Kiwi's carrier is relined! Like "pimp my ride" for parrots

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
:eek: WOW!!!!!!! That is AMAZING!!! Kiwi is one lucky boy! I'm sure he will ignore his cage to move into his new pimp daddy ride ;)

You could make mega bucks selling parrot-pimped-rides!!

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Wow. That is awesome. So cute. You should look into making and selling. I for one would definitely buy one that had been 'pimped'. :)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Now that is cute! I have a question, though. Will he chew through the material?

Kiwi doesn't really bother fabric. He's never chewed clothes or upholstery or even his fabric sleeping hut in his cage, and that would be really easy for him to rip up if he wanted. In fact, the only thing Kiwi really ever chews up is plastic, he's not even particularly interested in wood and paper/cardboard either. I wouldn't imagine why he'd have a vendetta against the carrier and nothing else thats cloth or fabric. He seemed pretty happy in there:)

As for doing this sort of thing for other people, I don't know how good of an idea that might be, as other birds do love ripping up fabric. I can't make the appliqué or stitching resistant to a big chewer;) But I think a determined chewer could have shredded that original lining just as easy. I do debate sending a picture to the company, as they could use the idea and use a printed fabric instead of the boring one.

DanR

Jan 23, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Tango - WBC
That is AMAZING!!! :eek::52::eek::52:

Wow you are very talented, it's beautiful!!! Do you take comissions?? LOL! I think I'll order one and send it to you directly lol!! Better not let Tango see that when he finally arrives (or my daughter for that matter) or I'm going to have some jealous looks thrown my way.

By the way, did you get the nylon mesh or the aluminum mesh? How do you feel about the quality of the mesh you chose?

again, amazing job!!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
That is AMAZING!!! :eek::52::eek::52:

Wow you are very talented, it's beautiful!!! Do you take comissions?? LOL! I think I'll order one and send it to you directly lol!! Better not let Tango see that when he finally arrives (or my daughter for that matter) or I'm going to have some jealous looks thrown my way.

By the way, did you get the nylon mesh or the aluminum mesh? How do you feel about the quality of the mesh you chose?

again, amazing job!!

Lol, don't know if I would feel right doing this on commission. Kiwi is an oddball who doesn't chew much, but I would feel terrible if someone paid me to make something nice and their bird ripped it up:11: I had to hand stitch the whole lining in, so it would be much easier for a determined bird to rip out than the manufacturer one. Plus, I am sure doing this voided out the manufacturers warrantee.

I ordered off ebay because it was a bit cheaper, and it came with the steel mesh (I was actually unsure which one it would come with until I opened the box). It seems pretty nice, you can see well out of it and the light passes through pretty well (yes, I totally stuck my head in there to check, when "unoccupied" by the feathery resident, of course;)). I'm actually really impressed by the overall quality of the carrier. It seems sturdy and so long as your bird doesn't rip it up, it would probably last years and years of normal wear and tear. I do not, however, think this carrier would hold up to a really destructive bird. The cons I see is a plastic zipper (that may be due to metal zippers only being made of toxic metals to birds, I'm not sure). As a seamstress, I just prefer the durability of metal zippers to plastic, but it will be easy enough to replace if it ever does break or Kiwi chews on it or something. Even if you can't sew, you could just have a seamstress put a new zipper in no problem.

I think you are getting a smaller bird right (?), so you could get the small carrier. The "medium" I needed to fit Kiwi is HUGE. My husband was joking it was bigger than I am lol:09:, but it's lightweight (like half the weight of my purse) so no big deal to carry around, just Kiwi is a larger bird so the carrier is proportionally large, and I'm a smaller woman so it looks really funny on me. My real big complaint is the dismal color choices. Road work sign yellow or army-issue green are just not my personal preference of colors to be carrying around, but it's a carrier for a bird, not a fashion accessory so it's not that big of a deal. Still, the company makes such cute carriers for dog out of all kinds of cute prints, but the bird carriers are lacking in style;)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Kiwi does seem much more comfortable in his carrier with the new lining. He was preening in there earlier. Still getting him used to the motion of moving around in it though. Been walking briefly around the living room for a few minutes at a time. I just have to keep reminding myself this is a brand new thing for him, so he needs his time so it becomes a positive and fun experience to be in there. Though, I'm ready to go on a hike with him like yesterday:D I must remember that patience is a virtue with the feathery one.

inge

Mar 16, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Dusky Conure, "Wynnie" (RIP little Wynnie girl)
Too cute! Now I have to learn to sew :)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So, I finally took sir featherbutt out for a walk today and he did really well! We just walked a little bit down the street, but he seemed happy and comfortable with it (I have been working on getting him used to the carrier and moving around in it and stuff before taking him out). Naturally, his first time being out in the carrier walking around seemed to be the time everyone else was out walking, so 6 people took one look and descended on me to ask all about the birdie:52: I tried to time it mid-afternoon when I figured no one would be out, but I guess that was not the case. Thankfully, he didn't get aggressive or frightened, so YAY! We also went to the bus station to pick up my hubby and I think that sealed the deal with him loving the carrier. Kiwi LOVES car rides so I think that was the big key to a positive association;) The second I put him in the seat he started making his squeals of joy. He was so very excited to be in the car again, and thoroughly enjoyed hanging out on the steering wheel while we waited in the parking lot. I'm thinking this carrier was a great investment and money well spent:)

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Yay for Kiwi!! So happy it worked out well April!

Thanks:D I'm just happy for Kiwi that we are finally at a point he is settled and content enough we can offer him an opportunity to see new things and get out and about. I think *deep down* he's a friendly and social bird, and I think he's finally at the point where he can enjoy life instead of being distrusting and aggressive:) It sure took him long enough to reach this point!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
But he reached that point because of YOU! Even though hubby is his favorite, with all of your love, and gentle, positive persistence... It paid off! It's SO much harder (emotionally) at least for me, to put as much love and effort into bonding with and spoiling an animal who picked someone else as his number one. GOOD FOR YOU!! and awesome for Kiwi too!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I just try to always keep in mind he's an animal, he had a rough past and it's nothing personal. Plus, all it took was a little (lot) of patience;). Here's the little guy in the car:D Sorry for the poor quality on my phone camera.

mail

Forgot the one of him on the steering wheel:D! He likes to think he's driving (o, and before anyone says anything we were parked not driving lol)
mail

mail

Last edited:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I can't see any pics. On my tablet it's little squares where the photos are supposed to be.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
haha it looks AMAZING well done I love it! Especially the glittery sky and the name :)

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Ha! that is SO AWESOME!!!! I am a sewer too. You did a MAGNIFICENT job, not just sewing, but with the design!!! So cool!!!!

Most Reactions