Is my bird fat? Help me determine please.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hopefully the red poop is due to eating beets. I remember many years ago when our then purple crowned lorikeet called Sludge (that’s him in my avatar picture) pooped bright pink after eating strawberries - freaked me right out until I worked out what was going on!

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Yep, red food stains the poo and gives us all a heart attack. Heads-up, pomegranates do a dark almost black poo (reddish/purple), purple carrot also has a bit of a purple tinge to it, goji berries have a bright red stain, fig does this nasty brown splat. Oh, and sometimes their food stands the sides of their beak where there's skin (I gave red capsicum and butternut squash, and I thought his skin was raw).

Do be careful with the pineapple - our guy found it too acidic and gave him really watery poops (like diarrhoea). I almost hauled him to the vet, but waited out for his next 2 meals to cycle it out of his system.

When he's through this bout, do keep up with his syringe training. About once a week or so, we offer him coconut water or probiotics (sweet-tasting) via syringe. He's built up a strong positive association with it, so he typically only rejects it when he's really sick to the point of hospitalisation.

Did the CAV say what was wrong or what the 2 shots were for?

OP
shinyuankuo

shinyuankuo

May 9, 2019
State College, PA
Parrots
Winston 屁撚, the Eclectus. 屁撚 (pi-nian) came from Pinion (Psalms 64, meaning flight feather, typifying God's soaring power.)
Winston's poo returned to normal today. His sneeze is still there but improved.

I need to correct myself. I realized that the vet is not CAV, but she's avian vet (part of AAV). Well, good enough for me. I think you'd all agree that driving 6 hours to a CAV does not work well when you are already in a situation.

We don't know what exactly is going on because his testing is not out. The vet started him on antibiotics, which are the injections and the oral med. My husband was able to give him med this morning.

Winston, for some reasons, is PISSED tonight when I got home. I guess I'm gonna have to leave him alone for now.

Most Reactions