is the driftwood from my fish tank safe for my birds?

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I bought this drift wood piece for my fish tank about a month ago. It's really meant for reptiles.

after it dries is it safe for my birds, since it's been in the tank, with bacteria, poop etc....

would it be a good idea to wash/scrub it thoroughly first?? or is it safe to just give it to them....what do you think?

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Not sure what others think about driftwood, but I have a worry about using driftwood for the birds because not knowing what its been exposed to for however long its been in water... and one would presume saltwater?

That is entirely my opinion, not based on experience or anything else, but I would not want anybody chewing on the wood even after its been cleaned. Its more what has been saturated and become part of the composition of the wood itself that would worry me.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I have to agree that I wouldn't chance it. If this is out of a fresh water tank which I am thinking it is since you don't put driftwood in saltwater has the tank ever been treated for ick or any other chemicals/medications used?

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
this is why I ask :)...I never thought about chemicals in the tank, oi....
and really didn't give much thought to saturation of anything else....I'm so glad I asked!

maybe I can put it in my canary aviary, they don't chew anything.....do you think that would be ok, or not chance it?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I am not sure about the canaries, it would most likely be fine since they don't chew wood at all. If you decide to I would just scrub it well with a bleach solution then rinse very well and let it air dry in the sun before putting it in the aviary. If it was mine I would use it outside with a type of plant that would vine around it. I think it would make a great garden accent.:)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
that's a great idea, I wish I could, but there is only one problem..... my dogs would think it's a new chew toy for them:rolleyes:

I wonder if I could sand it?, you know, get the surface off, that might be a bit safer, then I could scrub it like you suggested.

I guess the other option is to put vet wrap around it:D

Most Reactions

Latest posts