Looking to get a parrot.

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I have had a cockatiel and a sun conure before so I have experience with birds.

I have been doing a lot of reading and my first instinct is to get a cockatoo. I always wanted one but I am reading horror stories and I'm rethinking that idea.

My other two choices are a Amazon and a African Grey.

I am 32, have my own home, work 8 hours a day and have a dog and cat.

I liked when my conure used to squawk for attention, he made sure he was never ignored. Unfortunately I found him dead one morning for no apparent reason. I was playing with him that night and everything was fine.

I am liking for comments from people with real experience. Like I said my first choice would be a cockatoo, but I think it might be a mistake.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Maybe I should introduce myself. I'm Billy from long island.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Billy and welcome to the forum. :)

I think both your ideas, an Amazon or an African Grey would be fine choices for a companion. A cockatoo? Not so much, at least not in my humble opinion.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
The other thing about Amazons us that there are so many varieties, I don't know which one is best. I want a bird that can talk and have a understanding what the words meant. My cockatiel would use phrases he learned at appropriate moods.

I have read that Amazons can get nasty when they go through some changes.

Which is louder a African grey or Amazon?

Any other suggestions?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum Billy! Not all Cockatoos are problematic! Just mainly the bigger ones that have more issues. IF you can adopt one that would be even better but I know they can be a handful for someone new though. I did give up my Java the U2 cause he was very problematic and for the sake of the household, he had to go. My other Cockatoo Dixie the LSC too, now she's a different story, she's the most loving Cockatoo ever! LSC as in Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo. It just all depends on how you train them and if they were given the chance to interact and play on their own. Dixie learns to play on her own without being on me all the time, I think that's why we really don't have much issues with her what so ever. Good luck in whatever you decide! :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Billy, the choice will ultimately be yours. :)

Are Amazons loud? They can be.
Are Amazons "mean"? Some Amazons "can" become aggressive during breeding season, males often more so than females.
Are Amazons cuddle bugs? Mine are, but I'm VERY lucky.
Do Amazons talk? Both of mine talk AND sing.

I could go on and on about Amazons. I love them with a passion. :D The more you socialize an Amazon, the better for the bird. But that goes for ANY bird (the socialization that is).

As for African Greys....I've never had the pleasure of being owned by one. ;)

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I own both a grey and a zon. In my case the zon talks way more then the grey. Both love to spend time with me, but when put away are happy to go back. When it comes to noise level the zon wins in the amount of chatter while the grey wins hands down in volume. He loves to contact call! I would go to a rescue and see if you can spend time with the birds. With in the subspecies there is a difference in birds also. I would say from my experience that TAGs are better adapting then the Congos and my Redlored Zon is as cuddly as any Too I have worked with.

Also if you adopt a adult bird you will have a better idea if it is a talker, or have/will have any issues. Most of the time they have been vet checked and the workers know the personality of the bird. So you now what you are getting. Good luck!

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Which cockatoo varieties are the least problematic? Do you think there is a cockatoo variety that could work. I saw a tribella that was absolutely beautiful and cuddly

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Have you looked at galah cockatoos? I went straight in with a galah as my first bird. Didn't really mean to: I started out looking at conures, then quakers and senegals, but I fell for this individual through regular visits to the shop she was in, did a lot of research and decided to go for it. I'm not sure they're the easiest birds to care for but they do have a reputation for being more easy going and manageable than the white cockatoos.

As far as mine in concerned, it was tough to start with and we always have little dramas to get through, but six weeks in and I'm starting to get a clear picture as to what her personality is like. And she's a lovely bird, very sweet and cuddly in the classic cockatoo fashion but she's quite independent, happily going between me, her tree and her cage throughout the course of an evening. She's also very quiet by parrot standards, never bites with any force behind it, and she's very sociable and friendly towards guests.

I also work during the day, but make sure she gets a minimum of six hours out of her cage and able to be with me if she wants - I do worry about being away during the day though, it's a long time for a bird to be alone. She and the cat get on fine, although perhaps check out the recent cats and birds thread for opinions about this.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
I had a aunt that had a African Grey. African Greys are considered to be smart parrots. Her African Grey would say anything it they said may times. I never had a Amazon or African Grey but research says either one can talk. I have a mini macaw (I know that is not one the table but I think any macaw species has the ability to talk). I heard horror stories of toos but there are smaller cockatoo species. I do not know if a galah (for example) might be easier to please.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I am also biased with Amazons especially yellow napes. Whatever bird you decide to get, let the bird choose you and suggest one in it's 20's so that you do not have to deal with seasonal hormones.

GreyG

Jul 26, 2013
Virginia Beach, VA
Parrots
Cleo (Meyer's)
Bailey (Coral Billed Pionus)
Zoey (African Grey)
Hi Billy. I am new here too, but have alot of experience as a pet bird owner to share. I'd like to weigh in.. First off, I think it is impressive that you're researching in advance!! You are WAY ahead of alot of folks who jump in feet first. I think all three species you're thinking about can make phenomenal, devoted pets. All three have pitfalls that you'll need to research and be cognizant of.

I am concerned that you found your conure dead one day "for no apparent reason" and I'd like to comment on that. I don't know how long ago this was, but please take the time to consider the circumstance leading to your conure's death before you bring your new bird home. Birds don't die for no reason...something was up, and I'd be certain to cover all the bases. I'm guessing you didn't have a necrosy performed...and you didn't mention how old your bird was. But, in my experience, if there was a health issue, you likely would have noticed something in the last day or days....was your bird lethargic? What did the poop look like in the days preceding death? Did it sleep more than normal? How much did your bird eat that last day? Runny nose/nares? Maybe the death was due to an environmental factor....Did you cook with teflon cookware that night? Buy a new Glade plug-in or other air freshener, or burn a scented candle? Was an exterminator in your home or neighborhood that day? Did you perhaps feed your conure some apple seeds? There is a reason out there, and you need to make sure you understand it for the sake of your new bird. Give it some thought, please.

I've had an Umbrella cockatoo, currently have a Grey and have wanted an Amazon at various points over the last few years. All are awesome choices, it all will just come down to what fits you and your lifestyle. All WILL be loud, messy and demanding - all CAN be sweet, loving, well-behaved and loyal pets. It will really boil down to how you (& more importantly- the breeder) raise your baby. This is where your research will pay off - THAT is what having a pet bird is all about, IMO. I have had parrots for most of my 45 years, and I'm still learning about them every day. I've made mistakes. I want to help you learn from my mistakes.

Finally, one last item for you to consider. All three species have a very real chance of outliving you....it will truly be a lifetime commitment. You'll need to take that into consideration when in your estate planning. I know that at 32, that sounds crazy. But it is a factor that will come up sooner or later -- plan now.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I was playing with my conure the night before he died, there was absolutely no indication he was sick. He was usual self playing with me being himself. When I woke up in the morning he was dead. It was heart breaking. This happened about 7 years ago.

I am pretty sure I'm going to get a red front Amazon. They seem to be the best fit for I want. I am trying to be responsible about this and do my research. I think a cockatoo would be a bad fit.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hi I 2nd the Rosebreasted 2 .I have a grey ,zon and 3 toos . I hate how the internet can talk you right out of a species . Talk to owners that have species you want . If you really want a too [than do it] . Any species can hard or easy [its what you put into them] .Just be willing to think outside the box [when you come across problems] Heres my Owen ,hes quiet ,affectionate and likes to play [he even talks a lot].
pinkbirdy-albums-more-birds-picture9242-wings-003.jpg

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
That rose breasted cockatoo is really nice. Its different than the big white ones I always liked.

What is the temperament of the rose breasted cockatoo vs a Amazon?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I hate to say [I love birds so much] I could talk about each of mine forever . I have a Blue frnt ,He was the most challenging one of my birds[but taught me a lot] He is more moody than my RB2. But he also loves me to death. I feel I can interact with him most out of my birds . Like I say - come here and he says,no or hold on . I would say I love the challenge of a zon [but mine also referred to as a Hot Zon]. The Rb2 is easy, goofy personality [The zon is a show off].Both want your attention . Toos need structured times out of their cages [and with you] ,They get stressed if they cant count on their out of cage time. They don't have to be hard [you just have to think ahead].

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
Had anyone had Abby experience with a Tribella cockatoo? This is what I really want but I don't want to be irresponsible. The bird would be living in my living room and I have a very attentive playful cat that would more than likely want to be friends with the bird. She already plays with my dog. When I come home, I would let the bird out for play time. There would be some one on one time but the bid would be interacting with me a lot from it's perch on too of it's cage and get a scratch and a kiss. I don't think I could devote a few hours a day cuddling a cockatoo, I'm just being realistic a my dog and cat need attention too.

Most Reactions