Leaving parrot for college questions!

messesb52

Aug 28, 2010
NY
Parrots
8 year old Senegal Parrot
Hi everyone this is my first post here. So as the title says, I will have to be leaving my senegal parrot who i've had since he was a baby, my best friend who i've bonded with for 5 years, when I go away to college in a month. My Senegal is bonded very strongly with me, however absolutely HATES everyone besides me and won't even let other people touch him without biting and attacking them. He is in my room and rarely see's anyone else besides me. The most i've left him for was 3 weeks last summer, and although he did fine without me as far as i'm aware, I'm very afraid that he is going to have trouble being without me for so long. So some questions....
1.) Should I consider getting him a friend?

2.) Is he going to get depressed without me?

3.) Will I ruin our bond by leaving him?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
A sennie isn't that big... can you take him?

1) If you don't have time for one, why would you get two?

2) Depends on the bird, and how he adjusts.

3) They remember. We had Bob for two years as a foster bird. When his owner came to pick him up, he about flipped out of his skin... (TO THE POINT OF BITING ANYONE ELSE WHO TRIED TO PICK HIM UP AND TAKE HIM BACK.) SO, possibly, but probably not...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Some years ago, my Red Bellied parrot relative of a Sennie did spend a considerable time alone under an unforseen circumstance. He was fine. Came out of it totally unscathed. Poi's seem to be able to "handle" absences and potentially depressing situations a little easier than most other species IMO. They know how to 'roll with the punches'.

Typically, Poi's are USUALLY very independent and good on their own even for long periods if they have to be. Not ideal, but like I said if they have to be. They are as a whole, much less inclined to develop problem behaviors such as plucking and screaming than many other species. Easy going in that regard. That's one of the many things I love about them. Other than Poi's notorious hormonal aggression, they're easy birds!

It won't ruin the bond. Like Birdman said, they remember. :)

Have a family member visit him in your room an extra time per day :) Just to say hi.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
1.) Should I consider getting him a friend? No , unless you rehome him. He's imprinted on humans now.

2.) Is he going to get depressed without me? Yes

3.) Will I ruin our bond by leaving him? No

I took my amazon to college with me. Even keep her in the dorm for awhile. She went to few classes and labs often. yes that was then and this is now. Things have changed i'm sure. That was also Canal Zone College in Panama. When at college in the states i left her with my parents. She was fine with my parents. Of course she is a well socialized parrot who likes being around people and activities, something we worked on from an early age. It's a shame you didn't think of this earlier. Socialize,socialize , socialize. I realize beating you up won't help this situation but maybe it will help another new parrot owner.

He was fine with your family looking out for him when you where gone before. Can they move him out of your room and into a more active part of the house? Can you start that process now? Leaving him alone in your room for many months at a time won't work out well.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I would also suggest moving him out of your room now and into a more active part of the house- that way he gets used to being around others while your still home for now. Keeping him in your room while your away will most likely make him more lonely.

Other family members should also start spending more time with him, and it'd probably be easier if they did it when you're out of sight/hearing so there aren't any jealousy or attitude issues as they try to socialize with him.

I would advise against getting another bird considering you wouldn't be there to take care of them both.

The other option is to find housing close to campus where you can have him with you- IMHO I think that would be the best option.

netcontents72

Jul 19, 2014
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Parrots
senegal-Sonu
DYH- George
1- as for all the listed reasons- no
2- yes of course
3- he will remember your bond but it will be different when you return because
Sennies are known to bond to one person and can also change who their favorite person is so socialization is key with them to be able stand multiple people. But every bird bonds to each person differently. My senegal was supposed to be my mom's bird but im his favorite,he will let my mom's bf pick him up and pet him but not happily. He sometimes lets my mom pet him and she's the one who cleans his cage and currently is feeding him. He is generally pretty nippy to everyone but me. I hope you are also thinking about what you will be doing the next couple of years as leaving him and only showing up temporally for holidays and summer can be very detrimental to birds as he will start building new bonds with your other family members or bonding to nobody at all. And within the next few years he will become more moody has he begins hormonal adolescence and if left in his cage with out lots of socialization can be come cage aggressive. Once you move him out of your room let him stay out even when you come home so he continues to be used to other people. all in all good luck! may want to ask some more experienced senegal owners as every species is different and they will have more species related tips.

Most Reactions

Latest posts