Kokkie’s crumbs, pieces of a Grey’s story.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Hello all, it’s been a hot minute since I’ve posted. It’s been so long ago that I wrote about losing my beloved Nigel (AG). A friend recently asked if I would take her 15-20 year old AG Kokkie who has had a penchant for plucking and laying eggs. The good news is is the plucking is decreasing and egg laying is a thing of the past. With lots of love she is turning into the best parrot ever. I‘m glad to be back here.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello all, it’s been a hot minute since I’ve posted. It’s been so long ago that I wrote about losing my beloved Nigel (AG). A friend recently asked if I would take her 15-20 year old AG Kokkie who has had a penchant for plucking and laying eggs. The good news is is the plucking is decreasing and egg laying is a thing of the past. With lots of love she is turning into the best parrot ever. I‘m glad to be back here.
Oh @LeaKP, I'm so thrilled to see you back - it's been far too long!! Awesome news to hear about Kokkie, she will thrive in your loving care, no doubt!! Don't forget to post some pics, will you? Oh I'm just so happy to see you, welcome back Lea!! 😍😍😍

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
This is Kokkie, her feathers are coming back, although she may have a naked neck forever. She’s a shy stripper I guess. 😂
3D7597E0-999C-48BC-8721-4572C1AC1966.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thank you so much. I really have fallen hard for this one. She’s special.
This pic of her just makes me smile every time I look at it - I'm so glad she found you 💝

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
she is gorgeous and so lucky you found each other.

What are the colored feathers?
Do greys have a peach feathers under all of that grey?
Grey’s feathers range from deep grey to a pale grey/white. Females are lighter than the males. Some greys, like Kokkie, have extra red feathers scattered around their bodies (aka Red Factor). Sometimes this just happens spontaneously. Other times, it results from plucking. Females will naturally pluck feathers to line their nests (Kokkie has done this) and sometimes the feathers grow back red.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I actually have been bird sitting Kokkie since November last year. Her owner gave her to me last month (sniff, I was already so attached). She had begun traveling and life had changed. She was grateful Kokkie found a good home. I want to show you all the difference 1 year makes. The first pic is Kokkie last year and the second is this week. I know the lighting is different but the difference is there. In another year, her feathering should be much better. Her former owner told me some years ago she fell and injured her left wing. She can’t fly at all as a result and since she was mostly in a cage for these past years (very large cage) she has needed work on mobility. So there are lots of new natural perches for her in the cage and elsewhere. I see her improving bit by bit every day. Eating is an issue but I deceive her into eating veggies with birdie bread and chop hidden with lots of good stuff. Still a journey tho. She does enjoy the odd pellet but then gives me ”the eye of disdain” because her seeds are so limited. 😂

Attachments

• 2B8AFE0B-72E3-4FC0-A9B3-8CF8FDFF593B.jpeg
    2B8AFE0B-72E3-4FC0-A9B3-8CF8FDFF593B.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 28
  • F90363A4-5EDF-4CCE-850B-15D2C3A68F90.jpeg
    F90363A4-5EDF-4CCE-850B-15D2C3A68F90.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 29
OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Your bird is beautiful! Did you notice that one of her landing gear is missing? 🤣
It seems to have malfunctioned and remains in the underbelly! 😂
Can you imagine standing on one foot with your head turned around and your chin between your shoulders and SLEEPING LIKE THAT! Birds always amaze me.
I’ve often thought of that, makes my shoulders twitch!!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very happy to hear about the addition to your home. Kokkie has all the appearance of a Grey that has found a place to be comfortable. What joy it must be to witness the coming-out of this wonderful soul. Her intelligent's shines in her eye's, she could easily be a trickster and a real joyous addition to your home!

Welcome back dear friend!

Most Reactions

Latest posts