Juice Fasting anyone?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Iā€™m actually doing a 7 day water fast right now. From my research hunger is a lot worse during a juice fast because your digestive system is active and looking for something to digest, where as during a water fast (I replace electrolytes as well) this does not happen.

In my experience I never get any more hungry than I get if I skip only one meal.

I have come to love fasting (no, Iā€™m not anorexic, and yes, I am under the supervision of a provider). Iā€™ve never felt so good in my life! Giving my body a chance to recover from all the things that have made me chronically ill for decades! In my case, thatā€™s pretty much all grains, sugars (including fruit), most dairy products, and all sorts of fake ā€œhealthā€ foods. You know, the things the doctors kept telling me to eat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never done a water/electrolyte fast.

However, I have done a cleanse occasionally over the years. Your H2O/electrolyte fast sounds more like a cleanse to me.

If you donā€™t mind can you please elaborate more about it.

Thanks.

Itā€™s pretty simple, I just drink water and add electrolyte solution to keep those in check. I guess you could call it a cleanse? Iā€™m doing intermittent fasting sprinkled with extended fasts to treat various chronic health problems. Since one of those problems is insulin resistance, a juice cleans wouldnā€™t help me much.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Iā€™m actually doing a 7 day water fast right now. From my research hunger is a lot worse during a juice fast because your digestive system is active and looking for something to digest, where as during a water fast (I replace electrolytes as well) this does not happen.

In my experience I never get any more hungry than I get if I skip only one meal.

I have come to love fasting (no, Iā€™m not anorexic, and yes, I am under the supervision of a provider). Iā€™ve never felt so good in my life! Giving my body a chance to recover from all the things that have made me chronically ill for decades! In my case, thatā€™s pretty much all grains, sugars (including fruit), most dairy products, and all sorts of fake ā€œhealthā€ foods. You know, the things the doctors kept telling me to eat...

However, I have done a cleanse occasionally over the years. Your H2O/electrolyte fast sounds more like a cleanse to me.

Thanks.

Itā€™s pretty simple, I just drink water and add electrolyte solution to keep those in check. I guess you could call it a cleanse? Iā€™m doing intermittent fasting sprinkled with extended fasts to treat various chronic health problems. Since one of those problems is insulin resistance, a juice cleans wouldnā€™t help me much.

Yes, I understand that. My question is what is the science behind it and the benefits?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

Thanks.

Yes, I understand that. My question is what is the science behind it and the benefits?

There are many and much, but I really donā€™t want to spend a lot of time repeating it all. You can google Dr. Jason Fung if you are interested in learning more. There are plenty of other doctors but he is my current favorite.

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
I'm just saying, if I don't get red meat at least 3 times a week I am fairly certain I would need to be institutionalized. :14:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
It's day 4 and I'm still not hungry. I just feel...normal. I'm also considering extending the length of my fast depending how I feel on day 7. I'm thus far not starting to get that "glow" back to my face I had when I was all raw, instead (sorry if TMI) I'm breaking out:( I know it's to be expected with this kind of deal but I was really hoping it wouldn't happen to me;) My skin cleared up completely when I quit drinking dairy and first went raw vegan and lasted even after I incorporated some plain cooked foods back into my diet. Skin issues seem to be the only "detox-related" issues I'm having thus far (naturally, the most visible and hardest to hide one!). I think I'll do a *shudders* face mask and take a ginger bath later to help draw out the toxins further. On a positive note, my face and fingers seen to have lost the puffiness, so YAY!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Tami2- think I've seen all of those except the last one too.

One I didn't see on your list, if you haven't watched it yet, you really need to! It's on Netflix and called "What the Health". VERY eye opening about the big "non-profits" that are being funded by the meat and dairy industry to push meat, egg and dairy heavy diets on sick people who may benefit more from reducing or eliminating meat, eggs and dairy from their diet. Very sickening.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Tami2- think I've seen all of those except the last one too.

One I didn't see on your list, if you haven't watched it yet, you really need to! It's on Netflix and called "What the Health". VERY eye opening about the big "non-profits" that are being funded by the meat and dairy industry to push meat, egg and dairy heavy diets on sick people who may benefit more from reducing or eliminating meat, eggs and dairy from their diet. Very sickening.

It's day 4 and I'm still not hungry. I just feel...normal. I'm also considering extending the length of my fast depending how I feel on day 7. I'm thus far not starting to get that "glow" back to my face I had when I was all raw, instead (sorry if TMI) I'm breaking out I know it's to be expected with this kind of deal but I was really hoping it wouldn't happen to me My skin cleared up completely when I quit drinking dairy and first went raw vegan and lasted even after I incorporated some plain cooked foods back into my diet. Skin issues seem to be the only "detox-related" issues I'm having thus far (naturally, the most visible and hardest to hide one!). I think I'll do a *shudders* face mask and take a ginger bath later to help draw out the toxins further. On a positive note, my face and fingers seen to have lost the puffiness, so YAY!

Yes, GREAT movie & it is on the list. :)

I couldn't agree more. It is absolutely disgusting. If the American ppl really understood how the Gov is subsidizing our chronic illnesses they would be outraged.

Yea, My face broke out every time I did a cleanse, not so much with the juice fasts tho. Good Luck :smile049:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I'm just saying, if I don't get red meat at least 3 times a week I am fairly certain I would need to be institutionalized. :14:

hahahaha :D

That's how I feel when I can't get out in nature & photograph wildlife .... I get soooo cranky :09:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I've had issues with disordered eating and used to do a lot of fasts, it definitely screwed with my metabolism.

Hi Aquila,

Sorry to hear this.
Will you share w/ us the fasts that you have done? B/c every fast & cleanse I've ever done have Always yielded positive results. I'm interested to hear about it. If of course you want to share . . . :heart:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

There are many and much, but I really donā€™t want to spend a lot of time repeating it all. You can google Dr. Jason Fung if you are interested in learning more. There are plenty of other doctors but he is my current favorite.

So, I looked him up last night and WOW!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/authors/dr-jason-fung-m-d

I've never heard anything about this process. I am a registered nurse and we were taught that starvation only leads to your body storing fat when you begin to eat again. So, this is news to me. I will continue to research this and educate myself. I haven't gotten to part where you reintroduce food and how the body responds.

Interesting stuff indeed. :smile049:

Thank You!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots

I couldn't agree more. It is absolutely disgusting. If the American ppl really understood how the Gov is subsidizing our chronic illnesses they would be outraged.

Yea, My face broke out every time I did a cleanse, not so much with the juice fasts tho. Good Luck :smile049:

Guess it is there, up near the top. Not sure how I missed it:rolleyes:.

The worst part of breaking out is I'm not really the makeup type so I don't have any of the appropriate products to cover it up. Looks horrible. I do have some bentonite clay so I'll make a mask out of that later and see if it helps (I've never found face masks to do much but I'm a tad desperate!). I suspect it's because I've been eating soy products a few times a week since about Thanksgiving and I've known since shortly after I first started eating vegetarian me and soy are not good friends. I can tolerate a little soy every so often but if I eat it regularly it causes me issues of the hormonal variety and his why I suspect it is detoxing from soy in particular that is causing this reaction.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Tami2, Iā€™m actually reading his book The Obesity Code right now where he goes into great detail about the actual studies that have been done on starvation and yes, how starving causes you to gain weight, but there is a huge difference between calorie reduction and fasting which is what I never would have expected! Also he has treated hundreds of obese patients and not only do they lose, they donā€™t need surgery to get rid of the loose skin because of autophagy (the study of which led to the 2016 Nobel prize if I remember right). Iā€™m seeing and FEELING incredible results. Incredible. I have been sick and in pain my whole life and now Iā€™m not sick and Iā€™m only in a little bit of pain (unfortunately fasting doesnā€™t undo old joint injuries). And he is really clear that not everyone should do extended fasting. He is a big believer in giving your body what YOUR body needs not what someone elseā€™s body needs.

Along with the fasting Iā€™m really working to clean the JUNK out of my system. Thatā€™s an ongoing process that I started about 5 years ago but this year Iā€™m starting a veggie garden (since I finally have a YARD!) and Iā€™m considering meat rabbits and aquaponics.

I doubt our family will ever give up meat but I HATE supporting factory farmed meat, especially poultry. I have family who are farmers and their cattle are raised humanely but Iā€™ve seen plenty who arenā€™t. Chicken farming is one of the cruelest methods of raising food and I donā€™t like putting my money toward it. I donā€™t have an ethical problem eating meat, just with supporting inhumane raising practices. I live where I canā€™t raise cows or chickens, but I can raise rabbits and fish and know exactly how my food was treated and what toxins I didnā€™t put into them!

Ultimately I want to move my family in the direction of organic produce and meat, Little to no dairy, and very few if any grains (since they are what messed me us so bad in the first place), and no soy.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I've had issues with disordered eating and used to do a lot of fasts, it definitely screwed with my metabolism.

Hi Aquila,

Sorry to hear this.
Will you share w/ us the fasts that you have done? B/c every fast & cleanse I've ever done have Always yielded positive results. I'm interested to hear about it. If of course you want to share . . . :heart:

I've done water fasts, juice fasts, different tea fasts and cleanses, cabbage soup fasts, apple cider vinegar, protein shakes, etc. At one point I got down to a dangerously low weight (110 at 5'10.) I dealt with disordered eating while trying to improve my sports performance as a teen, and later on in my early to mid 20's due to body dysmorphia.

I've been vegetarian and different types of vegan at different points in my life, mostly after contracting lyme disease and developing an intolerance to beef for a number of years. I've suffered chronic illness my whole life, and in the last few years I've had to drastically change my diet due to transient gastroparisis and currently eat low fiber, low fat. I've lost 70lbs in the last year due to not being able to digest food properly. There hasn't been anything I've been able to do that's improved my health beyond medication, otherwise I'm totally nonfunctional. My level of disability has drastically increased in the last two years, at one point I was bedbound for about 8 months.

I tried fasts to improve my digestive health, but saw no improvement and often suffered increased fatigue and digestive issues, blood sugar issues and serious kidney and galbladder issues.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Great topic, I may learn something!!

I began life as a chronic plate-cleaner and was somewhat overweight for the first part of my life, into early adulthood. A roommate changed my life in 1985 by sharing her incredible vegetarian cooking and love of exercise. A switch was flipped and I became a pescatarian, though my ultimate goal is total vegetarianism. I found running and bike riding to be the ticket to higher metabolism while preserving my penchant for chocolate and other sweets! Thankfully I have no aversion to whole grains of any sort and enjoy them greatly.

Never attempted ritual fasting, as my metabolism seems fairly high and skipping nourishment even for a few hours makes me weak, cranky, and miserable. I realize various fasts include nutrients, and recently completed an unwanted "fast" from solid food. Posted this a few weeks ago in a discussion of the flu in the O/T section, but developed pancreatitis and was prescribed a liquid-only diet. Worse, it mandated the worst simple carbs for ease of digestion to "unload" the pancreas. I endured one week drinking salty broths, sugary jello/puddings and felt like crap.

Might try a juice fast, but not anytime soon!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
.... I suspect it's because I've been eating soy products a few times a week since about Thanksgiving and I've known since shortly after I first started eating vegetarian me and soy are not good friends. I can tolerate a little soy every so often but if I eat it regularly it causes me issues of the hormonal variety and his why I suspect it is detoxing from soy in particular that is causing this reaction.

Soy is manna for vegetarians/vegans because it is cheap, ubiquitous, and protein rich. Unfortunately the hormonal aspects can be problematic. In my case, a genetic mutation causing an overabundance of the clotting factor Prothrombin can be exacerbated by consuming phytoestrogens present in soy. Per my hematologist, soy should be consumed very sparingly. :( I periodically "cheat" with Chinese food and Gardein Holiday Roast at Thanksgiving! I survived!! :D

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Guess it is there, up near the top. Not sure how I missed it:rolleyes:.

The worst part of breaking out is I'm not really the makeup type so I don't have any of the appropriate products to cover it up. Looks horrible. I do have some bentonite clay so I'll make a mask out of that later and see if it helps (I've never found face masks to do much but I'm a tad desperate!). I suspect it's because I've been eating soy products a few times a week since about Thanksgiving and I've known since shortly after I first started eating vegetarian me and soy are not good friends. I can tolerate a little soy every so often but if I eat it regularly it causes me issues of the hormonal variety and his why I suspect it is detoxing from soy in particular that is causing this reaction.

Yea, I donā€™t over do the soy products either. Not b/c I donā€™t like them but b/c of the many reasons already stated. And like Scott I also enjoy it from time to time when I indulge in some Chinese food. :D

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Tami2, Iā€™m actually reading his book The Obesity Code right now where he goes into great detail about the actual studies that have been done on starvation and yes, how starving causes you to gain weight, but there is a huge difference between calorie reduction and fasting which is what I never would have expected! Also he has treated hundreds of obese patients and not only do they lose, they donā€™t need surgery to get rid of the loose skin because of autophagy (the study of which led to the 2016 Nobel prize if I remember right). Iā€™m seeing and FEELING incredible results. Incredible. I have been sick and in pain my whole life and now Iā€™m not sick and Iā€™m only in a little bit of pain (unfortunately fasting doesnā€™t undo old joint injuries). And he is really clear that not everyone should do extended fasting. He is a big believer in giving your body what YOUR body needs not what someone elseā€™s body needs.

Along with the fasting Iā€™m really working to clean the JUNK out of my system. Thatā€™s an ongoing process that I started about 5 years ago but this year Iā€™m starting a veggie garden (since I finally have a YARD!) and Iā€™m considering meat rabbits and aquaponics.

I doubt our family will ever give up meat but I HATE supporting factory farmed meat, especially poultry. I have family who are farmers and their cattle are raised humanely but Iā€™ve seen plenty who arenā€™t. Chicken farming is one of the cruelest methods of raising food and I donā€™t like putting my money toward it. I donā€™t have an ethical problem eating meat, just with supporting inhumane raising practices. I live where I canā€™t raise cows or chickens, but I can raise rabbits and fish and know exactly how my food was treated and what toxins I didnā€™t put into them!

Ultimately I want to move my family in the direction of organic produce and meat, Little to no dairy, and very few if any grains (since they are what messed me us so bad in the first place), and no soy.

Thereā€™s a lot to learn about this. However, I like Scott exercise regularly & have a high metabolism. Iā€™m pretty much a Grazer, I just nibble throughout the day. Just fasting for BW or a procedure gives me unwelcomed symptoms.

But, I definitely want to understand this method. And maybe, just maybe give it a try .... :confused:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Hi Aquila,

Sorry to hear this.

I've done water fasts, juice fasts, different tea fasts and cleanses, cabbage soup fasts, apple cider vinegar, protein shakes, etc. At one point I got down to a dangerously low weight (110 at 5'10.) I dealt with disordered eating while trying to improve my sports performance as a teen, and later on in my early to mid 20's due to body dysmorphia.

I've been vegetarian and different types of vegan at different points in my life, mostly after contracting lyme disease and developing an intolerance to beef for a number of years. I've suffered chronic illness my whole life, and in the last few years I've had to drastically change my diet due to transient gastroparisis and currently eat low fiber, low fat. I've lost 70lbs in the last year due to not being able to digest food properly. There hasn't been anything I've been able to do that's improved my health beyond medication, otherwise I'm totally nonfunctional. My level of disability has drastically increased in the last two years, at one point I was bedbound for about 8 months.

I tried fasts to improve my digestive health, but saw no improvement and often suffered increased fatigue and digestive issues, blood sugar issues and serious kidney and galbladder issues.

Well that's awful :(
I'm so sorry to hear this! Have you seen any holistic docs or nutritionists or just conventional?

Are you saying the Lyme caused your gastroparisis? B/c I've never heard Lyme bacteria effecting the gut only the joints, heart & brain.
How is it now? Were you able to regain the motility in your intestines?

I contracted Lyme in the spring 0f '07. The Lyme bacteria went straight to my heart and reeked havoc w/ my conduction system. I was in complete heart block and after 10 days in the hospital & w/ many attempts, they couldn't reverse the damage. I had to get a pacemaker. It is what it is ....

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Great topic, I may learn something!!

I began life as a chronic plate-cleaner and was somewhat overweight for the first part of my life, into early adulthood. A roommate changed my life in 1985 by sharing her incredible vegetarian cooking and love of exercise. A switch was flipped and I became a pescatarian, though my ultimate goal is total vegetarianism. I found running and bike riding to be the ticket to higher metabolism while preserving my penchant for chocolate and other sweets! Thankfully I have no aversion to whole grains of any sort and enjoy them greatly.

Never attempted ritual fasting, as my metabolism seems fairly high and skipping nourishment even for a few hours makes me weak, cranky, and miserable. I realize various fasts include nutrients, and recently completed an unwanted "fast" from solid food. Posted this a few weeks ago in a discussion of the flu in the O/T section, but developed pancreatitis and was prescribed a liquid-only diet. Worse, it mandated the worst simple carbs for ease of digestion to "unload" the pancreas. I endured one week drinking salty broths, sugary jello/puddings and felt like crap.

Might try a juice fast, but not anytime soon!

Are you all better now? I remember that thread.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Oh man some of you guys are on another level of health. I may have lost 70lbs but damn. As I said before I do a full juice fast 2 to 3 times a year and do a moderated version on Sundays. Most of the time I eat pretty healthy but I also eat junk food and Taco Bell lol. I'm a chef (not currently working) and I like to eat out in NYC quite a bit too like 2 nights a week and not in the city like 2 times a week. I do work out 4 times a week with a trainer but even when I don't my metabolism seems to have gone from very low as an obese person to pretty high as a healthy weight person. Go figure! One thing I know to be true is I think about food from when I wake up to when I go to bed because I'm a chef so yeah...I can't help but wonder if that's normal. I'm also thinking about my birds from when I wake up to when I go to bed also. Food and birds...

Most Reactions