Is my Illiger's Macaw Plucking

kunala6

Dec 19, 2016
Hi

I adopted this macaw a few months ago. He is 17.I was told he was caged with a female for his whole life and she bit off his toes. They were separated about a year ago, the SPCA told me he did much better alone. I have a lot of toys in his cage for him and usually someone is around during the day, so he should be entertained. I don't see any feather at the bottom of the cage so I was thinking he may not know how to groom him self or molting. I have attached a few pictures.

Thank You

Attachments

• 20170104_094213.jpg
    20170104_094213.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 365

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Parrot Forums! Thank-you, for taking on a rehomed MAC!

SPCA are generally not well known for their understanding of Parrots. But a little information is better than none.

In the few months that you have owned your MAC have you taking him your Avian Vet for a 'New' Parrot Examination? Yes, I know that SPCA stated that their Vet has examined the Parrot, but frankly that does not count, since the Vet (although good) is not an Avian Vet. Since it is likely that you have not had your MAC into see an Avian Vet, please do so ASAP.

The Foot: I see growth nobs or deformation on the injured foot and that needs to be examined in detail to assure that there has not been complications beyond the damage done by his cage friend.

Feather Damage: Is this new since arrival in your home 'or' did he have this feather damage when you brought him home?

Did SPCA stated the your MAC was DNA sex verified or are they just passing along verbal knowledge provided by the prior owner(s)? Unless your MAC has been DNA sex verified, please include this as part of upcoming Avian Vet's examination.

I noted that your MAC has a leg band. If you are located in North America or Europe and plan to provide you MAC with a forever home. I would strongly recommend that you have your Parrot Micro Chipped and at that time have the leg band removed. There are two reasons for this action. The first is that the Micro Chip provides clear proof that this is your MAC (Leg Bands can be removed and replaced) and the second is Leg Bands present a likelihood of becoming caught in any number of things that could result in damage to your MAC's good foot!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Lucky bird, FINALLY rescued...
Thank you, and thanks for sharing.
And welcome!

OP
K

kunala6

Dec 19, 2016
Hi Sailboat

I have taken him to an avian vet and they did a stool sample on him that can back clean and negative for any disease so that way he is good, the SPCA did the same and told me the same when I got him. My Vet told me he is under weight and has put on about 7 gram since i had him. My vet also checked his foot, she didn't see anything that was of concern, he also has no problem with it that I noticed while walking around and stuff. I am not sure if he was DNA tested, my understanding was that he was, but I will have to get that next time I take him to the vet. I have also taken him a couple times to Bird Paradise in NJ, where they checked him out and says he is in good shape maybe a little under weight.
The feather damage is something a noticed a week or two ago, and after doing some research he maybe over preening if possible. I spray him with water every other day. His colors have definitely become brighter and he looks cleaner.
I have been considering micro chipping him and removing the band. This is something I will be talking to my vet about.
I don't really think he is plucking but if it is leads to that I want to catch it before it get worse. I hope this helps.

Thank You
Kunal Patel

Most Reactions

Latest posts