Kokkie’s crumbs, pieces of a Grey’s story.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
@LeaKP, you have SO many beautiful pics of Kokkie and her gorgeous smiling face! Have you noticed the theme of this month's POTM contest? Just sayin'!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Me too. Kokkie’s plucking is almost certainly stress-induced. At first, when I took her out and worked with her, she was plucking at her shoulder feathers. I began just taking her out and sitting with her, no other interaction. She started to settle. Now, she is fine, although I monitor the stress and make sure she has plenty of good food. Her neck is likely going to stay bare to remind us of her stripper past 😂
Being a former stripper is nothing to be ashamed of!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Morning report from Kokkie:

Woke up early with human servants and sat with them quietly behaving oh so cute. Cuddled up near Dad human, making Mom human have googly eyes over the cuteness. They are so easy to manipulate. She will now feed me all the treats I want on the memory of the cuteness.

Then we had family time over breakfast. I decided to create madness and mayhem.

The day has only just begun. I went back to my new condo and gave the stink eye to the pups. They wait patiently for crumbs of blessings to fall from my kitchen.

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Mid morning nap makes everything
IMG_4741.jpeg
better.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Mid morning nap makes everything View attachment 53549better.
What is this mythical "mid morning nap" of which you speak? I am not fortunate enough to have those cos I've always got BIRDS yelling at me!! Oh Kokkie, if only you could pass some of your nap time serenity onto my flock, then we could ALL get some sleep!!!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Good morning all, Kokkie has progressed in her diet! She only ate sunflower seeds when I got her. I slowly began introducing the good stuff, much to her chagrin. However, I made a very fine chop and began feeding that to her with birdie bread containing pureed fruits and veggies. She now finishes everything, I’m so happy. It’s taken months but we’re coming out on the other side.

Edit: however, pellets are a challenge. So, I began crushing them and sprinkling onto her food. She doesn’t seem to notice.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Congrats Kokkie and @LeaKP on her new found improved diet, may it lead to a healthier, happier and longer life for her!!! It's SUCH a relief when we finally manage to persuade them away from all those seeds, isn't it?? I also had GREAT success with the old crushing-up-the-pellets-and-sprinkling-it-on-her-food trick many years ago with a cockatiel called Twinkle who point blank refused them. Even with Fang here to show her they weren't radioactive she refused to recognise them as food, despite my trying every recommendation by my vet, pellet manufacturers, the interweb etc etc for weeks. Finally the crushing thing worked and after a few days she was eating them whole like she'd done so all her life! I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy, and I'm so glad it worked for you and Kokkie!

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Here’s everyone’s reminder to be aware that our beloved fids that are rescues especially can come with built-in behaviors. Kokkie is a shy grey. I let my guard down. She was sitting near my husband on the back of the couch and I went to move her to have her dinner. Her feet must be a little arthritic as her grip isn’t strong. Anyway, she slipped a little and got my hand really well. The AG bite is exquisite. I’ve only had two in 35 years and they are worth remembering. She was very repentant the next day and all is well. But remember the power of the beak and respect it.

Her new name is Vampirina 😆 👹

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our Julio is molting wing feathers and has just completed the regrowth of 4 (two per side) and was just getting use to fully controlled flight when he lost 4 more. My dear wife attempted to taxis him when he slipped and his beak grabbed her finger hard!

Lessen learned the hard way! It is always so very important to be fully aware when handling our feathered loved ones! Grabbing at whatever is close to keep from falling is a hardwired response. Much the same as guarding a loved one. Add the effects of blissful deep relaxation and controlling a hardwired response is limited.

It still hurts both physically and mentally.

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Our Julio is molting wing feathers and has just completed the regrowth of 4 (two per side) and was just getting use to fully controlled flight when he lost 4 more. My dear wife attempted to taxis him when he slipped and his beak grabbed her finger hard!

Lessen learned the hard way! It is always so very important to be fully aware when handling our feathered loved ones! Grabbing at whatever is close to keep from falling is a hardwired response. Much the same as guarding a loved one. Add the effects of blissful deep relaxation and controlling a hardwired response is limited.

It still hurts both physically and mentally.
Ouch sorry! The beak is to be respected!

Kokkie is wondering how she can use this to her advantage…greys are meticulous.

OP
LeaKP

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
The post-early breakfast, pre-breakfast face. Kokkie has a funny appetite. Early in the morning, she likes to eat in her indoor cage a pre-breakfast. She rings a bell and sits still til I fill the bowl. She noshes and then wants out for cuddles (and the famous, very large, morning constitutional). After an hour or so, she goes to the verandah to her almost-aviary-size towering condo and has another full breakfast. Sleep afterwards and madness and mayhem when she wakes up.

I’m enjoying learning her rhythms!
59FBCFD9-872A-4C1A-A68A-B1105D9E8F84.jpeg

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I wonder if this thread ought to be moved to the stories? Should I start another one there?
I would be happy to move it for you if you'd like! You can also re-title this to make it more about your precious girlie if you'd like.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
That would be great! Maybe I’ll call it “Kokkie crumbs, pieces of a Grey’s story.”
Awww I love that title idea! It’s been moved! Let me know if you need help changing the title.

Most Reactions

Latest posts