Kiwi doesn't seem right

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I'll be thinking of Kiwi and you tonight. In the absence of blood draws or antibiotics, perhaps Kiwi's droppings will be a clue for the vet. Really hope he takes a turn for the better.

Last edited:

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
he was really weak after the car ride.. but responsive.. but the vet called, told me he had two seizures, and stopped breathing.. they gave him something, and now he's stable. but they weren't able to take blood or give antibiotics injection due to the seizures.. my heart hurts.. I don't know what to do. he might not make it...

Oh no!! Poor guy. I'm sorry, I hope he will pull through. Hang in there.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Red-Headed Amazon - Melon,
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Budgies - Mickey and Pluto
Kiwi passed away.. I miss his face, his voice and smell.. so sad now.. RIP....

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sorry for your loss.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Kiwi passed away.. I miss his face, his voice and smell.. so sad now.. RIP....

I am so sorry. You have eloquently stated why we love our birds so passionately.

RIP Kiwi.

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
So sorry to hear this! Did they find out why?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I am so so sorry for your loss:( Sweet Kiwi is flying free now.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
So sorry to hear this! Did they find out why?

they couldn't take blood from him cuz of his seizures.. but they thought it was a liver problem... now I don't wanna go home to see the empty cage.. still staying at the office... so depressing....

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,
Took Kiwi's neighbor, Halo, for a complete check up. He is very healthy. Now I think Kiwi's death was due to toys. He prolly swallowed an object, as what the vet suspected... (she said Kiwi either swallowed an object / had liver disease / had chlamidiosis)
I also noticed his kabob toy was missing a piece. prolly swallowed by Kiwi.. so sad..
from now on I need to be super careful about toys... I've also heard another person's bird was hung by a toy.. scary.. need some guidance on choosing toys..

my friend found me another Amazon online.. his name is also Kiwi, raised by the owner as a baby.. hand fed, tamed.. might be one-person bird.. not sure yet.. per owner, her Kiwi is very healthy. I'm not sure if she has done blood work on him yet. will ask when I see her tmr..

also, my friend referred me a vet which is 40min to an hour away. is it too far? will the parrot be comfortable riding for an hour?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
also, my friend referred me a vet which is 40min to an hour away. is it too far? will the parrot be comfortable riding for an hour?

I take Zilla 45 min. to an hour one way to the avian vet, she handles it just fine and has for the several trips we have made all in a single month.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,

I take Zilla 45 min. to an hour one way to the avian vet, she handles it just fine and has for the several trips we have made all in a single month.

will they be more comfortable on a perch in a traveler's cage or on a blanket in a traveler's cage?

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon

will they be more comfortable on a perch in a traveler's cage or on a blanket in a traveler's cage?

I put a soft towel in the bottom then a perch that screws onto the door of the travel cage just off the bottom enough I can open the door, but if she slips off she only has an inch or so to drop.

OP
Ninjette

Ninjette

Sep 10, 2014
California
Parrots
Jenday Conure - Halo,

I put a soft towel in the bottom then a perch that screws onto the door of the travel cage just off the bottom enough I can open the door, but if she slips off she only has an inch or so to drop.

Thanks. I will lower the perch and put a towel inside. I drive a stick and my driving isn't very smooth. That's why I'm worried that they don't feel comfortable..

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I don't think a ride of 40 to 50 minutes is uncomfortably long provided your bird is in a secure carrier and appears relaxed. Most of my parrots go into the carrier without a perch - I believe this is safer as they will naturally try to climb on a perch and can easily fall while in motion. A small cup of favorite treats is placed at front so they can graze if desired.

Most Reactions