Introduction

Gracepol_Wings

Oct 4, 2017
Hi I have just joined this forum today; however, not sure if many people are active anymore.

My name is Jess and I have a Conure called ‘Sweetie’. I bought it/he/she about a year and a half ago from a bird fodder store. He was a young baby who was hand raised from the shop owners.
It is totally devoted to me, Sweetie has always known I am his owner.(I will call Sweetie a male)

For about 4 months just gone I moved out of my parents home, and left him there. My lovely mother was happy to feed him and talk to him while I was waiting for the right time to bring him to my new rental.

Ever since he was a young baby he only ever ate seed, I tried the pellets but wasn’t interested. I offered so many fresh home grown vegetables and fruit but he did not want a bar of it. Since, I have been able to get him to eat dried cranberries, fresh mango (when I am eating it in front of him) and sometimes banana and berries. However I have noticed he is literally obsessed with me. His cage is outside, in my alfresco, just outside my back glass door and windows. He sits up in the corner of the cage peering inside the lounge room to find me. He never goes to the back of the cage or even really sits on his other branches. Only at the front where he can see me. I have always put fresh tree branches, grass, swinging toys, and thistle in his cage. He is not interested, I like bottle brush because they have those little seed things that birds can chew off.

He has a bowl of seed, water and a mixture of fresh fruit, vegetables and seeds (sunflower- skinned ones which I eat, pepita seeds, almonds chopped up, dried cranberries, shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, fresh strawberries, banana) I change these every day and rotate them around, I also don’t give him much because it goes in the bin lol.

He has developed more behaviour as he has gotten older, head bobbing, rocking from side to side, fanning out his feathers and strutting on a branch, hopping/jumping to music and recently learnt how to use his feet to hold food LOL
IMG_0238.jpg

Here he is helping me study a few days ago. I bring him inside in the morning for about 40 minutes while I eat breakfast and get ready for Uni. I also bring him in during the day if I am home and in the evening before it’s dark. He is the only bird, however, my neighbour hood is full of pigeons, lorikeets, sulfer crested cockatoos and other wild birds. He enjoys screaming in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
sounds like a delightful little bird

Although bring the cage inside permanently. sudden changes in temperature can be fatal to them

OP
G

Gracepol_Wings

Oct 4, 2017
sounds like a delightful little bird

Although bring the cage inside permanently. sudden changes in temperature can be fatal to them

He has always been an outside bird. However his cage has protection around it to prevent drafts and winds. Luckily we have had good weather.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I see. I'm a bit wary of it and also all my pets have been inside animals for my whole life so the concept of an outside pet is strange to me haha

also being in a notoriously wet and mild country being outside is a bit cruel to a bird

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family! It's a pleasure to meet you and Sweetie, and we're looking forward to hearing more about you both. And we are a community that LOVES bird pics, so feel free to post away.

OP
G

Gracepol_Wings

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks! I have spent a couple of hours on this forum and already learnt a lot!
Since, found out that Sweetie is a female, it is currently spring and showing sexual behaviour. Thank goodness I have discovered how to prevent these occurrences [emoji23]
I also breed and show pedigree dogs. Trust me, I totally understand how breeding is expensive and time consuming. Luckily I only have two dogs at home. Maybe one day when I have an aviary, and time I will find a passion to breed birds too. Until then, I will read and watch these forums of dedicated bird lovers.IMG_0250.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Welcome to the community, it's definitely an active one! You have a precious little girl!

Most Reactions

Latest posts