Lost Kizzy out the Door!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am so so sorry. I have you and Kizzy in my heart. Stick with us, okay?

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Also post on FaceBook (make sure the post is public) and call every vet's office within a hundred miles. Then send them flyers in the mail, or email them, depending on what they say. Many people who find a lot bird will take it to the vet, or call the vet saying they found this green bird. Same with pet stores, call and email/write. Think what you'd do if you found a parrot .. catch it right away, then try to locate the owner, right? Though some people don't do the latter ... check Craigslist but beware scammers, don't give out too much info. You know, school is in session ... might not be a bad idea to see if the local high schools will let you post something on the bulletin board or in a school publication - kids talk to kids and one of them might know something.

Can you stay near a window during the day so if Kizzy is near she will see you? I'm saying all these words because I feel so helpless. I hope she comes back soon. If you saw where she went, and can walk in that direction, you might come across someone or something helpful.

OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
No sign. And now I'm sure. I can't stand this.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Ladyhawk my heart breaks for you. We went through this just before Christmas. Somehow , our blue managed eight days in the wild with extreme heat, heavy rain, and gusty winds. He was found in the township over.

In the end, social media was the winner. We hammered every facebook site, local buy sell site etc and made plenty of posters to flood the main street. Eventually, the person who found him couldn't find our initial posts but knew she had seen somewhere, something about a loose parrot.

It was gusty when he took off, and so I only spent ten/twenty minutes on that initial search before switching to getting the word out. The quicker you can flood your neighbourhood with social media and posters, the more eyes are out looking. They might not help you actively search, but they will know to report her if she's seen.

I'll watch this with post with great hope. I'm thinking of you. Be kind to yourself xx

Last edited:

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Also,it was Henry's calls that attracted Clarke down off the tree.. do you have a little bluetooth speaker or something of the like? I'd play amazon calls out of that.
I understand the hope and panic when looking for her, but when you are calling her, make sure you have as much control over your voice as possible. Keep it lively, warm and upbeat - she needs you to sound familiar.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
My heart is breaking for you, I know this hurts. Keep up the efforts though, she wants to be found!

Inger

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
There’s also an app, and maybe a corresponding website, called NextDoor. It connects you with other people in your neighborhood and gives you one more way to get the word out.

I’m sending all my beat thoughts to you and Kizzy, hoping she finds her way home soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
When I was a child I lost a budgie, we found Joey over a week later. There was no internet or www then so we relied upon placing cards in every newsagent window. He actually made it around 10 miles away and across very busy roads.

Dont lose hope!

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Hang in there sweetheart. Another day away doesnt mean further away. Keep searching and ill say a little prayer for Kizzy to return safely soon /hugs x

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Do not give up.
Another suggestion is contacting and putting up flyers at the local and state police. My vet just got a IRN that the State police found on the road..

Your getting excellent suggestions from our members, I know how much you are attached to Kizzy - don't give up, but you have to actively seek her!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Please let us know how you are holding up, PM if preferred!

I would second Al's suggestion of contacting law enforcement, and also fire control. They generally have a big heart for animals.

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
Keep at it - less than a full day has elapsed, and the first 24 hours are absolutely crucial. The weather and climate is on your side for the moment and isn't much worse through the weekend.

Call her name, leave her cage by the door, spread flyers, have anyone who will lend a hand cast a wide net looking for her.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
I am so sorry to hear this. I'm not sure if anybody else suggested this but sometimes Facebook has local missing animal pages for your city or community. Have you tried searching that? If such a page exists you can post on it as well. I am hoping for a speedy safe return home!

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hugs. Hope you have good news soon! Don't give up hope, I've even heard stories of people reuniting with birds lost years ago.

Keeping you in my thoughts

Soyajam

Feb 9, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Remi - Eclectus (Hatched August 2017)
Don't lose hope!

Sometimes birds are scared when they escape, some little rascals think it's a blast that they got to get out and don't want to come back immediately.

Eventually though, every parrot gets hungry, thirsty or scared. When she feels that way Kizzy will look for you, and if you aren't there Kizzy will look for SOMEONE.

The more info that's out there, the better the chance that when Kizzy does find someone, they'll know who she is and where to go with her.

Sending my thoughts and best wishes from across the other side of the world!

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
It really seems like this is happening far too much lately. Way too much.

When new members post, as much of a downer as it might be to do this, mods should direct them to a stickied post in whichever sub-forum on developing good habits, securing exits, and not becoming complacent: an ounce of prevention....

It's happened to me (though I was inordinately lucky to retrieve Mochi last February when she flew through the door, with the help of my SO on a dark and snowy night, in around 5 minutes), it's happened to veterans and newbies alike, and dammit, it's just terrible and tragic and I seem to be seeing positive follow-up about successful recoveries far, far less often than I would like.

Exhorting all readers to occasionally review best practices for avoiding these awful accidents, if it does even a drop of good, would be well worth it imho.

Last edited:
OP
Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
I'm a mess. I'd appreciate it if you guys could check classified ads. Maybe someone got her and is trying to sell her. You have enough pictures and videos of her to tell whether or not it's her, at least until she molts.

It should be easy to find my "LOST" notices on Facebook. I don't want to share personal info directly here.

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
I’m so sorry! I’m fairly close to you (Shingle Springs, Ca). I’ll start scouting Facebook and all the Northern California bird forums.

Most Reactions

Latest posts