Local travel question (camping)

theceltichorse

Apr 7, 2011
I am hoping to be doing quite a bit of camping this summer. I have a travel trailer that is about 26' long with a slide out, heat, etc. I was wondering if any of you guys take your birds with you when you camp?

I have 2 dogs that will be traveling with us, but they for the most part ignore the birds while in their cages (I don't allow them to be in/around when the birds are out).

I have 2 young GCC's (they are about 11.5 weeks now). I am also wondering if I bought one of the small travel cages- about 15x15x15 if that would be alright for just the weekend- with both of them in one cage. Right now they are in separate cages.

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I'd be worried about "bird - proofing" the camper. I know ours is far from ready for a flighted parrot. We've kicked around the idea of taking ours with us (our camper is just a little bigger than yours with a slide out) but we aren't ready for that yet.

OP
T

theceltichorse

Apr 7, 2011
My two GCC's are not flighted- they were already clipped when I got them. The lady I got them from apparently got them from the breeder that way (they are re-homed from original owner).

I haven't gotten my trailer out of storage yet- so am planning on checking it out, cleaning it out (wasn't done before storage!), etc. and then seeing. I was just wondering if anyone else has taken their birds camping with them and how they handled it.

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
When I had my parrotlet Lelu, my parents would bring her camping all the time in their trailer. She was pretty happy and used to be hauled around (she would spend time at both our homes and was used to car rides). I'm sure they'd love a weekend with you rather than not, take them into the trailer to get used to it beforehand if you'd like. If they're pretty easy going, they should be fine. All the regular rules apply in terms of things that are toxic (non-stick etc) and don't feed them water from your tanks as the disinfectant residue is hard to get rid of. Bring them bottled water or water from home. I've read of plenty of people who do the same and the parrots are fine. The only other special thing to watch out for are insects that can transmit disease to them. Maybe you want to have a mosquito net over their cage if you are in a mosquito-y place. Otherwise, happy camping! :)

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Oh and watch things like bug spray and mosquito coils around them.

Blackfang320

Apr 18, 2011
near pittsburgh PA
Parrots
a beautiful baby Cinn. Turq. girl Beanie =)
if i were a bird id rather see new things and b with the person i love most rather than sit alone in a big cage home so i say take em with you lol

Tosher

Feb 23, 2011
Media
Albums
We have just come back from a long weekend away camping. Our Lorrie loved it out in the forest, we did keep her in her cage though :rolleyes:.

I would take her again no worries :D

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I say go for it. Like it was pointed out, be careful of the toxic stuff. I would also be concerned about the small cage. It might be tollerable for one bird but two is pushing it.

I believe in taking my animals with me on vacation whenever possible. It killed me to leave my Sennie home for two weeks when I went to the Virgin Islands a couple of weeks ago.

Adz

Jan 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I took Loco away over the Easter long weekend her in Australia. He loves it, he love to travel in the car too and look around from his cage. You won't have any worries, just watch wild birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts