Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
She's absolutely adorable and watching her grow is fascinating :)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
It's hard to comprehend that Amy was that teeny once lol.
It seem's like every day you can see the changes your little girl is going through.
I really appreciate you sharing these wonderful/beautiful pictures of Bijou with us and her beginning of a long and happy and loving life! :green::)

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It is total cuteness overload that last photo of her in the towel looking so sleepy/comfy/happy:07:

Not sure she'll ever grow into those big feet. Kiwi has big massive feet that just seem disproportionately large/long for his size. It was something I noticed right away after adopting him. Never seen other amazons with such big feet. Might be a BFA trait to be the bigfoots of the parrot world:p?

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
Showing signs of understanding the all-important concept of "big eagle." XD XD XD

[ame="https://youtu.be/olhctifcyTI"]Baby Blue Front is Leaning about Being a Big Eagle - YouTube[/ame]

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
She's got some yellow on her wings. Looking like she's a xanthopteryx or at least a hybrid of aestivate and xanthopteryx. Going to be a real pretty bird when she has all her plumage and even has a respectable splotch of blue!

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
She's got some yellow on her wings. Looking like she's a xanthopteryx or at least a hybrid of aestivate and xanthopteryx. Going to be a real pretty bird when she has all her plumage and even has a respectable splotch of blue!

I should go get a good look at her parents once nobody in their general vicinity is on eggs or has chicks. I got a glimpse of them, but all my attention was focused on baby. The breeder has invited me to come see his setup for weaning and because he has a lot more experience than I do and it's been twenty years, I'll probably take him up on his offer.

Once I get back, I'll need a change of clothing and a shower. Even though my little one came from there, she might not have been exposed to an aviary virus that is shed intermittently. Heck, I might even take a clean change of clothes to my mother's house and shower over there. :)

And yes, I was thinking she might be a xanthopteryx, too. She has more yellow than I thought she would have. Or maybe it just looks that way because the various neck and body feathers that obscure shoulder feathers haven't come in. The red on Gabby's shoulders didn't always show, depending on how he was sitting. Regardless, her first set of feathers are looking good! She's such a cute little thing.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As we all know, with the exception of seeing the parents, its so very iffy to be defining the species this early. That said, those massive feet are a hallmark of the xanthopteryx, family segment of the Blue Fronts. That segment of the Blue Front family can be said to have a 'Massive Understanding.' :D

Love the updates!

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Latest video:

[ame="https://youtu.be/KzMxUenFjTA"]Baby Blue Front, 6-9-17 - YouTube[/ame]

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
She looked son crestfallen when you moved her away from the soap! Such a little sweetheart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wow simply amazing..every day she is growing! Her feathers are coming in sooo fast! little blur on her head..red and yellow on her arms...just beautiful. Thanks Ladyhawk foe sharing her growth with us!

Jim

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
She is really getting ready to 'leave the nest' now! Showing signs she'll be growing up to be a good and feisty amazon:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When that girl gets out of that tub, those massive feet of the xanthopteryx family are going to treat you to 'Road Runner' experiences that will keep you even more busy! :D. After all they're made for grasping and booking!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
When that girl gets out of that tub, those massive feet of the xanthopteryx family are going to treat you to 'Road Runner' experiences that will keep you even more busy! :D. After all they're made for grasping and booking!

Interesting the xanthopteryxs are indeed known to be avian bigfoots:eek:. I just thought Kiwi's massive feet were an aberration of nature;) Is this true of all black beak/footed amazons or just a.x blue fronts?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Interesting the xanthopteryxs are indeed known to be avian bigfoots:eek:. I just thought Kiwi's massive feet were an aberration of nature;) Is this true of all black beak/footed amazons or just a.x blue fronts?

The classification of 'bigfoot' in the 'Amazona' family (lets face it, those big MAC's have really big feet) is the farnosa chapmani, the big boy's of the Mealy family! They can put between 150 to 185 grams over the xanthopteryxs on an easy day (Dark Nails and Blended Beak). That said, their claws look appropriate for their body and are only slightly larger than an xanthopteryx claws.

So, from the standpoint of body size to claw size, the xanthopteryxs win this class. From the standpoint of biggest over-all claws in the Amazons family, the farnosa chapmani of the Mealy family wins that class.

To your specific question regarding only the black beak/footed amazons. It is important to remember that the Yellow-Naped Amazons are the big guys of that specific grouping. But, like the Mealy's, their claw size is consistent with their body side. Maybe a little undersized by length, but larger in girth. As you know, Yellow-Naped Amazons have a huge variation is body size, so this is specific the to bigger Napes.

FYI: For another bit of information of Amazona knowledge, guess which family is 'believed' to be the oldest of the family Amazona?: Blue-Fronted Amazons.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
As you can see, I've done some serious work opening the pinfeathers on Sierra's head. (Her name is Sierra unless I change it to something else. Again, most mothers have nine months to consider a name and prepare.) If she had siblings, they would help, but she's an only bird, so it's up to me to make her as comfortable as I can. :green:

19093092_10209455827093226_884739547358145536_o.jpg

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots

You know, I think she is at least partly (maybe fully) Amazona aestiva xanthopteryx. One of the first things I noticed was how huge her feet were. She's grown into them to some extent, but DANG! Have a look for yourself:

18673038_10209275336701079_1169172533778085005_o.jpg

Maybe I should name her "Sassy," short for "Sasquatch." :D :green:

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
[ame="https://youtu.be/eG7ZEDG0bKs"]Baby Blue Front, 6-11-17 - YouTube[/ame]

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Wow,wow every time you post a pic or video of Sierra, i see some more development of her feathers and her attention span seems to have increased. Won't be long now until she is in a proper parrot cage!

Most Reactions