Introducing Bath time?

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
Red/Rainbow Lory Hybrid named Rosy, Green Cheek Conure, Named Zuko, as well as a Ducorps Cockatoo named Coco.
Hello! I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to introduce bathing to my Ducorps Cockatoo? I have tried spray bottles but it scares the daylights out of him! and When I try to show him the sink and bath tub he refuses to leave my shoulder, any ideas?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
When you used the spray bottle were you squirting directly at him? Or misting above and letting the water fall on him?

OP
Y

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
Red/Rainbow Lory Hybrid named Rosy, Green Cheek Conure, Named Zuko, as well as a Ducorps Cockatoo named Coco.
When you used the spray bottle were you squirting directly at him? Or misting above and letting the water fall on him?

Misting above him, of course. He flew away like the mist was going to kill him, I've read that birds basically need to bathe, and I don't want to not be able to bathe him, especially if he does like something and wont show me that he does e.e

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
A couple of ways I got my amazon to bathe, he loves the garden hose outside oin a nice day.

Also on not nice days I take him in the bathroom when I shower, he doesn't get in the shower yet but with the shower running I can mist him, I think it's the sound of the running water that he loves. Some birds want to bathe when you run a vacuum cleaner could be the noise or the vibration.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Hmmm.... Maybe put a shallow dish of water with some favorite foot toys in it? See if you can convince him that water time is fun.

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
Our Ducorps is the same, hates showers (unless it's raining and he's in the aviary). He likes baths (but doesn't get all that wet), and the sound of the hoover pretty much always makes him want to have a bath in his water bowl if he's in his cage. Might be worth trying? :)

OP
Y

Yuutachi

Aug 27, 2013
New England
Parrots
Our Ducorps is the same, hates showers (unless it's raining and he's in the aviary). He likes baths (but doesn't get all that wet), and the sound of the hoover pretty much always makes him want to have a bath in his water bowl if he's in his cage. Might be worth trying? :)

Perfect! Thank you :) We recently adopted him, he was basically cage-bound for the first year of his life, and is very untrusting of having your hand by his feet but will climb onto your arm; I'd like to be able to have him step up since he hasn't reached maturity so if he ever decides to have a mood swing I can mov him, but he isn't going for ir

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I take mine in the shower with me. They prefer that.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
If you take him in the shower with you, you might want to wear a t shirt for the first time or two. So that he has something to grip, or he may slip off your wet shoulder. That will scare him and then, you'll have trouble getting him back in. If you use a shower perch, put it out of the direct spray, and introduce him to it slowly. And let him see you under the shower first.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
What Bill says is a good idea to try to wear a t-shirt while in the shower with him. But I'm also concerned when you mentioned he's on your shoulders??? That's something you have to be real careful with allowing any parrot on your shoulders, especially a new comer and a Cockatoo.

Most Reactions