Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Salsa usually only screams when he's had enough of Maynard's screaming, and after Maynard ignores several of his warning statements that he's "too loud!"

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I don't know if there is any truth to this or not, but a long time Macaw breeder once told me that a Macaw is as loud as its home. :confused:

I think that might be the case for all parrots... My daughter was over the other day, and couldn't believe how quiet my house was... with 8 conures, 3 cockatiels, an electus, an alexandrine and a budgie... The birds were all in their cages (she doesn't like birds)

Teaching a parrot to entertain himself is also good advice...

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Sherry, Macaws are normally pretty quiet unless the owner has a house full of birds and all compete to be heard, this is when the noice levels get out of hand.
I only have 2 birds, Male GW Macaw and male SI Eclectus. Both are very quiet. I live in a Condo and my neighbors hardly ever hear them, most do not know I even have birds.
I walk with my boys outside and this is the only reason they know I have birds.
If a Macaw or any bird screams non stop, this is time for a vet check, it is not normal for any birds to scream non stop or very offen everyday.
Something triggers a bird to scream. Some are vocal in the morning right before feedings and right after day break. This is normal.

Just a quick tip. Both my boys were taught a very young age that if they want my attn, they must whisper. When they do, I come over to their cage, reward them. This stops the screaming if I leave the room for any reason. Best of luck Joe

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Thanks joe. The reason I asked this question is I was on another forum and the people there told me that screaming a lot was part of macaw ownership. I think one person stated that the only quite macaw was a dead or stuffed one. Don't get me wrong I have done a LOT of research and found that this is usually not the case but some screaming is to be expected as this is part of there nature, but what do I know. My knowledge base is reading, the vet, this forum and my 1 month of having Nemo. Your advise as to having them whisper to get attention is interesting. Thanks.

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
I will never forget the noise of the 10 blue and golds my grandmother had when she lived in hawaii.......but it won't stop me from getting one in the future :) I felt bad for the neighbors....lol.

I've ended up with my aunts amazon and cag.....so I think it's only fitting to get my REAL first large parrot that "I" buy is a b&g. Although when I was at the zoo and sitting near the macaws a year ago, I told my bf to remind me of their noise and to never let me get one. *shrugs*

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Yesterday Niko sure let me know what he is capable of - with his voice. :eek: It was a particularly gloomy, rainy day - grey in grey outside, and a bit windy.

As soon as I put him on his Java tree in the morning, he climbed all the way to the highest branch, looking intensily out the window. Each time there was a little wind gust he let out deafening screams. :eek: The first time he did it, he not only scared the panties off of me, but both my Amazons went flying off into different directions.

He did the same thing at lunch time, but luckily as soon as it got dark, and he couldn't see anything "move" outside anymore, he completely calmed down.

Let's just say that yesterday was a VERY loud day. :54:

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Oh dear!! My amazon would probably have loved the noise competition! I dread sundown T_T

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh dear!! My amazon would probably have loved the noise competition! I dread sundown T_T

No kidding? My Amazons NEVER ever scream, I swear! When Niko lets out a hurl that they don't expect, they both completely freak out. LOL.

Casey

May 26, 2012
NJ
Parrots
GCC: Pretty Bird h.1/10/12 & CAG: Mj h. 2/18/12 & Scarlet Macaw: Scarlet h. 7/12/12
We have a gofins 2 that screams occasionally I'm really hoping that she does not teach our baby scarlet to scream. The 2 is weaning off formula and sunflowers (don't ask, bad breeder, but sweet bird) therefore screams at times.

Scarlet is adjusting well and is a real sweetheart so far. She luvs to sit on my lap in the evening while I watch TV and get her tickle's she has even let me roll her on her back and we play footsie. She refuses to poop on me even though I always sit with a towel under her. The first time she had to go she got up jumped to the floor, did her thing then looked up at me to pick her up. Now I know when she has to go and I step her up and put a tissue under her and she goes.

Wow sorry, went way off topic

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Sherry, I know of Parrots who scream non stop and how the owners stand this is way beyond me.
Yes, I agree that macaws do like to be vocal in the morning and eve but not to the point where they shake the fillings in one's teeth.
Both my boys become excited in the morning when they see me making their breakfast or add almonds to their bowls. But once the bowls are in the cage, I do not hear a peep out of them until the early eve right before bedtime.
While I do have them out of their cages for most of the day, they love to play on the gyms and Java trees with their toys and this keeps them entertained.
The funny thing is to hear them whisper for my attn if they become bored and want to be held, the whisper (Daddy) (Come Here) and my personal favorite (Oh daddy, come here). how could I resist, so they always seem to get their way. Think they know how to push my bottons or what?
you have to whisper to Nema and I hope she whispers back, it's really funny. Best of luck Joe

OP
Sherry

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Shhhh, I've already started with Nema. My daughter saw (heard) me whispering to her today and just laughed and laughed. She thinks I'm crazy. Thanks for the advise Joe I'm gonna give it a try.

Most Reactions