Its all fun and games until the line breaks.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
For everyone who loves Fargo.. There was almost no more Fargo!

We were out flight training, like usual, and i had checked the line, like always, to make sure it was fine...

He did about 5 flies to his perch, then he did this massive fly, was really amazing, he was doing full turns in the air which i hadn't seen him do before!

Then the line snapped... and he just kept going..

I sprinted after him, and he landed in a huge tree. about 15-20 meters high..

I didn't know what to do.. i tried climbing but there was no way i could reach him..

I am usually calm in situations, fires/floods, but when it comes to my animals, i freak out...

But, with Fargo, i stayed so calm, looking back now, i can not believe how calm i was..

Have you ever heard the stories where the mother gets super strength and lifts a car to get to her baby? Haha Well that was me..

I knew i would have to reach the harness leash, and then it would all be ok..

I got this super duper skinny long branch, probably about 10 meters, and lifted it above my head, and was move the harness leash around leaves and branches, to get it to dangle down..

I then climbed up a few branches, and was standing on my tippy toes, on this skinny branch reaching for this leash..

It was JUST like a movie, you know when the rope swings, and they are about 2cm away from grabbing it, and then it brushes your fingers but you still cant get it?

Thats exactly what happened... I thought well that isn't going to work.. If i would of fell, i would of broken many bones haha

I then climbed back down, got my long branch again, and pushed fargo along the tree, then moved the harness leash to a different point.. Perfect.. It was dangling right on a big branch.. I just had to climb up there..

It is a huge tree, with a huge trunk, so there are no branches to step up to.. and i literally just grabbed onto a branch above me, and swung up, grabbed on, climbed up again.. and got to the branch with the leash..

When i reached the leash, it was like this huge relief, i wrapped it around my arm, tied it on.. Then i needed to get Fargo down, cause he was still a few meters above me..

I tugged.. he held on, then was falling backwards, i gave him another little tug, and he fell, and flew into my chest.. And i held on for my life...

We were still about 3 meters up, and there was no way down... so i cradled him, and jumped..

The amazing thing is.. I had left my ipod recording the whole time... I was just listening to it..

I was talking to Fargo the whole time 'Its ok baby, i will get you, dont worry sweetie.. Fargggoooo' and he was looking at me the whole time... he had his head tilted watching me!

Now Fargo could of easily flown away again.. But thank god he just stayed still..

He was probably absolutely terrified like i was..

On the video, when Fargo landed on me, i started crying, saying 'oh my god.. oh my god!'

It sounds so sad and sweet haha

My whole body is covered with dirt and soot, and my chest really really hurts, cause after i got Fargo then the shock hit me and i had breathing problems !

Gave Fargo a quick shower when we got back, so he wasnt dirty, and now hes sitting here giving me loads of kisses and preening..

I cant explain how relieved i am, it was like my whole life had flown away haha

And the most annoying thing is.. it wasn't even the part of the flight line that i had adjusted that broke.. its one of their little clips which i actually thought was so flimsy to begin with, just came off... and Fargo has never chewed it.. So it seems like the flight line company should be making better clips..

My ipod wasnt in the view of the tree or me climbing up, but you can JUST see where Fargo was..

'It's ok mum, i am here now'

Kisses

I am really not having the best few weeks with my animals.. :(

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Aww Honey... At least you got him back! You're like super mom, way to go!

Luke252

Aug 6, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
Parrots
Bluey - Opaline Blue Budgie, Larry - Greater Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Charlie - Samueli Red Tailed Black Cockatoo, Max - Eastern Long Billed Corella
Wow!! What an amazing story. I know what its like to loose a bird and then the joy of finally retrieving them. I am sure Fargo is so proud of you. In situations like that, and in such strange environments, birds are just too nervous to react. I am sure if Fargo was a little more comfortable he would have come straight to you. Such an amazing story and great to hear you got him back.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Oh my goodness, So happy your both OK. You did great Tab and you can tell how much Fargo appreciates it.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you all.. Just counted 17 scratches on my legs! haha

Fargo has a tiny scratch on his face, must of been from the tree branches, but other than that he is all ok! He is eating fine, so he must be feeling ok!

I have feared this day, for so long, i am just so glad it had a happy ending... Although i think we will put the flight training on hold for a while, so i can get over my fear again hahaha

Definitely Luke, he honestly had no idea what to do, and he has never flown down from a huge tree like that before, so he was just watching me, waiting for me!

I am sure when the line broke and he was free, Fargo thought:

Hahaha The Hobbit :rolleyes:

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
HOLLY COW!!! How crazy scary and you climbing and all like wonder woman!!! I didn't breathe while reading until the very end and just almost had an asthma attack.....and I don't even have asthma! OMG OMG if only you lost Fargo..... I would call the company and let them know though.....That's not safe..... phew....give Fargo a kiss for me, and good going for going after him and getting him safe and sound!:35:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahaha Echo i dont think i breathed the whole time..

When it happened, and i first tried to climb the tree, my legs were shaking, i just couldnt keep them still!

It was like my body was in crazy shock and panic, but my brain kept calm and thought ! haha

Going to go get the flight line which is still in the paddock and take a picture of where it came off!

Cami

Mar 24, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
9 1/2 yr old B&G, Spencer. 15 1/2 yr old Indian Ringneck, Edmund.
:eek:OMG Tab!!! Thank God you got him back!!!
You’re gonna be sore for a few days, something similar happened to Spencer in 2008 and I was chasing after him over desert terrain, (he was flying) leaping over boulders and sliding down rocky hills, but I got him, thank God I got him.
I was so very black and blue the next day but cannot believe how I was able to climb, that adrenaline surge.

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Oh my goodness! He was so high up! So glad he's ok (and that you didn't break any bones!)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
So here is a diagram of the tree, i just went down to get the flight line..

Then this is what happened to the 'amazing flight line'
It has been used no more than 15 times, and it already snapped that "secure" welded part of the elastic...

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
:eek:OMG Tab!!! Thank God you got him back!!!
You’re gonna be sore for a few days, something similar happened to Spencer in 2008 and I was chasing after him over desert terrain, (he was flying) leaping over boulders and sliding down rocky hills, but I got him, thank God I got him.
I was so very black and blue the next day but cannot believe how I was able to climb, that adrenaline surge.

Thank you!! haha

Oh wow really!!! Its amazing how you turn into a super hero when you need to save your baby! haha :rolleyes:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Geez, Tab! You don't mind giving a few of us oldies heart attax, do you? What a horrible experience for both of you! I can't imagine how it must've felt from your POV, but thank goodness it's all over and Fargo's back where he belongs. If I were you, I'd be writing a rather passionate letter to the harness company.

Hugs to you and Fargo from Trish and the Beaks XXXOOO

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
ROTFL! 'They've taken the Hobbit to Isengard!'

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm glad you got fargo back!!!! It's a scary moment and I've been through it as well many years ago with one of my baby tiels up in Iowa. Stupid me walked outside with my baby tiel and he flew way up in the tree. I was fortunate that we had bamboo sticks that was very very long and I used it to reach for him and he stepped up (I used to train all my babies to step up to a stick or anything that's held in front of them.) and I lowered the stick slowly not to freak him out, it was very very windy that day and I thought he might take off because of the wind condition but he stayed on the stick when I did the diagonal with the stick he moved to the sides of the stick. I slowly pull the stick towards me reaching for the top of the stick and I held my finger up to him and he stepped up and I cup his back with my other hand and give him a kiss like I always do with my babies. I took him inside and he acted like nothing happened...lol....

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I nearly had a heart attack when reading your thread Tab
I held my breath right till the end
Thank goodness you remained calm and were able to access the situation.

Luckily Fargo is clever enough to listen to you, thus remaining calm as well.

I reckon the man upstairs was looking after you both

THANK GOD

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
So glad you got Fargo back!!!! That must have been a scary experience, but it's great that he stayed put for you!!!!

I think it's time you contact the company of the flight line and let them know what happened!!!! I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Geez, Tab! You don't mind giving a few of us oldies heart attax, do you? What a horrible experience for both of you! I can't imagine how it must've felt from your POV, but thank goodness it's all over and Fargo's back where he belongs. If I were you, I'd be writing a rather passionate letter to the harness company.

Hugs to you and Fargo from Trish and the Beaks XXXOOO

Hahaha sorry! :rolleyes:

My chest STILL hurts when i breathe, really must of shocked my insides haha

I sent the company an email with photos of the line where it broke, hopefully will get a refund.. They obviously need to rethink that bit on the line, or maybe i just had a faulty one, who knows :31:

Thank you XOXO

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I'm glad you got fargo back!!!! It's a scary moment and I've been through it as well many years ago with one of my baby tiels up in Iowa. Stupid me walked outside with my baby tiel and he flew way up in the tree. I was fortunate that we had bamboo sticks that was very very long and I used it to reach for him and he stepped up (I used to train all my babies to step up to a stick or anything that's held in front of them.) and I lowered the stick slowly not to freak him out, it was very very windy that day and I thought he might take off because of the wind condition but he stayed on the stick when I did the diagonal with the stick he moved to the sides of the stick. I slowly pull the stick towards me reaching for the top of the stick and I held my finger up to him and he stepped up and I cup his back with my other hand and give him a kiss like I always do with my babies. I took him inside and he acted like nothing happened...lol....

Oh wow!! Its so scary isn't it!

It was soo windy here as well, i was also panicking thinking Fargo would fly off, but when the branches and leaves swung he just held on tight, thank god!

Thats a great idea!!! :) Might have to look at getting a super long and light stick with a little perch at the tip which i can just stick up if he ever gets caught again! The one i was using to move the leash was sooo heavy haha

Thanks! :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I nearly had a heart attack when reading your thread Tab
I held my breath right till the end
Thank goodness you remained calm and were able to access the situation.

Luckily Fargo is clever enough to listen to you, thus remaining calm as well.

I reckon the man upstairs was looking after you both

THANK GOD

Thank you!!!!

Thinking back now i am really proud of my self with how i handled it, might of been the difference between Fargo and no Fargo!!

and yes i think he knew that i was coming to get him.. He just focused on my every move as i explained to him what i was doing the whole time!!

Definitely a miracle, must have a guardian angel watching over him! :rolleyes:
glomp.gif

Most Reactions

Latest posts