Is the bird age correct

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
My question to all you expert here. Can breeder lie about bird age?
I bought my beautiful sun conure 2 weeks ago. Breeder told me the bird age with documents that bird was born on Feb 10,2012.

But when I look here or online pictures for similar age and birds, sun conure have more green compare to mine. So I asked my breeder about it and she told me that her sub couure gets more yellower earlier than others.

Can breeder lie about the age? Is is possible that my bird is older in age?
I never had sun conure..
I am attaching few pictures.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 334
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 463
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 265

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
All depends if you go to a breeder who has a good reputation you will get the correct age of the bird aswell as the right documentation if you go to a breeder who has no good rep what so ever chances are your going to get punked the guy you got your conure from does he have a good track record or don't you know much about him?

OP
J

johnmat

Aug 29, 2012
she has good reputation, she even has her own website. I don't know if i post the link here or not...

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
it is possible that her suns may have more yellow. not that i'm a huge expert on it but i have seen young suns that were way more yellow than mine was at that age.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey and welcome to the forum. i don't know much about suns, your looks to me like it could be 7 months old. Try posting in the conure section and maybe get better opinions.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Well, my bird breeder breeds suns. One baby from a clutch looked so yellow, the rest looke like average 4 mo. Old suns. Your baby could just be an odd one out. :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Could it be a Jenday? Sunday? i'm no conure expert.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I don't know the general age that conures start to molt, but I know in the small species, they can start molting at the age of 4-6 months old, some as late as 12 months... so I'm thinking it may be possible that your sun molted into the adult colors prior to bringing him/her home.

There's no real definite way of knowing a birds age unless someone has kept track of when the bird was born and/or the bird has a leg band... however, leg bands may be incorrect as well, depending on if a breeder uses new bands or old bands, and the information on the bands.

I don't think it matters too much as long as you love him/her and you are willing to work with him/her!

The perches however don't look ideal. Any way you could toss out the plastic and dowel perch to be replaced with natural perches and rope perches? Maybe even a platform perch or two? And what about some fun and enriching toys?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I would say your baby is of the Pied variety & yes they tend to be a very yellow bird from very young. They will have a molt at 5 months where they replace their baby feathers around their face & head then go onto a rather heavy molt at 12 months & replace tail & flight feathers.

The pic below is only 8 weeks old

BabySun007.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts