late evening bath should i be worried?

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
so i posted earlier that i had never seen my conure bath before and this evening he decided to bath in his water dish it was cute watching him and he looked very funny after but i am concerned because i had read it is not good for them to get wet so late as they should be fully dried by bedtime.

Well its about birdie bedtime now and he is not completely dry. Should i be worried? his cage is covered in a fleece wrap and we keep the temp really quite high in our bedroom where the birds also live so he will be warm enough i think even though he is wet.

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
He should be fine as long as you keep him warm, our conure baths late all the time but we have a small heater in our room where our birds are so it is always quite warm, even at night. If you are concerned you could always push back bedtime a little until he is dry or take him out and dry him with either a towel or a hair dryer if he will let you.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I swear sometimes River jumps in his water bowl when it's bedtime on purpose! lol. He knows as soon as he's all wet and gives me that "mommy, I'm all wet and cold" look, I take him right back out for cuddles in a towel until he's dry.

OP
Keinanna

Keinanna

Jan 9, 2012
Parrots
Chewy ~ 3 year old green cheek conure

Toki ~ 2 year old Budgie
ok good i am glad he will be ok he wont let me near him to dry him and i dont know if he would let my bf do it either despite him having bonded quite well to him.

we have an electric fireplace in our room and we have it on a thermostat set to a very warm comfortable temperature some nights it gets so hot even with it being -10 c outside i cant sleep under the blankets so i think he will be ok.

He did get lots of cuddles after his bath from my bf we wanted to make sure poor chewy was ok cause i was laughing at him looking all soggy so he needed to be consoled and cuddled to make sure his feelings were not hurt lol

I would like to have pushed his bedtome back but he sets his own bedtime and gets mad if i watch tv past his bedtime i guess on the plus side i am sleeping better and reading more as a result

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
He'll be fine... These guys are still pretty wild, and in nature they have to bath, when the opportunity arrises...

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
One thing you could do if that ever happens again & you have concern, is to put the cover for his cage in the dryer to warm it & then cover the cage with the warmed cover.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Rowdy does this a lot, too. Then we all end up being up later while I wait for her to dry. I wish she would let me blow dry her. I just keep her full spectrum light on and wait it out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts