Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Love all the pics Dani :). All the hard work will be well worth it. Almost there!

Is Ranger and your parents' dog related? They look like littermates :).

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
They are not as far as we know, but Thor (my parents dog) looks exactly like a Black Mouth Cur. Ranger is half BMC, half Herman Shepherd, but BMCs are literally unheard of in my parents area. Thor was a shelter dog, dumped because he is apparently a chicken killer. We were told lab GSD mix but I really doubt it. He also has black spots on his tongue like a chow chow. He is a barrel
Of mystery! He is a great dog though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
4df79dfc6e3f3c7270f7a2954c7db1a8.jpg

Night number 3 on the road all day and in hotels tonight. Glorie popped over to say she forgives me for the stress as long as she gets enough scritches.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
We are home owners!

We had a major scare today that left me literally shaking and holding back tears.

When we got to the home for our final walk through the sellers had not quite vacated. They were trying but they just weren't out yet, and the house was full of people and cats. This left me unwilling to drop off my dog and birds as I had planned (after multiple days on the road and in hotels).

Instead we took them along to the closing with us and left them in the car, in the shade, doors locked, AC blasting, as we have every time we were unable to take them with us, such as for potty breaks. My jeep has a killer AC and I really wasn't worried.

The closing took about an hour and when we left we congregated in the parking lot to discus keys, internet, trash pickup, etc. I noticed I couldn't hear the engine and asked my mom to double check that the jeep was still running.

She starts yelling that the jeep ISNT RUNNING! Keep in mind it is Georgia in the summer! Initiate PANIC!!

I practically threw my things at one of the realtors and ripped the door open. One second of relief as I hear and feel the air is on, followed by panic again as I realize it is HOT AIR!

Meanwhile my mom has the side door open and already has water in a dish for the dog. I check the carriers but they are not clear sided and while I can see that the birds are ALIVE I can't see what sort of shape they are in.

I start yelling at my poor mother to close the door and get in, thinking that the reason the air is hot is because the car isn't moving (don't ask me why my mind made that up in the moment). All the birds are growing their feathers back after shipping so I can't safely open the carriers and I just wanted to GET THE AIR COOL as fast as possible!

I go to throw the car in reverse and it won't go. I see the gas gauge and it's on E, even though I just filled up! More panic! How am I going to get them somewhere safe??? (If I had paused for one second I would have realized that two realtors and the seller were all still right there and their cars worked)

I finally realized THE ENGINE ISNT RUNNING, just the battery. No wonder the fan is on but not the AC! So we jump in, crank it up, and take off. I'm shaking at this point and the only thing that kept me from vomiting was the fact that I HAD to get them back to the house so I could safely open the carriers!

We get to the house, thank God the sellers had vacated finally! Got the birds into the master bedroom and carriers opened.

They didn't even seem phased. Here I am, a disaster, about to dissolve into a puddle on the floor thinking I've cooked my babies by leaving them in a freaking hot car, and they are just like "are we done with the carriers yet?

Anyway I thought I would share my horror with you all. I'll have nightmares about that for years.

But everyone is fine, myself and my mom suffered the worst of it apparently, as the car wasn't really all that hot (it really is nice and cool today by Georgia standards!), but I am still just... stunned.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh my gosh I can't even imagine the horror you felt. So glad everyone is okay.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh and congratulations [emoji2]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Scary as heck! I'm so glad that worked out okay. Good thing it wasn't a scorcher of a day!
Poor thing, sounds like you were so panicked.

Congratulations again on your new home! Will you be giving us a virtual tour?

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Probably not a virtual tour but soon I'll begin construction on my aviary and I'll post updates on that :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! Looking forward to it!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Yummy salad! Makoa wouldn't sit for pictures lol.

7ea30232cff0704743d2d7c327369811.jpg
3f33cf46b8a8480af3253d5bb82c5db9.jpg
aeb162dd5d0fc717f0f342ddb051825b.jpg
72dad4e75b3b5aed06948781f3e114f8.jpg

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
And Ranger is settling in alright.

b68934706ecb116ba563df125ec58c13.jpg

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Good gracious Dani, still feeling sick from reading your text. So pleased all your babies are OK.

Wishing you happiness in your new home.

Do you think you should have a check up after that stress?

Take care now.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
LOVE the pics, Dani! Especially the ones of your birds enjoying their salad! Brought a big smile to my face. Nice to see everyone seems to be adjusting well to the move.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Thanks all!

If any of you are praying people I could use some prayers! I have less than two weeks to get an aviary up before the ringies arrive, and my mother and I have both started to experience extreme joint pain. For me it's limited to hips and knees but she is having pain even with breathing. Both seem to be chiropractic issues and we are being treated but the timing is scary and frustrating. I really do not want to have to go out and spend hundreds on little horrible pet store cages just to contain them while I finish the aviary, and obviously at this point every day of delay increases the chance of the human baby coming before it is finished.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Do you have a network of big army types to call in the cavalry so to speak? If there is help there and all it needs is to be asked Dani, please ask?

Take care of yourself and your Mum, been a tough while for you both all the travelling.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Thank you :) unfortunately no, we don't have freind here yet and it's tougher to make friends this time since we are living off post and most of our neighbors actually seem rather elderly.

But we will get it figured out one way or another!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Is the base near?

Update your location Dani and see if anyone on here is close. I'd come if I could!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
It's close by but like I said no friends there yet. I'm in Columbus, Georgia, and I think we have a few members in the tristate area but no one close enough for this. It isn't an emergency just a frustration. A big frustration!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
They must have someone who has even a secondary responsibility for staff and families.

Please call and ask? A couple of strapping lads wielding hammers will do the job in no time, not sure about your blood pressure :)

Most Reactions