Its all fun and games until the line breaks.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Oh my god!!! How horrifying!!!!!!!! SO glad you got him back, I would be emailing the company right away telling them the line snapped and you could have lost him!!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I nearly had a heart attack when reading your thread Tab
I held my breath right till the end
Thank goodness you remained calm and were able to access the situation.

Luckily Fargo is clever enough to listen to you, thus remaining calm as well.

I reckon the man upstairs was looking after you both

THANK GOD

Thank you!!!!

Thinking back now i am really proud of my self with how i handled it, might of been the difference between Fargo and no Fargo!!

and yes i think he knew that i was coming to get him.. He just focused on my every move as i explained to him what i was doing the whole time!!

Definitely a miracle, must have a guardian angel watching over him! :rolleyes:
glomp.gif

I have still got goosebumps thinking about it
:eek:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Poor little boy stayed on my shoulder for 3 hours, and we both took a little half nap..

Now hes playing by himself on his gym.. All better!

Hopefully no more adventures for a while.. I don't think i can deal with any more problems for a while :54:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh my god!!! How horrifying!!!!!!!! SO glad you got him back, I would be emailing the company right away telling them the line snapped and you could have lost him!!

I know Casey :( I have emailed them! Will let everyone know what they reply!

Hey, thinking of it, maybe Fargo just wanted to fly to Sydney for Audrey's birthday? haha :rolleyes:

So so soooooooo glad everything worked out...

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
So glad you got Fargo back!!!! That must have been a scary experience, but it's great that he stayed put for you!!!!

I think it's time you contact the company of the flight line and let them know what happened!!!! I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you out!

Thank you!!! :) Yes it would of been alot worse if he kept flying to different trees!

Have you ever heard of this happening before? :confused: Or are the flight lines usually really secure with their clasps ?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Not with the flight line, no.... but with the harness, I have... but it was because the bird had chewed the harness, and destroyed it enough that he could get out.... the owner contacted the company about it and they replaced the harness for free and also reinforced the areas that the bird (believe he was also a macaw!) had chewed up!

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
I read the title of your post and then held my breath. Thank goodness there was a happy ending. Sending you a huge hug. :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Not with the flight line, no.... but with the harness, I have... but it was because the bird had chewed the harness, and destroyed it enough that he could get out.... the owner contacted the company about it and they replaced the harness for free and also reinforced the areas that the bird (believe he was also a macaw!) had chewed up!

See that is so strange! We have had the harness ALOT longer than the flight line, so you would think if anything was going to tear/break it would be the harness leash, because it has more wear and tear!

But for the flight line to break when its been used no more than 15 times, only got it on the 27th of July, and Fargo hasnt chewed a single bit of it, so its freaky that it broke that easily!!

Sounds like they are understanding though! :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I read the title of your post and then held my breath. Thank goodness there was a happy ending. Sending you a huge hug. :)

Thank you!!
He is a very lucky boy i think!

After getting his leg ring caught in the cage, a snake coming into my room, and now the flight line breaking.. He has come out perfect each time.. Definitely a guardian angel :eek:

Dad just got home and said, so did you have a mental breakdown when you finally got a hold of him? :p

I said yes.. and i held on to him like you wouldnt believe!

He wanted to ride back on my shoulder, but i was like noooo, you will stay in my arms hahahaha

Big hug in return! :rolleyes:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
You have GOT to be kidding me, right? :eek:

OMG, Tab, WHY can't you just have some really boring days sometime? All this adventure stuff isn't good for the heart, you know. ;)

The way you got up that tree is AMAZING! :11:

Please....try and have a relaxing evening, and NO more adventures for quite a while. :)

And give Fargo extra snuggles from me.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I sent the company an email with photos of the line where it broke, hopefully will get a refund.. They obviously need to rethink that bit on the line, or maybe i just had a faulty one, who knows :31:

Thank you XOXO

So the line is completely stable? Frayed Knot!

Its an adventure since it ended well...;)

dulphinz

Apr 30, 2013
NH
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Coco
Female B&G- Tinker
Oh no! Thank goodness you are both ok!!! How scary that must of been :(. I can't imagine! So have you now settled down from all the emotions? Fargo still being the cutest B&G ever or was he also a little frazzled?

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You have GOT to be kidding me, right? :eek:

OMG, Tab, WHY can't you just have some really boring days sometime? All this adventure stuff isn't good for the heart, you know. ;)

The way you got up that tree is AMAZING! :11:

Please....try and have a relaxing evening, and NO more adventures for quite a while. :)

And give Fargo extra snuggles from me.

HAHAHA Its like the past few years my life has been so boring, i never did anything.. and this year, i honestly can not catch a break!!!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a GOOD adventure, or you are going to get lots of messages from me being upset again :rolleyes: haha

Usually i dont give Fargo snuggles before bed, i just tell him goodnight, give him a kiss, and turn the light off..

But tonight i gave him this huge hug and held him tight, he was like what in the world is she doing :20:

Its funny, after for the brief moment when i honestly thought, there might be no more Fargo,, NOW its like i have got him all over again? Like i am back at that 'oh my god :rolleyes:' kind of stage?

I just want to keep cuddling him and making sure he is ok, and all the things he does which annoys me, i am loving, like i was vacuuming, and he flew onto my shoulder, and i usually hate when he does that, cause im trying to clean, and i was just so glad that he was there, because for that brief moment, he couldnt of been there?

and usually Fargo isnt the clingy type, 30 minutes to an hour he would spend actually with me, and the past 3 days he has been really clingy! Wanted to sit on my chair or shoulder all the time, and i was just like dude give me a break!! :p
and this afternoon i was like god, how could i want him not to be with me.. :eek:

Its hard to explain, just like almost losing him has made me want to keep him closer, i cant even begin to think what i would of done if i hadnt got him back..

Of course he doesnt want to be any closer, hes like yep, we had our cuddle time, ok yep. bye, going to play by myself now.. :09:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I sent the company an email with photos of the line where it broke, hopefully will get a refund.. They obviously need to rethink that bit on the line, or maybe i just had a faulty one, who knows :31:

Thank you XOXO

So the line is completely stable? Frayed Knot!

Its an adventure since it ended well...;)

Hahahaha Nooooooo!!! Adventures are usually good though! :rolleyes:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh no! Thank goodness you are both ok!!! How scary that must of been :(. I can't imagine! So have you now settled down from all the emotions? Fargo still being the cutest B&G ever or was he also a little frazzled?

Thank you!!!

Yes Sir Fargo is back to normal, he was fine after about 3-4 hours, back to his normal self, playing on his gym, didnt want me fussing over him anymore.. He was a bit confused why i kept going over to him and giving him a big cuddle :09:

And i am alot better, it feels like it was a dream thinking back to it now! :eek:
Its all a big blur!

Hopefully will get the imagine out of my head soon! :rolleyes:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
The aviator flight line company replied already

and said:

[FONT=&quot]The cord could have been nicked with a razor blade when the clamp was being installed. Otherwise it appears that is has somehow been cut. I have attached a couple of pictures that show what a break under force looks like. Because of the number of rubber strands inside the cord they do not all brake at the same time so some should be sticking out when the cord is stretched to the breaking point without being partially cut.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We need to find out what happened here so I can try and duplicate this break. We do a lot of test and have never been able to create a break in the shock cord without weight testing the material with 15 pound drop weights. Even then it is difficult to break the material. This is many times more than a parrot can pull.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Then they said they would send the replacement part for it...

I told them that it had only been used about 10 times, blah blah blah, i checked the line each time i use it to make sure there are no breaks, so the problem was inside the clamp which is where i couldnt see, so obviously on the inside of the clamp with the material, it was breaking, and then it just pulled out when it got the force of Fargo...

Cause honestly i saw no problem with it when i put it on him, like they suggested it would of been fraying already... but if it was on the INSIDE with pieces already broken, then i would of had no idea!!

Then i said i would rather my money back and i would send them the product back, cause i have no trust in the product anymore..

Even if it was just a 'one of' thing, it has still happened, which means it could happen again, and i will not risk it!

It seems weird that they go through all these tests and they have never had them break.. and yet mine breaks.. just my luck -_-

So will see what they come back with!! :S

I am not home most of tomorrow, so Fargo gets to spend it in his cage... No adventures for him! He can have a nice relaxing day without causing me any stress hahaha

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Holy Crow Tab!!!, I just got up and read this. I can't even imagine what you must have been going thru.

talk about a close call, all I can say is WAY TO GO!!!!,you know things always happen in 3's so hopefully that should be it for you for a while, ha ha.

Fargo is truly one special bird, and we all love to hear your stories!!
I sure hope your chest stops hurting soon.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Holy Crow Tab!!!, I just got up and read this. I can't even imagine what you must have been going thru.

talk about a close call, all I can say is WAY TO GO!!!!,you know things always happen in 3's so hopefully that should be it for you for a while, ha ha.

Fargo is truly one special bird, and we all love to hear your stories!!
I sure hope your chest stops hurting soon.

Hahaha its probably not the best story to wake up and read!

I never would of thought today i would be trying to rescue my bird in a tree :rolleyes:

Oh i actually believe things happen in 3's.. no kidding, they ALWAYS do!

I think my 3 are up with the events the past 3 weeks, so now i should be getting some good luck right? :09:

Thank you!! I am off to test ride a big horse tomorrow, lets hope i wont be super sore and achy in the morning :D

Just think if there would of be no more Fargo stories ever!! What would the forum do!! hehe ;)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Just got an email again!

[FONT=&quot]We have done a few different tests and believe we have found out what happened.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two months ago we change suppliers for the shock cord. We did the usual stretch and breakage test but today we checked the nylon for sheer strength.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It appears to us that the nylon sheath on the outside of cord is a bit brittle so when the cord is stretched and the nylon makes contact with the edge of the clasp the nylon can slowly break down. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eventually there were enough scratches on the pieces of nylon that it was able to break.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How about I refund your money and send you a new lead. You can do an aggressive test on the new lead before using so you will see that it will hold up.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As I mentioned before we have sold over 10,000 and personally use the Flight Line all the time without ever having this issue before.[/FONT]

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I just want to keep cuddling him and making sure he is ok, and all the things he does which annoys me, i am loving, like i was vacuuming, and he flew onto my shoulder, and i usually hate when he does that, cause im trying to clean, and i was just so glad that he was there, because for that brief moment, he couldnt of been there?

and usually Fargo isnt the clingy type, 30 minutes to an hour he would spend actually with me, and the past 3 days he has been really clingy! Wanted to sit on my chair or shoulder all the time, and i was just like dude give me a break!! :p
and this afternoon i was like god, how could i want him not to be with me.. :eek:

Its hard to explain, just like almost losing him has made me want to keep him closer, i cant even begin to think what i would of done if i hadnt got him back..

With me being ill, I've considered a ton of times if I should get rid of Merlin. Then I go for a walk in the park, sit by the tree he got stuck up in and remember how I felt when I thought he wouldn't be coming home with me... I go home with a smile on my face and recall all the things that I love so much about him and how I couldn't even think of parting with him now.

So yeah, each time I get cranky, I appreciate that I almost didn't get him back and it makes me appreciate him that bit more.

So glad you got Fargo back Tab, although I half expected him to make his way down to you because we all know how much Fargo loves you. I'm sure he wanted to :) Hope you're not too sore because of it and I'm sure you wont take him for granted any more! (Not saying you do, but yknow!)

I think it's stupid of them to have changed suppliers, why mess with perfection? If it was working, and rigorously tested and foolproof etc, why change it? Money I bet :rolleyes:.

Glad you're both okay asides from a few bruises and such! xx

Most Reactions

Latest posts