager to soak up some free poison!! :eek:

Yup exactly :) ... my realtor says the main seller is not willing to adjust price to a FAIR one is because he's not motivated to sell... realtor says unit will just sit for many months it won't sell at price seller insists to leave it at... seller will just rent it out to another smoker instead of selling I was told.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Well, guess it is time to move on from that condo. Sad thing is the smokers probably spend all their time inside, ignoring the water views!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Well, guess it is time to move on from that condo. Sad thing is the smokers probably spend all their time inside, ignoring the water views!

I have good news... the bank accepted my offer on the foreclosure condo :D
This condo is not the smoke contaminated one but unfortunately it does not have that gorgeous panoramic water view like the smoke condo. That's ok though as I wasn't looking for my dream home anyway. Bank accepted my offer but it's sill not under contract... it should be soon though and then it will go under inspection and if all is good I will be moving soon! :)

'Nut is Rascal are going to love the screened in balcony. :cool:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

This condo is not the smoke contaminated one but unfortunately it does not have that gorgeous panoramic water view like the smoke condo. That's ok though as I wasn't looking for my dream home anyway. Bank accepted my offer but it's sill not under contract... it should be soon though and then it will go under inspection and if all is good I will be moving soon! :)

Congratulations, Juliet!! Hope this works well for you. Will it require extensive renovation or is it in decent shape?

Sorry about the lack of views, but the trade-offs with the smoker jungle were just too severe.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Congratulations, Juliet!! Hope this works well for you. Will it require extensive renovation or is it in decent shape?

Sorry about the lack of views, but the trade-offs with the smoker jungle were just too severe.

Thanks! Yes I'm very happy I'm going to be able to get this condo! It's a massive gut job... literally every singly inch of the condo must be gutted. I'm going to have the popcorn ceiling scraped off first and repaint entire house. I'll make sure to give it an entire week to air out before I move in with my tiels... then kitchen is being gutted and renovated and the floors. The 2 bathrooms are going to be renovated later on when I can afford it.

I will post pictures of before/after when I start the renovation. I might even try to build 'Nut an aviary as it would be way cheaper. Balcony is screened in so I don't have to worry about escapees. I will post pics once I have moved in... this will happen in about 2 or 3 weeks! :D

... but I hope to move back to SoCal sometime in the future!... this will be my home until I get my life together in order to be able to do that! :(

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Looking forward to the pics!! At least you will have some input regarding the finished product, rather than moving into a marginal turn-key condo painted to somebody else's taste.

Most Reactions

Latest posts