learning lessins

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
It's amazing how much I am learning about Zack. Especially in the last week or so since I have started letting him out of his cage. I haven't gotten him to step up yet, I use sticks from my yard and he would rather chew on them than step on'em. He loves to sit on my shoulders but I'm not to comfortable with it yet as he can get a little 'nippy'. He can't balance on a finger or wrist but can on my palm, and will step on it when offered and holding up my hand will stop him from trying to climb higher.

Giving him his daily orange slice is a great stress free way to get him back in his cage!

Now if I could only teach him not to poop on me when he is on my knee!

One question for the viewing public. I was told tonight a good way to teach Zack not to bite is to flick his beak with a finger when he does it. Any comments?

Doug

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
I wouldn't "flick" his beak. I would imagine it could lead to him being afraid if hour hand.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
One question for the viewing public. I was told tonight a good way to teach Zack not to bite is to flick his beak with a finger when he does it. Any comments?

Doug

Not very good advice, IMHO. There are positive ways to teach him not to bite. Flicking their beak could instill a fear response and would probably backfire on you- invoking MORE bites and distrust.

It's easier to watch their body language and understand when they're telling you "I'm going to bite", and even if they're playing you need to teach them what's an acceptable bite pressure. Biting is part of how they communicate; IMO there's always a reason- sometimes it can take a bit of thought to figure out why lol

And as far as you and Zack- because of his previous abuse and his reluctance with men, I would definitely Not try the beak-flicking.

Last edited:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Beak flicking is not a good option at all.

Now sometimes I touch Bosley's beak gently with a finger and so too hard or no bite.
Please remember their beaks are very sensitive, just a gentle touch.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hi, Yeah, please don't do that.

I have three young birds, one of whom is quite large. It's funny, but it's actually easier for me to cope with when he gets too beak friendly. I respond to his aggression, by keeping my finger in his mouth, and reaching around with either my other fingers, or my other hand, and petting him, telling him to go easy.

I don't know if this helps, but I'm fairly confident in saying, that by flicking his beak, you risk not only hurting him, but making him fearful of your hands.

You can always try putting him back down, and turning your back, or ignoring him for a few minutes. You are as new to him, as he is to you. He may be trying to communicate with you, and he doesn't fully understand what is acceptable to humans.

OP
Dougc1369

Dougc1369

Dec 23, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
Parrots
Zack, a Blue Fronted Amazon
I stopped by a bird speciality pet shop today and her advice is the same as all of you. Her advice is to walk away, even if it's for a short time. Her thinking is that they crave attention and walking away is the punishment.

Thanks for the responses, as NBC used to say....the more you know....

Doug

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I'm a bit late to this thread but just wanted to say, walking away, pretending dissapointment, works! My poor Percy looks so forlorn if I put him down and walk away after a too beaky moment that I usually run back within seconds :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts